german "Umlaute" not supported

Thomas Lohrum

german "Umlaute" not supported

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 am

When entering an uppercase character as a marker, it will be converted lowercase automatically. However, this does not function for german "Umlaute", that it "Ü", "Ö" and "Ä". Because of this, entries marked with such a tag won't be found. Solution: convert uppercase Umlaute to lowercase.
ale

Re: german "Umlaute" not supported

Postby ale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:When entering an uppercase character as a marker, it will be converted lowercase automatically. However, this does not function for german "Umlaute", that it "Ü", "Ö" and "Ä". Because of this, entries marked with such a tag won't be found. Solution: convert uppercase Umlaute to lowercase.

Thanks for the report, I made a few tests and it's true, the uppercase to lowercase routine doesn't convert umlauts at the moment. However if we insert lowercase letters and umlauts directly, search seems to work correctly. My understanding is that tags are meant to be inserted in lowercase form, so to have a better context for the problem, I would like to ask, did you report this "bug" because you simply found it while using CintaNotes, or does it affect your day to day usage of the application?
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes, the search for markers is ok when the marker was created using lowercase, e.g. "übersicht".
I encountered that problem when actually using a marker "Übersicht" (engl. overview).
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 am

Hi and thanks for the report!

This behavior happens because CintaNotes uses a simple C library routine to convert to lowercase, which does not support international characters. There exists a free library that does that (ICU), but it is 17MB in size - so bundling it with CintaNotes is obviously not a option.

For now I'm going to register this bug on the roadmap and later I'll probably think of something to do with it.
One option would be to abandon automatic lower-case conversion whatsoever.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:27 pm

The windows function "CharLower" from user32.dll does the job.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Is there a specific reason why you can not use that function?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip!
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Would that still be a problem the other way around -- from lower to upper case, like I once suggested? :?:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm

It really doesn't make that much difference, one can have problems either way ;)
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”