Two databases

oded

Two databases

Postby oded » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:54 am

I'm looking for a way to run two different databeses of CN. I don't mean and don't need to run them simultaneously. At any given time just a single db would be open.
Currently My Cintanots folder contains the exe, settings and db files.
I guess I have to create another folder for the second db file.
What other files should be placed in the second (new) folder and what changes should I make to accomplish what I need?
I want of course every db to be backuped correctly.
Thanks for any help.

Oded.
DennisG

Re: Two databases

Postby DennisG » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Oded.

I have two databases that I run concurrently — one for work and one for my personal notes. I copied the entire CN application into a new folder, MyCintaNotes. I renamed the database MyCintaNotes.db and edited the settings file to point the notebook.file parameter to MyCintaNotes.db. To get it to run simultaneously, I created a .bat file to run MyCintaNotes with the -i switch. Finally, I changed the global hotkey from Ctl-F12 to Ctl-F11.

Regards,
DG
Midas

Postby Midas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Great tip, DennisG. Added to the T&T sticky: http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156.
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
oded

Postby oded » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:36 pm

DennisG wrote:Hi Oded.

I have two databases that I run concurrently — one for work and one for my personal notes. I copied the entire CN application into a new folder, MyCintaNotes. I renamed the database MyCintaNotes.db and edited the settings file to point the notebook.file parameter to MyCintaNotes.db. To get it to run simultaneously, I created a .bat file to run MyCintaNotes with the -i switch. Finally, I changed the global hotkey from Ctl-F12 to Ctl-F11.

Regards,
DG

Thank you Dennis for your help. Much appreciated :)

Oded.
Shef

Postby Shef » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:05 am

hi there,
thanx a lot for this tip. It is really cool to have several separate notebooks. :!: I've managed to do the first part, but not sure about the second. :?:

DennisG wrote:
To get it to run simultaneously, I created a .bat file to run MyCintaNotes with the -i switch. Finally, I changed the global hotkey from Ctl-F12 to Ctl-F11.

Could anybody give me detailed instructions, i understand little in such things
DennisG

Postby DennisG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Shef,

You'll need to change the paths to your configuration, but here's what I did:
1. After copying the entire CintaNotes application to C:\USB\MyCintaNotes, I created the bat file,
C:\USB\MyCintaNotes\runMyCintaNotes.bat. It has one line:
C:\USB\MyCintaNotes\CintaNotes.exe -i

2. DoubleClick on it to execute it. You'll get a DOS window and then CintaNotes should appear. Close the DOS window, if you like. CintaNotes will keep running.
3. Go into Options/Hot Keys and change the "Clip text hot key" and the "show main window hot key" to your preferences. I changed mine to Ctl-F11 and Shift-Ctl-F11. This way, my work version of CintaNotes uses the default Ctl-F12 settings and my personal notes use Ctl-F11.
4. I also went into View/Color Theme for my personal notes and changed the color so that I can visually distinguish them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
DennisG

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”