Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Guest wrote:it has a lot of potential. i like the "lightweight" character of your programm.
Features i would like to see:
- better tag management
autofill already used tags (must have feature), tag labels on the side to click on
-linking data
Have your ever heard of wikidpad? The best thing about this programm is the easy way of linking infos using wikiwords.

Hello and thanks for trying out the program! I'm sorry for the delayed response.
The tag-related features you mentioned are already set for development.
About note linking, I was thinking about it, and maybe will implement this using a special tag "id:".
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

kranor wrote:Hi Alex
I would like to have the ability to drag and drop notes into a different order. This will enable grouping either by date not created(default) or by importance. As an alternative have the first three note positions protected from auto assignment and allow user defined notes only to use these positions. Anyway something like that.

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion!
In M7 you can move notes around using Alt+Up/Down keys. Note sorting/grouping is also a planned feature.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 pm

eddy wrote:If I click a existing note, it opens for editing with the cursor is in the header/subject field. Since the note is not new, it is more likely that you want to edit the body/notes field. So I think it would be better if the cursor would be at the end of the text of the body/notes field.
There were already people complaining that note body was focused by default and not the title, so I changed that;) There's no way for the program to guess which field you want to edit first. Some notes are for appending, and in some notes you frequently change the title. I guess the best way out would be to make this configurable..
Alex
Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for this great application, I love it!
However, there are always unfulfilled dreams: I'd like to see that CintaNotes also records the page number when taking a note from a PDF file. That would be very, very handy.

Many thanks and keep up the great work,
Bob
Puh

Postby Puh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 am

A missing Feature is Password-Protection. IF you use CintaNotes on a Multi-User Computer or you put the portable CintaNotes on a USB Stick, the Data should be protected with a Password and strong encryption.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 am

Bob wrote:However, there are always unfulfilled dreams: I'd like to see that CintaNotes also records the page number when taking a note from a PDF file. That would be very, very handy.
Many thanks and keep up the great work,
Bob

Hello and thanks for trying the program!
About page capture: I really don't know if it is possible, but I'll see what I can do.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 am

Puh wrote:A missing Feature is Password-Protection. IF you use CintaNotes on a Multi-User Computer or you put the portable CintaNotes on a USB Stick, the Data should be protected with a Password and strong encryption.

Notebook encryption is on the roadmap for the commercial version of the program. In the meanwhile, you can use external tools like Microsoft Private Folder to get CintaNotes folder and thus your notes password-protected, or better use a separate Windows user profile, put CintaNotes into your profile folder, and encrypt it.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Hansys wrote:Command line support would be great. Create new entries without maximizing the programm. Something like -note \hide "text=,tags="

Would it really be easier than pressing a hotkey?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 pm

toddclausen wrote:I've recently been thinking a note archiving feature would be useful. This could be implemented as a special notebook when multiple notebook support is added. The idea is to move really old or seldom used notes to an archive. An example is when using CintaNotes for a Todo list, or for research projects. A check box could be added to the note editor view, or a special tag used to move the note to the archive notebook when no longer needed or the task is complete. This would keep the working notebook small, but allow search if I wanted to see what I had completed in the past. Haven't really thought out all of the details yet...

Yes, this is a great idea! I would even go further, and allow for each note to optionally specify when it will "expire", ie be no longer relevant. And globally you'll be able to set for how long any note should be considered relevant by default - 6 months, 1year, 2 years etc.
(This also should somewhat ease the problem with huge notebooks people keep asking for ;)
Thanks a lot Todd!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Guest wrote:As an notes power user i'd request the following features:
- Custom sorting with drag and drop, by title, date, etc.
- Custom coloring of single notes for fast and intuitive recognition - Maybe on a category basis:
- Note categories maybe with tabs

Hello Johannes,

thanks for trying out CintaNotes!

All the features that you mentioned are already on the development roadmap, so stay put for new versions!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 pm

mgainer007 wrote:Have the ability to associate a custom note field with a hot key. The idea would be whenever the hot key was pressed your application would search the currently highlighted note for the custom field and then copy the contents to the clipboard. The custom note text could look something like this, FieldName::<<Text to copy to clipboard>>.

Hello mgainer007,

thanks for your post and sorry it took me so long to get to it!
The feature you are suggesting seems a bit specific to me. Maybe if you could describe
what is the problem you are trying to solve with this solution, I would be able to suggest a more general approach.
For example, I'm planning something similar for the commercial version of the program, namely, parameterized tags. So that you'll be able to create tags like "price:50" or "name:'John Smith'" and use these tags in search like "price < 100". Would this be helpful?
Alex
okick

Postby okick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks for the great app! What about the following features:
--
1) sider-bar that groups notes added in certain date range(today, yesterday, last 7 days, this month, etc.)
2) a trash group for deleted notes (so that we can restore them later)
3) save .data file to AppData folder or LocalSettings folder

BTW, when I click a partially displayed note, the list is auto-scrolled to move it into view. This seems more a bane than a benefit to me. An unexpected scrolling scares me, always. Anyone else find it an acceptable user experience?
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:58 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hello danei,
[...]
>4) delete empty lines automaticly.

What if they are used for text layout?
[...]

While using plain text only, it can safely be assumed that all >=2 consecutive blank lines can be reduced to a single one...

My 2 ¢ :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
okick

Postby okick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Midas wrote:While using plain text only, it can safely be assumed that all >=2 consecutive blank lines can be reduced to a single one...

Can't agree more :o
mgainer007

Postby mgainer007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi Alex,

The idea is to tag note body text and then have the ability with a hot key to quickly copy the tagged text to the clipboard without having to search through the note body text to find the specific item your wanting to copy.

While typing up this explanation I thought of a revision to my previous post. There would be a single hot key that you press to pull up a dialog listing all of the available note body text tags for the currently selected note(s). You would pick the desired tag and then that tags contents would be copied to the clipboard.

One example would be the ability to replace the current application I'm using to store user names and passwords.

The note would be defined something like this:

Note Title:
Cinta Notes Forum
Note Body:
This website forum is for a killer note taking application.

Username::<<mgainer007>>
Password::<<somepassword>>

Note Tags:
website forum login
Note Link:
http://cintanotes.com/forum

Step 1: Press the hot key to display Cinta.
Step 2: Search for the note using the note title or note tags.
Step 3: Use the browse link feature to pull up the website.
Step 4: Highlight the username login field on the website.
Step 5: Press the hot key to display the note body text tags. Pick Username from the list. “mgainer007” is then copied to the clipboard. Paste the contents of the clipboard into the website username field.
Step 6: Preform the same process for the website password field, only picking the Password note text body tag.

Another example would be using it for text/code snippets.

The below example would show a list of note body text tags with the tag names of DatePart and TimePart. So the code between DatePart::<<code example>> or DateTime::<<code example>> would be copied to the clipboard depending on which tag name you picked.

Note Title:
T-SQL Date and Time Split Functions
Note Body:
DatePart: Returns the date part of the datetime value.

Syntax: DatePart ( @DateValue )

Arguments: datetime value.

DatePart::<<
CREATE FUNCTION dbo.DatePart
  ( @DateValue datetime )
RETURNS varchar(10)
AS
BEGIN
  RETURN ( CONVERT(varchar(10),@DateValue,101) )
END
GO
 >>

Example: SELECT dbo.DatePart('03/06/2009 09:07AM')

Here is the result set:
 ----------
03/06/2009

TimePart: Returns the time part of the datetime value.

Syntax: TimePart ( @DateValue )

Arguments: datetime value.

TimePart::<<
CREATE FUNCTION dbo.TimePart
  ( @DateValue datetime )
RETURNS varchar(10)
AS
BEGIN
  RETURN ( CONVERT(varchar(7),right(@DateValue,7),101) )
END
GO
 >>

Example: SELECT dbo.TimePart('03/06/2009 09:07AM')

Here is the result set:
 ----------
09:07AM

Note Tags:
sql code snippet
Note Link:
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:36 am

mgainer007 wrote:The idea is to tag note body text and then have the ability with a hot key to quickly copy the tagged text to the clipboard without having to search through the note body text to find the specific item your wanting to copy.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation of your idea! I think I finally get it, and it really seems that you are trying to use CintaNotes in a way it was not designed for. I'm really sorry, but I would like to hear other people asking for this feature. Yes I might extend CintaNotes in this direction, like adding a possibility to assign a hotkey for pasting notes, but I'm afraid it still won't be enough for you. As much as I hate turning people away from CintaNotes, there really are cases when other software is a better fit. I would recommend trying something like Flashpaste.

So, please, anyone who would either want this feature in CN, or knows of a software better fitting for mgainer007, please comment! Thank you.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 am

Midas wrote:While using plain text only, it can safely be assumed that all >=2 consecutive blank lines can be reduced to a single one...

Ok, I'll think about it ;) in any case I think the user should be able to turn this thing off.
Alex
eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:24 am

Hi,

I have a request that I think has been requested before already.

I would really like to see sorting added.

A new note is currently stored all the way at the bottom of the notes list, so when I want to read my latest note(s), I have to scroll all the way down. I would rather see the latest notes added to the top of the list and the list sorted by date in reverse order so the newest notes are stored on top and the oldest at the bottom.

Or at least give the option to make the notes list automatically jump to the latest note.

Thanks for a great app!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Eddy
mgainer007

Postby mgainer007 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:As much as I hate turning people away from CintaNotes, there really are cases when other software is a better fit.

I like CintaNotes so well, that I decided to write my own AutoHotKey script to perform automated logins using CintaNote text copied to the clipboard. I'll need to use this approach for a week or so, but so far it seems to work just as well or better than any other solution I've tried.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 am

online or post to http://www.delicious.com

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”