Minor correction and a suggestion

david_c

Minor correction and a suggestion

Postby david_c » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:35 am

There are 2 references in "CN Help" that relate the use of the "Alt" key with the function of changing of the search mode. I believe these should be corrected to read "Ctrl" instead of "Alt". At least that's how it works for me.

REF #1:
How can I change the search mode in the search box without using the mouse?
Press Ctrl+F and then Alt+Down (S/B Ctrl) to display the menu (or you can press Ctrl+Up/Down/PageUp/PageDown to switch search modes one-by-one.

REF #2:
Alt+Down (S/B Ctrl+Down)
Opens the search mode menu.

While on the same subject I would like to make a sugggestion:
Since Ctrl-F serves no useful function other that to emphasize focus in the search box, it could automatically display the "search drop down list".

I am liking this app a lot. Can't wait for M8. :D
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Minor correction and a suggestion

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:54 am

Thanks for you input!

david_c wrote:How can I change the search mode in the search box without using the mouse?
Press Ctrl+F and then Alt+Down (S/B Ctrl) to display the menu (or you can press Ctrl+Up/Down/PageUp/PageDown to switch search modes one-by-one.
This is a regression bug, which is caused by note reordering! Ctrl-Down doesn't display the menu, but Alt-Down should (when search box is focused), so it's the program that's incorrect, not the Help. The bug will be corrected in Beta M8.

david_c wrote:Alt+Down (S/B Ctrl+Down)
Opens the search mode menu.
The same here, Ctrl+Down does not open the menu, it just switches the active item of this menu.

david_c wrote:Since Ctrl-F serves no useful function other that to emphasize focus in the search box, it could automatically display the "search drop down list".

I disagree here. I personally use Ctrl+F to go to the search box to make minor corrections to the search string, thus I don't have to type the whole search term all over again. I think having shortcuts for individual search modes (like e.g. Ctrl+T for searching tags) would be a better solution.
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[...]
I disagree here. I personally use Ctrl+F to go the search box to make minor corrections to the search string, thus I don't have to type the whole search term all over again. I think having shortcuts for individual search modes (like e.g. Ctrl+T for searching tags) would be a better solution.

I concur wiht this, but find that FKey combinations would most of times be a better choice.

:geek: Let me elaborate: I was once upon a (long, long) time a Wordperfect for DOS user, and in WP Help one would find a section regarding shortcut keys, which had a template that you could print out and lay on top of your keyboard for easy visual guidance with shortcuts (the system was so effective, that a decade after the effective demise of WP, MS Word was still offering a WP compatibility mode).

I don't recall the real shortcuts anymore, but here's an imaginary example: F3 alone would do search, SHIFT+F3 would do change text case, CTRL+F3 would do print text, and ALT+F3 would do reveal codes. There would be other (sometimes redundant, like CTRL+F for search) key combinations but the FKeys scheme was so powerful that after a while one wouldn't need any keyboard template to easily remember most shortcuts. I believe you could take on that for grace and profit... :)
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
david_c

Postby david_c » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I disagree here. I personally use Ctrl+F to go to the search box to make minor corrections to the search string, thus I don't have to type the whole search term all over again. I think having shortcuts for individual search modes (like e.g. Ctrl+T for searching tags) would be a better solution.

Good thought. I concur with the use of individual shortcuts. I also think that Ctrl+F could be used as a global shortcut to show all search modes via the dropdown list.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:34 pm

david_c wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Good thought. I concur with the use of individual shortcuts. I also think that Ctrl+F could be used as a global shortcut to show all search modes via the dropdown list.

I think if Ctrl+F will suddenly display a menu many users will get upset. There is such a shortcut, although it's a "double" :) Ctrl+F, Shift+F10. I guess I'll add something simpler to the mix, smth like Ctrl+Alt+F
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”