Copy & Paste Database BUG [class sqlite: Database exception]

RDionysus

Copy & Paste Database BUG [class sqlite: Database exception]

Postby RDionysus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08 am

Man, I got no luck with these 'Notes' programs. I have been searching for weeks for a desktop notes program to help me with my long days of computer work in my web design business. Something simple, but efficient and well behaved. After trying almost a dozen programs, I thought I had found it in Cintanotes, and was about to say "Eureka!", but alas, it seems not to be.... Literally within 1 minute of installing CN for the first time, I was hit with a Sqlite Database Exception error. The details:

Error Description:
    class sqlite: Database exception
    SQLite error 1:
    unrecognized token:
    "<long string of apparently random ASCII gibberish>" (see attached photo)

What I was doing:
    Very simple- I had an open .TXT file (plain ASCII)
    I selected 1 sentence of text from the text file, copied, right-clicked on open Cintanotes window, selected PASTE
    Boom-- Error"

My setup:
    A fresh install of Cintanotes V 1.1C
    A very stable system running Win XP Professional SP3
    The first time I got the error, CN had just been installed, and there were no other notes in the database
    I have duplicated the error many more times after that, even after notes had been entered into the program via other methods (CTRL-F12, for example)

I was so sure my Notes program search had come to an end. I really hope you can fix this!

Screenshot:
kranor

Re: Copy & Paste Database BUG [class sqlite: Database exception]

Postby kranor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:57 am

Unable to duplicate using CN 1.1C and also CN 1.2P5 on XP SP3 and Win7 home premium. Your turn Alex :D
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:19 am

Hi RDionysus,

thanks for the report! Could you tell me please what program was it you copied the text from? Was it notepad or something else? Thanks
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 am

RDionysus

You HAVE found a great note taker

With lots of happy users

Nod
RDionysus

Postby RDionysus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I have an update on this. Although I don't know what the root cause is, I have managed to determine that it is one specific program (that I know of) that is bringing out the error.
The program is the text editor "Notepad2" (V 4.1.24, http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html)

If I copy and paste from a web browser - no problem.
If I copy and paste from any other text editor I tested (regular Windows Notepad, PSPad, Notepad++) - no problem.
But CintaNotes is not playing nice (or vice versa) with Notepad2, as the copy and paste routine originally described above raises the error every time, whether I copy a whole paragraph or a single word. Perhaps something is piggy-backing on the content as it is placed in the Clipboard, but I'm not sure, unless I have a chance to do a hex dump of the clipboard to examine its contents. I've tried different encodings with Notepad2 (ANSI, UTF-8, etc.), but nothing seems to help. Maybe one of the coders here can take a look, and I may drop the author of NP2 a line and see if he wants to get involved, as there may be a bug in his program.

Although this is a PITA for me because the feature-rich Notepad2 is my drop-in replacement for Windows Notepad, I like CN enough that I will continue to test it out, and it will probably be a keeper. I'll just have to work around the above issue.

Still, it probably warrants a look on the part of the CN authors, to see if the fault lies with CN, or determine whether a similar problem could occur when copying from other programs.
kranor

Postby kranor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 am

Confirmed. Error does occur when using copy and paste to paste text into CN. Interestingly error does not Occur when Clipping into CN :?: :?:
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:40 am

Ok I was able to reproduce the error with this Notepad2 program.
I've registered the bug on the roadmap:
http://cintanotes.userecho.com/feedback ... -notepad2/

In case the problem is on CN side (which probably is the case), I'll try to fix it asap, but it may take a little while.
Alex
mhf

Postby mhf » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:33 pm

I tried to reproduce it here with CN 1.2 and Notepad2 4.1.24 but it all works fine - I tested it both ways : into CN and back...
RDionysus

Postby RDionysus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:38 am

mhf wrote:I tried to reproduce it here with CN 1.2 and Notepad2 4.1.24 but it all works fine - I tested it both ways : into CN and back...

:? Unfortunately, for me it's still happening, using the same prog versions you mentioned. What OS are you on?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Ok I was able to reproduce the error with this Notepad2 program.
I've registered the bug on the roadmap:
http://cintanotes.userecho.com/feedback ... -notepad2/

In case the problem is on CN side (which probably is the case), I'll try to fix it asap, but it may take a little while.

FWIW, here is the email reply from the author of Notepad2, which I received after I pointed him to this thread:
Notepad2 author wrote:Thank you very much for your feedback and for your problem report.

I can't imagine what's the problem, as other programs work fine
pasting content put to clipboard by Notepad2. If the problem also
occurs with other Scintilla-based editors, it may be something with
the Scintilla component. Let me know if you can test this, then the
problem report could go to the Scintilla mailing list.

--Florian

In any case, I think I'm gonna stick with CN, and hope that this little problem eventually gets fixed. Thanks for your action on this.
--
mhf

Postby mhf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:31 am

@ RDionysos

OS = XP sp2
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 am

Please try the version below!
Attachments
CintaNotes_1_2AP1.zip
(607.82 KiB) Downloaded 2984 times
Alex
RDionysus

Postby RDionysus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 am

@CintaNotes Developer: Yes! :D :D That new version seems to have done the trick. Excellent work on fixing that; it's nice that I don't have to disrupt my current setup to continue using CN. Thanks again.

@mhf: That's interesting that those older versions were working for you on XP. I had no such luck getting the two programs to cooperate until he posted the update. BTW, you might wanna patch that to SP3. 8-)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 am

RDionysus, that's great.
The problem was indeed in CN, it attempted to extract the title of the window that put data into the clipboard instead of getting to the top-level parent of that window.

This fix will be included into the next released update.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”