CintaNotes synced via LiveMesh

Ritergal

CintaNotes synced via LiveMesh

Postby Ritergal » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:12 am

I don't have a DropBox account, and I am already using LiveMesh to sync all my docs between my desktop and laptop. After a bit of cogitation, I was able to set things up CintaNotes in a separate LiveMesh folder. Here's the drill:

1. Downloaded 1.3 and installed it on my desktop into a folder of its own at root level on a drive other than C:, just in case there would be sync problems with the C: drive.

2. Exported all notes from 1.2 into an XML file, imported that into 1.3.

3. Tweaked a couple of settings in CN.

4. Went to my LiveMesh page onlline and synced the CintaNoes 1_3 folder. By the time I walked into the other room and checked, CintaNotes 1_3 was in my personal folder on the laptop, with settings correct and all notes intact. I'm not 100% thrilled with that folder location, but it'ill do.

This seems like an ideal way to use this tool for anyone who syncs only with self and uses LiveMesh. It's always going to be available even when I'm off-line with the laptop, refreshing as soon as I'm back online. The LiveMesh Achilles Heel for other apps is their inability to refresh active files. CintaNotes can do that. Yay!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: CintaNotes synced via LiveMesh

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 am

Hello Ritergal,

thanks for sharing your experience with us! Glad that you got it working for you.
A couple of comments:
I think that the synchronization guide here
generally will apply to LiveMesh also (and any other sync service).

The proper way is to have only the .db file in the synchronized folder. Otherwise all your settings will be shared as well,
including things like window locations, which may not be desirable if you use different screen resolutions.
And don't forget about the backup files - they will be conflicted unless you put them out of the sync folder!
Alex
Ritergal

Postby Ritergal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks for the additional info Alex. I'm especially glad you posted the link to those sync instructions. I googled all over the place looking for that, and searched the Forum, but it didn't show up. I even looked at that very page but failed to notice the heading. Duh! Looks like an easy fix to move the other stuff out of the LiveMesh folder.

I'm in the middle of a huge project with most research done via the web. CintaNotes is quickly becoming my right arm. I can keep everything in one place, quickly searchable, without formatting concerns. Enormously better than using a Word doc. Thank you, thank you!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 am

It's strange that it didn't show up. In the future versions the overall sync configuring will be made simpler, there are requests for that on the roadmap.

And, you are welcome!
Alex
Ritergal

Postby Ritergal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:03 pm

I did find references to posts various places from people who were successfully using DropBox, but not the details of how they set it up. It may be one of those instances where I stand and stare right at the product I'm looking for on the shelf, but can't see it until the store employee points to it...

So thanks for pointing it out.
Ritergal

Postby Ritergal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks to the guidance of the DropBox instructions, I did get things untangled.

Here's the revised drill for those setting it up the first time:

1) Install as usual on the main machine, moving cintanotes.db into a new folder of its own.

2) Edit the settings file for that machine to include the path statement in notebook.file = .

3) Install on the target machine(s), but delete the database.

4) From the main machine, open the LiveMesh control panel and set up sync for the cintanotes.db folder. LiveMesh will create a corresponding new folder in Username on the target machine(s).

5) When you are sure of its location, edit the notebook.file = line in the settings file accordingly on the target machine(s).

You could actually have any number of files in that folder, or put the db in an existing synced folder.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”