[Other] Emailing notes

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
8%
Would be nice to have (+1)
50%
I don't need it personally (-1)
25%
Don't do it (-2)
17%

Total votes: 12
tincanman

[Other] Emailing notes

Postby tincanman » Tue May 26, 2009 7:34 pm

It would be nice to be able to email a note from within Cintanotes.

Copying and pasting into another program works of course, but just a suggestion.
Last edited by CintaNotes Developer on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Add Tag and Roadmap reference...
Midas

Re: [Suggestion] email and print (#9)

Postby Midas » Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Printing is already in the Roadmap for the commercial CintaNotes version (1.0), but i agree that emailing would be a convenient addition.

Maybe it could even be made multi-note, by appending the notes textual export to the message via MAPI. It could also provide a workaround for printing in the non-commercial version, as it would make possible printing via the email client -- although that possibility exists already via text export, only notes titles and bodies get exported. But I digress...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
tincanman

Re: [Suggestion] email and print (#9)

Postby tincanman » Wed May 27, 2009 7:49 am

Never thought of that, but yes an 'email this' command would be perfect for both sending and printing. I didn't envision anything pretty, just a note that you could print and take with you (specs for a cell phone you wanted to go out and buy, for instance) or refer to a friend. Ideally it would use gmail or thunderbird or outlook as default client options.

Thanks for the reply and the opportunity to comment. I've just strated using Cinta and it has big big potential I think. I can now tell you what the wallpaper on my laptop is if you want; all those little jarte text notes are gone.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Emailing notes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 am

Guys, let's not mix the two features, emailing and printing. They should be in different topics.

As for myself, I've never used that "Email this" context-menu commands which seem to be put on the spot you hit indtead of "Copy" or "Paste" when you're in a hurry and then you wait for the mail program to load.
But of course I admit that it might be different for people other than me and emailing it really the action which is done quite often. So I guess the following implementation would be the best compromise:
- "Advanced" submenu in note context-menu, with "E-mail this" command and other commands which are used not so often;
- A shortcut for use by those people who really need this.
Alex
tincanman

Postby tincanman » Fri May 29, 2009 8:17 am

perfect
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri May 29, 2009 10:39 am

I am one of those that email everything, mostly to myself... :oops:

The Web browsers I use most (mainly K-Meleon & Orca) have customizations/addons just for this, so I have context menu options to dispatch either links, selections or full webpages as email messages.

As you can tell, I am fond of variety :): I use different browsers, I have many mail accounts, and many (preferably portable) programs that I use. The explanation is this: I'd rather use a simple program that does one thing really well, than some behemoth who tries to do everything and doesn't get anything right.

TotalBalance

Re: [Other] Emailing notes

Postby TotalBalance » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Before I found out about CintaNotes (great effort by the way) I used Stickies for similar functionality. The primary reason for changing to CintaNotes was your tagging functionality, absent in Stickies.

However, Stickies allow one to email individual notes, absent in CintaNotes. Now that so many web services allow one to email content/info to a unique email address, it's become a VERY important feature to me.
Scenario:
I capture some content into CintaNotes, make some edits and wish to
1) add as an Evernote note (my digital KB)
2) add as a task in Manymoon (adhoc project mgmt)
3) and/or communications/memo in BatchBook (CRM).

Each of the above apps have user specific email addresses to allow for this functionality.

It would be great if I could select 1 or more CintaNotes Notes and email them, with Title, tags, hyperlink, content, etc. entact, to the above sevices.
Additionally, email functionality facilitates collaboration and sharing of notes among colleagues, friends and family.

Please consider adding this functionality :-))

Thanks in advance.

Lars

FYI, my work-around for now is:
1) copy 1 or more CintaNotes notes to clipboard
2) use Evernote's clipping feature and paste clipboard content to Evernote as a new note.

Unfortunately, only the CintaNote body text carries over, not title, tags, hyperlink.
On the plus side, I've now migrated captured info to my digital KB and from there can email the note(s) as needed.
Last edited by TotalBalance on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:54 am

Hello TotalBalance and thanks for your message!

You might wish to vote here: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/3217-search/ in order to speed up implementing of the emailing functionality. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very popular among CN users at the moment.

Considering copying to the clipboard: if you use Ctrl+Shift+C, the whole note contents will be copied and not just the text.
Hope this helps!
Alex
TotalBalance

Postby TotalBalance » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:30 pm

Thx. Alex for telling me about Ctrl+Shift+C, that will really help! I've also added my vote ;-)

Lars
Midas

Postby Midas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Although I've had this gripe in the past, it just struck me back in the face yet again:

<rant>

I can't for the life of Jess understand how a simple and basic feature like emailing, something present in almost every app today, gets downvoted to negative values. I mean it would be enough not to upvote it for it to get a lesser priority, right? :evil:

</rant>

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Midas wrote:I can't for the life of Jess understand how a simple and basic feature like emailing, something present in almost every app today, gets downvoted to negative values. I mean it would be enough not to upvote it for it to get a lesser priority, right? :evil: </rant>

I feel that I might have put my hand into this via encouraging users to downvote features that they don't need.. Sorry, Midas! :oops:
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I'd slap the bottom of anyone else but you, Alex... :mrgreen:

Return to “Feature Requests”