Backup under Vista

david_c

Backup under Vista

Postby david_c » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm

I installed CN under XP with no problems. Using the same installer file under Vista (CintaNotes_BetaM7_Setup) resulted in 2 issues:

1) No backup subdirectory was created.
2) notebook.dat is not in the main CN directory. When I search for notebook.dat it shows it to be in an obscure directory ("VirtualStore") which is not addressable using my backup utility.

No problems running CN under Vista; just can't find the bloody user file. :(
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Backup under Vista

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:14 am

david_c wrote:I installed CN under XP with no problems. Using the same installer file under Vista (CintaNotes_BetaM7_Setup) resulted in 2 issues:

1) No backup subdirectory was created.
2) notebook.dat is not in the main CN directory. When I search for notebook.dat it shows it to be in an obscure directory ("VirtualStore") which is not addressable using my backup utility.

No problems running CN under Vista; just can't find the bloody user file. :(

I guess you must have installed CN into the "Program Files" directory. In Vista, it is not writable, but for backward compatibility the writes get "virtualized".
In CintaNotes Help, this situation is described in the "Installing CintaNotes" section:
Also please pay attention that if you have Windows Vista and install CintaNotes into the Program Files folder, your note data and settings will be stored separately in the Application Data folder, so simple copying of the CintaNotes folder will result in a fully functional but empty application. You can find and copy your data files manually.

So all you have to do is move CintaNotes to some other folder outside of Program Files, like C:\Apps\CintaNotes.
Alex
david_c

Re: Backup under Vista

Postby david_c » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Ah, yes. I do recall seeing that before. My bad.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”