[Managing] Unique numbering of notes

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
18%
Would be nice to have (+1)
64%
I don't need it personally (-1)
9%
Don't do it (-2)
9%

Total votes: 11
chrisz

[Managing] Unique numbering of notes

Postby chrisz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:26 pm

How about giving each note a unique (sequential) number??

When creating notes, it is sometimes necessary to refer to other notes. Now I need to this by copying its title or creation date. A number is far easier and more foolproof.

Even better is when this referring number is a clickable link. You can then easily jump to the other note (or open it next to the note you are reading).

The most powerful expansion is when you can search for all notes that referring to the note you are reading. This way, you can view all notes that are in someway related. For example if each note is a step in a process.

OK, I might get a little overexcited :mrgreen: , but a unique number next to the date would be very nice.
Last edited by chrisz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Managing] Unique numbering of notes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:12 am

Have you considered tagging the related notes with a unique tag? This is probably the simplest way to connect them.
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:30 am

Couldn't this ID be auto inserted? It would be rather welcome to me... ;)
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 am

I guess the top level requirement here is a means of cross referring to other notes.
Giving each note a number is just one means of implementing this; but for me, putting a number on each note would waste space.
I’d prefer another implementation, e.g. right click on note to get hyperlink to it.
Nod
kranor

Postby kranor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 am

I can see what chrisz is getting at and I can envision lots of occasions where a tag just does not do the job. I also think that both Noddy330's and chrisz's solutions are good in their own right for different uses. In fact I would like to see both solutions implemented. The note number needs to be non volatile and needs to be searchable. I would not bother with making the note number linkable. But I would like to be able to link notes together via an internal hyperlink style system for instance I have a note that requires me to produce something, I then have 8 other notes containing the production steps. I would like to have the overall production note to point at all of the step notes and each step note to point at the production note. Bear in mind that I work in the aerospace industry as a planner and at the moment I am working on planning system development these features would both be extremely important to me.

Could we agree to split this into two feature requests with polls?
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 pm

kranor wrote:I can see what chrisz is getting at and I can envision lots of occasions where a tag just does not do the job. I also think that both Noddy330's and chrisz's solutions are good in their own right for different uses. In fact I would like to see both solutions implemented. The note number needs to be non volatile and needs to be searchable. I would not bother with making the note number linkable. But I would like to be able to link notes together via an internal hyperlink style system for instance I have a note that requires me to produce something, I then have 8 other notes containing the production steps. I would like to have the overall production note to point at all of the step notes and each step note to point at the production note. Bear in mind that I work in the aerospace industry as a planner and at the moment I am working on planning system development these features would both be extremely important to me.

Could we agree to split this into two feature requests with polls?

Hm, it seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that what you actually need is an ability for a note to contain another notes in a hierarchical-outliner style.
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Methinks linking should be easier than includes, both from programming and managing standpoints... or am I misguided?
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
kranor

Postby kranor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Hm yes and no, both really ( Dont I make life easy for you!! :lol: :lol: ) We need notes in a hierarchical system and also a non hierarchical system but object linked. I have shown this to my head of department and he is using it at home. He is thinking of requesting a commercial purchase once CintaNotes comes out of Beta and reaches Version 1.5 or so. (by the way that would be about 3500 users worldwide)
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
chrisz

Postby chrisz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:26 am

Thank you all for replying and sorry for this rather late reply.

I presume a real hierarchical view is a bit over the top for a tool as this. Cintanotes should remain clean and simple. A hierarchy requires careful linking by the user, and I really appreciate the simple way notes are jotted down now.

When a unique ID is automatically assigned to each note and you can revere to this number in other notes, it's fairly easy to do a search for all notes that are referring to each other. In a way, the result will be hierarchical view, but very simple to maintain and use.

There are at least two drawbacks in using the tags for numbering as Alex proposes. The first is that it is more work. The second is that it is difficult to be sure the numbers are unique. (Sorry Alex, I'm pretty lazy ;) )

I added a poll for the following functionality:
- Cintanotes automatically adds a unique ID to each new note
- This number is visible on the title bar
- The user can refer to other notes by inserting a kind of hyperlink to this ID's
- You can do a search, starting from one note, resulting in a list of all related notes

Please vote!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am

kranor wrote:Hm yes and no, both really ( Dont I make life easy for you!! :lol: :lol: ) We need notes in a hierarchical system and also a non hierarchical system but object linked.

Well, how about a "copy link" and "paste link" commands? This would insert something like a special hyperlink into note's text. So when you need to link to some note, you find that note, right click, "copy link", then go to the original one and paste the link. And you'll have not just some abstract ID, but a nice underlined target note's title.
Of course this would require some formatting support (hyperlinks) and non-modal edit window. Therefore it's a bit more difficult to implement.

kranor wrote:I have shown this to my head of department and he is using it at home. He is thinking of requesting a commercial purchase once CintaNotes comes out of Beta and reaches Version 1.5 or so. (by the way that would be about 3500 users worldwide)

Wow, that would be really cool :) Will keep me even more motivated) Thanks for promoting CN this way!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:44 am

chrisz wrote:I added a poll for the following functionality:
- Cintanotes automatically adds a unique ID to each new note
- This number is visible on the title bar
- The user can refer to other notes by inserting a kind of hyperlink to this ID's
- You can do a search, starting from one note, resulting in a list of all related notes

Please vote!

Please also consider the option with copy link/paste link approach.
And there's also a third alternative: an optional unique-id field in note properties,
which would allow to give notes some meaningful names instead of numbers.

Also, I'm really opposed to having the ID in the titlebar, because it:
1) can't be copied to clipboard
2) will create visual noise: it will be there even if you don't need to link notes
3) might scare off newbies
Alex
chrisz

Postby chrisz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:58 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also, I'm really opposed to having the ID in the titlebar, because it:
1) can't be copied to clipboard
2) will create visual noise: it will be there even if you don't need to link notes
3) might scare off newbies

Alex,
You've got a point here. And I do like your alternative with "an optional unique-id field in note properties".

This would work OK for me. I guess for me the important parts are a unique number and the search option.
schompsel

Postby schompsel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 am

Interlinking notes is one of the most useful options ever.
I love tomboy and the only reason I'm considering cintanotes is due to the fact that I really need something portable. As far as my tests are going, cintanotes really is a smooth little program, which does everything I could ever wish for except - you're guessing right - the ability to link between notes.

Is there any chance that this feature will be implemented in the near future?

(If I've just proofed my inability to use the search function properly please hit me with a link)

cheers
schompsel
kranor

Postby kranor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Schompsel please look at this and vote if you want this feature

http://cintanotes.userecho.com/topic/3393-linking-notes-with-each-other/

Return to “Feature Requests”