[Editing] Text editing enhancements

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
Midas

[Editing] Text editing enhancements

Postby Midas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Now that CintaNotes seems to be rather mature already, simple amenities readily available in other products of similar functionality could be very welcome. My top suggestions would be:

1. A function key shortcut for date text string insertion while editing -- F5 would be a good candidate, since it is used for the very same purpose in many other programs, such as Windows Notepad, for example (just try it, if you want to see what I mean...);

2. An Upper/Lower/Invert case conversion shortcut would be next on my list -- Notepad doesn't have this, but a lot of other editors do, although the example that springs to my mind right now is the Shft+F3 shortcut of MS Word;

3. Lastly, the main use of taking notes is to be able to reuse the captured content, in which case selection auto-copying to the system's clipboard could really save a lot of key presses.

Something alike to 1. has already been suggested and is on the roadmap (see http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/6394-search/), but perhaps it has not been getting the right amount of attention due to its menial nature; and I'm sticking here only to insertion on the note body -- when creating URL lists, for example, adding last accession time is mandatory in academic work. ;)

I found no mention of 2. on the roadmap but editors like Notepad2 and UltraEdit among many others are able to do it. As for 3. there seems to be a suggestion already on the roadmap (http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/6867-search/) but I'm affraid Alex didn't get its usefulness -- meaning an option could exist in CintaNotes that would allow any text selected in it to be automagically copied to the Windows clipboard, thus saving the extra step of pressing Ctrl+C, which really gets tiresome when you have more than a couple of snippets to copy (see NFOPad for a free example of this).

IMHO, these simple enhancements would prove much more worthy than the 'Basic text formatting support' that now occupies the top spot on the suggestion list. Let's see how this goes... :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Editing] Text editing enhancements

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 am

Great ideas, Midas!
1. This is, as you mentioned, already on the roadmap, but is a bit lagging behind in votes.
2. How come this was not on the roadmap? Added now.
3. This would be really very useful. I somehow misunderstood the direction of the copy, thought the request was for CN to copy everything the user selects in other apps. My bad ;)
I think this will go really nicely with this request.

For basic text formatting, don't get me started.. it turned out to be insanely difficult, since it required a lot of changes :(
But those who voted against, don't worry: you will be able to turn it off.
Alex
Midas

Re: [Editing] Text editing enhancements

Postby Midas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks, Alex. :)

For the record, though, I didn't vote against text formatting, I merely abstained, since I feel there are other more needed features, like the ones I suggested here...

Which, for instance, would turn CintaNotes into a full fledged text editor -- the only feature that could possibly be added after that would be syntax highlighting and I think that is somewhat beyond its scope, right? :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/

Return to “Feature Requests”