Just want to say Thanks! (and a question)

PeeWee678

Just want to say Thanks! (and a question)

Postby PeeWee678 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 pm

What a great little product. The moment I´m writing this I´m downloading the update with Multiple Tags search (just what we needed!) What's so great about this little Gem?

- Light and portable
- Simplicity rules!
- Flexible (export to XML)
- Multifunctional (is able to copy text from titlebar (handy!), is a knowledgebase, is a quick note taking thingie, is a thoughtmanager....)
- I even run it from a network-USB-stick (in my router) (Warning though: although this works almost perfect: reordering the items corrupts the .dat file when running remotely. Luckily the program now comes with an automatic backup :-)

One question: would it be possible to get a warning (simple dialog) in case of accidentally trying opening multiple instances? I have multiple CintaNotes folders and I'd like to have a warning (now I'm in risk of messing things up).

Please keep it slick, small and clean. That's what makes this program one of my favorites! Thanks a lot!

One more thing: I really hate the captcha system in this forum! I discovered the search in text bug in version M7 (shortly after it came out) and wanted to post about it so I tried to register but after 10 (!) failed attempts to read the captcha text I got the message that I had to wait for another attempt. I hate captchas in general but this one really beats them all (well, maybe I'm also a bit mentally challenged but still...) Sorry for my rant (and my English) :roll:
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Just want to say Thanks! (and a question)

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Hello and thank you very much for your feedback and all the nice words!

PeeWee678 wrote:- I even run it from a network-USB-stick (in my router) (Warning though: although this works almost perfect: reordering the items corrupts the .dat file when running remotely. Luckily the program now comes with an automatic backup :-)

Wow, that's a serious issue! Are you sure that's it's reordering that is to blame, or could it be just a coincidence? How reproducible is it and how many times have you witnessed such a corruption?
PeeWee678 wrote:One question: would it be possible to get a warning (simple dialog) in case of accidentally trying opening multiple instances? I have multiple CintaNotes folders and I'd like to have a warning (now I'm in risk of messing things up).

Yes, actually this is exactly how CintaNotes used to behave until I got a request to remove that warning;) It was times when there was no hotkey to show CN window. I guess now I can return the warning. In the meanwhile, you can use the different color themes for different instances.

PeeWee678 wrote:One more thing: I really hate the captcha system in this forum! I discovered the search in text bug in version M7 (shortly after it came out) and wanted to post about it so I tried to register but after 10 (!) failed attempts to read the captcha text I got the message that I had to wait for another attempt. I hate captchas in general but this one really beats them all (well, maybe I'm also a bit mentally challenged but still...) Sorry for my rant (and my English) :roll:
Thanks for bringing this up. Not long ago this forum has been attacked by spammers and I had no choice but to make captcha very hard. But once you manage to register here, you don't need to enter any captchas anymore.
Alex
PeeWee678

Postby PeeWee678 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi Alex,

About the "serious issue": well I guess it is... But the question is: is it really a bug? I actually thought these kind of problems were to be expected when running a program remotely sometimes (but I'm certainly not an expert on this).

To answer your question: when running the program remotely (and only then) each and everytime I reorder one of the Items in the list, my .dat file appears to be corrupted the next time a restart the program ("stream error" and sometimes another error I can't recall now). So it´s totally reproducible. I will test it some more and if I'll come to another conclusion I´ll certainly let you know. If it is a bug: it would be nice if it can be fixed.

EDIT: I tried it again and I noticed something. When I took an item and moved it one step up all went well. The second time though, I did what I did yesterday: I took the bottom Item and moved it all the way to the top. I closed the program, restarted it and than I got a dialog: Error (titlebar) with the text: "bad allocation". I hope this helps somewhat?

EDIT2: When running the program from (the USB-stick) on a remote computer (instead of the USB stick in my router), I do NOT have this problem!!

I discovered the following bug however (has nothing to do with remote running): I can't move an item up or down more then 8 or 9 steps (when moving in a list of about 60 items). To be precisely: I can move it all the way to the top or bottom but after restarting the program, the Item has only moved 8 or 9 steps. I encountered this problem very often (9 out of 10 times?) but not always.

Multiple instances: Yeah, I already use different color themes for different instances (but it's still a bit dangerous/tricky). Would be great to see the warning return!

Can't wait for the next version (including export selected Items I hope ;) )

Keep up the good work!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:33 pm

PeeWee678 wrote:To answer your question: when running the program remotely (and only then) each and everytime I reorder one of the Items in the list, my .dat file appears to be corrupted the next time a restart the program ("stream error" and sometimes another error I can't recall now). So it´s totally reproducible. I will test it some more and if I'll come to another conclusion I´ll certainly let you know. If it is a bug: it would be nice if it can be fixed.

EDIT: I tried it again and I noticed something. When I took an item and moved it one step up all went well. The second time though, I did what I did yesterday: I took the bottom Item and moved it all the way to the top. I closed the program, restarted it and than I got a dialog: Error (titlebar) with the text: "bad allocation". I hope this helps somewhat?

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce any of these errors. Was note search active when you did the reordering?

PeeWee678 wrote:EDIT2: When running the program from (the USB-stick) on a remote computer (instead of the USB stick in my router), I do NOT have this problem!!
Hmmm. Interesting. So the problem maybe with the router?

PeeWee678 wrote:I discovered the following bug however (has nothing to do with remote running): I can't move an item up or down more then 8 or 9 steps (when moving in a list of about 60 items). To be precisely: I can move it all the way to the top or bottom but after restarting the program, the Item has only moved 8 or 9 steps. I encountered this problem very often (9 out of 10 times?) but not always.

Can't reproduce as well ;(. Is it content independent (Does it also occur on an absolutely new notebook)?
Or maybe you could send the offending notebook over to bug@cintanotes.com ? (if this is not possible I'll totally understand).
Thanks.

PeeWee678 wrote:Multiple instances: Yeah, I already use different color themes for different instances (but it's still a bit dangerous/tricky). Would be great to see the warning return!
Will return it in the next version.

PeeWee678 wrote:Can't wait for the next version (including export selected Items I hope ;) )

Yes, this will be in M8.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”