Supporting of unicode character

marun2

Supporting of unicode character

Postby marun2 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 am

First, I love Cintanotes! I am so in like with the concept of all notes available at your fingertips just for the typing, as it brings up notes when searching!
These are some minor bugs which I found yesterday.

First bug
I tried to copy paste some text from web page but one character was not recognized, I thought it was unicode or emoji or something like that, But I am not sure.

I went to this web page
http://friendfeed.com/pierce/f7e5406f/yes-i-will

Try to copy this part: "pea-fierce as a woozle" and paste into CN as a new note. The heart shaped character is not appearing. It appears as an empty square.
marun2

Re: Supporting of unicode character

Postby marun2 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 am

This is another case of such problematic unicode character:

Go to this page
http://www.textbroker.com/blog/authors/ ... ation.html

Go to the second comment, and try to copy the two lines starting with "Interrobang's are..." as a new note. The last character is nt recognized (the interrobang character), and appears as a empty square.
ale

Postby ale » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 am

Usually when a character appears as a box it means there's a missing glyph in the font used to render the text. I think it's not a bug in CintaNotes, so for example about the first piece of text, try and set the text font in CintaNotes (menu View > Note Appearance...) to Arial or Courier New and you should see the heart.
About the second piece of text, you can try a font like Lucida Sans Unicode.

Now the puzzle thing I didn't understand... in the second web page, text is set with Verdana and I see the Interrobang character, but if I open the character map and look for this character in the Verdana font I can't find that glyph. So I made a little experiment, wrote a web page with this sample style and that phrase

Code: Select all

style="font-family: Verdana"
well if I save the page and open it with Firefox or Opera I see the character, if I open the page with an old browser like Internet Explorer 6 I see the box. So maybe modern browser are smart and try some kind of font/glyph substitution while old IE tries to show the character with Verdana and fail to do so. I don't have a better explanation right now :) anybody happen to know how it works? Alex?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:08 am

Great answer, ale!

To marun2: try setting the 'Arial Unicode MS' font for both title and text.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”