Some feature requests

Smurfalert

Some feature requests

Postby Smurfalert » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 am

Really REALLY like this, particularly the portability. Having my latest notes with me wherever I am is invaluable... I've been using Evernote for quite a few years but it's become too feature-rich for a simple note-clipper, and I can't cope with the post-it note style programs. This look set to take its place.

A few suggestion based on my usage experience so far of the M5 version:

1) Allow the Cintra main window to be resized narrower - I've got a wide screen monitor and like to have something like this narrow but deep at the side of the screen so I can see the notes alongside what I'm working on. At the moment, it's locked at a minimum width of about 400px wide, which means it partially underlies whatever editing program I'm working with. I can't see the reason for this.

2) A "shrink on screen" option. My system tray isn't too overcrowded but the less that goes in there, the better IMHO. At the moment I use Winroll http://www.palma.com.au/winroll/ to roll it up to just the title bar out of the way, and despite the warning on the Winroll site there, I can still use my hot key "copy and paste" combo to send a new note to it. Maybe a "minimize to tab" option or even a built in button that does the same might be useful for other users.

3) I want to position the main window top right in the monitor... but when I do this, the edit window opens partially off screen - it seems to be centred over the main Cintra window - resizing it and repositioning it isn't "sticky" when I close it. As soon as I open another edit window it's partially back off screen again. Can this be made sticky in size and position so that it opens consistantly where I want it?

4) One thing I've been using Cintra for is to store URLs when doing a browsing session - I don't particularly want to clog up the bookmarks on the browser, I can be selective. But then I can't drag to select and then paste directly out of the resulting note displayed in the list on the main Cintra window - I have to open the edit view, which is a pain when all I want is a line of text. Which is frustrating given the edit positioning problem above!

5) When I select "copy" then "paste" from the main Cintra window, the note is pasted into my document with the date, time and note title. Most times I don't want this and have to delete it. See 4) above! Could this behaviour be toggled off in options in a future version?

6) When I have a note edit window open, and I hit my "copy and paste" hotkey, it creates a new note. I expected it to paste into the open edit window! It's no big deal as I can merge the two notes, but It would be useful to have an option to control the behaviour of the hotkey copy command when the note edit window is open? Perhaps a menu-selectable option selectable to paste into the open edit window / create a new note, and a third option that pops up a radio button choice box when the hotkey is pressed

7) After copying and pasting via the hotkey combo, I'd prefer focus returned to the document that a note has just been copied from, rather than left with the Cintra main window.

One small bug - I can roll up the main note window with Winroll, but when I unroll it, the text fails to display until I switch focus to another program.

Hope this doesn't seem too negative... it never ceases to amaze me that guys like you can create little masterpieces like this and present them as freeware. Brilliant work!
hitsmaxft

Re: Some feature requests

Postby hitsmaxft » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 am

it should allow user creates folders for orgnizing notes
Smurfalert

Postby Smurfalert » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Have you though about using tags for organizing notes??

One more request to add to the list I've already posted:

I've shrunk the note down to 7 lines in view to keep them manageable. How about a button on the note in the list view to fully expand/shrink the note? That way you could then use the scroll bar to view the entire note!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 am

Hi Smurfalert,
thank you very much for the feedback!

Smurfalert wrote:1) Allow the Cintra main window to be resized narrower
Yes, this has already been requested. I'll see what I can do:)
Smurfalert wrote:2) A "shrink on screen" option. My system tray isn't too overcrowded but the less that goes in there, the better IMHO. At the moment I use Winroll http://www.palma.com.au/winroll/ to roll it up to just the title bar out of the way, and despite the warning on the Winroll site there, I can still use my hot key "copy and paste" combo to send a new note to it. Maybe a "minimize to tab" option or even a built in button that does the same might be useful for other users.

Sorry I didn't quite get the exact UI you are asking for, but maybe the option to make clipping "silent" (i.e. without showing the main CN window, just with a balloon tooltip for confirmation) would fit the bill?
Smurfalert wrote:3) I want to position the main window top right in the monitor... but when I do this, the edit window opens partially off screen
This has been fixed in the BetaM6 version.
Smurfalert wrote:4) One thing I've been using Cintra for is to store URLs when doing a browsing session - I don't particularly want to clog up the bookmarks on the browser, I can be selective. But then I can't drag to select and then paste directly out of the resulting note displayed in the list on the main Cintra window - I have to open the edit view, which is a pain when all I want is a line of text.

Do you want to select the text or the URL? If it's the URL, you can just Alt-Click (or press F3) on a note to browse it's URL, and you don't need to open the editor. Or did I get you wrong?
Smurfalert wrote:5) When I select "copy" then "paste" from the main Cintra window, the note is pasted into my document with the date, time and note title. Most times I don't want this and have to delete it. See 4) above! Could this behaviour be toggled off in options in a future version?
Yes, I will definitely make it configurable.
Smurfalert wrote:6) When I have a note edit window open, and I hit my "copy and paste" hotkey, it creates a new note. I expected it to paste into the open edit window! It's no big deal as I can merge the two notes, but It would be useful to have an option to control the behaviour of the hotkey copy command when the note edit window is open?

Yes I think this is a good idea. Seems to be a logical thing. I guess I'll implement it (but make it turnable off in the options).
Smurfalert wrote:7) After copying and pasting via the hotkey combo, I'd prefer focus returned to the document that a note has just been copied from, rather than left with the Cintra main window.
Yes this is the so called "silent clipping" which has already been requested and is on the roadmap.

Smurfalert wrote:One small bug - I can roll up the main note window with Winroll, but when I unroll it, the text fails to display until I switch focus to another program.
Seems to be a problem with Winroll. But I'll look into it anyway and see what I can do.

Smurfalert wrote:Have you though about using tags for organizing notes??
Yes, of course I did! there's even an option in the feature request poll: "Better tag management".

Smurfalert wrote:I've shrunk the note down to 7 lines in view to keep them manageable. How about a button on the note in the list view to fully expand/shrink the note? That way you could then use the scroll bar to view the entire note!
Good idea! The only problem here is that we'll immediately have people complaining that they can't edit notes right in this "zoomed" view)

Smurfalert wrote:Hope this doesn't seem too negative... it never ceases to amaze me that guys like you can create little masterpieces like this and present them as freeware. Brilliant work!

Not at all, on the contrary, your suggestions were very helpful) Thanks!))
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am

hitsmaxft wrote:it should allow user creates folders for orgnizing notes
Section(category) tabs are on the roadmap, so stay tuned)
Alex
Smurfalert

Postby Smurfalert » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:48 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Smurfalert,
thank you very much for the feedback!

You're welcome! It's rapidly become an essential tool on my USB key!
Sorry I didn't quite get the exact UI you are asking for, but maybe the option to make clipping "silent" (i.e. without showing the main CN window, just with a balloon tooltip for confirmation) would fit the bill?

Yes, that would work nicely...

This has been fixed in the BetaM6 version.

I'll download that now - thanks!

Do you want to select the text or the URL? If it's the URL, you can just Alt-Click (or press F3) on a note to browse it's URL, and you don't need to open the editor. Or did I get you wrong?

Ah.... right, I missed the hotkey function for that - that's useful.

However, I'd still like to be able to select and copy/paste any text direct from the main list view, without having to go via the edit window.

Seems to be a problem with Winroll. But I'll look into it anyway and see what I can do.

OK, I can live with it, particulary when "silent clipping" is enabled.

Smurfalert wrote:Have you though about using tags for organizing notes??
Yes, of course I did! there's even an option in the feature request poll: "Better tag management".

Sorry, should have used quotes (and I'm a forum mod myself!! :oops: ) - that was intended for hitsmaxft. Something that would help tag management would be a drop down list... I tend not to use them on my blog etc, because I end up with variations like To Do, to do, ToDo, Must Do and so on..

Good idea! The only problem here is that we'll immediately have people complaining that they can't edit notes right in this "zoomed" view)

It's one reason why I like the simplicity... it makes it easy to figure, and there are generally simple work arounds to the odd functionality issue.

Not at all, on the contrary, your suggestions were very helpful) Thanks!))

Excellent!

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”