Search crash

slkwrm

Search crash

Postby slkwrm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:49 am

Hello,

First of all, thank you for this great piece of software. I've been using it for a couple of years and everything worked ok until I switched to win 7.

Now when I search in modes other then Tags using search box in main window sometimes after I type the second or third symbol the program crashes. It happens almost every time, so body and title search features became practically unuseable. It's a pity, cause I like this program a lot and use it every day. That happend in 1.5.2 and now after upgrade in 1.5.4. I thought it's possibly connected with antivirus (Kaspersky) policy, but even after turning all security restrictions off I still get this error. One more thing that can matter is that many of my notes are in Russian.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Search crash

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am

Hi slkwrm and thanks a lot for the report!

I will need some exact data from you on how to reproduce this behavior.
What exactly happens - does program exit, or become unresposive, or you can press ESC and it will return to normal state?
Is "Exact search" mode on or off when the search crashes?
Have you experienced this problem on only one PC, or on multiple PCs?
Can you reproduce the problem on another PC?
Where is CintaNotes folder located?
Does the problem come up if you install CintaNotes to another location (outside Program Files)?
Does the problem come when you use another .db file?
Could you please post here an XML file with some exported from CN notes that can be used to trigger the error, together with the exact search query that triggers it?

Thanks a lot!
Alex
slkwrm

Postby slkwrm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am

Hello,

Also I forgot to mention I use win 7 x64. After the crash program exits. Actually, now I tested one more time and program crashes only in Text Only, Text and Title and Anywhere. So the problem seems to be with the text field. It crashes in both Exact search on and off. Haven't try to reproduce this behaviour on another machine yet. My db path is: D:\Docs\Dropbox\CintaNotesDB\cintanoteswd.db so as you can see I use it with Dropbox, sync is enabled and it worked ok on Win XP before.

Wow, actually, I've just found out what seems to produce the error :) When I set "Preview text lines" max = 1 in "Note Appearence" crashes happen (with min equal both to 0 or 1), so it seems like this is the settings when bug appears.

Cheers.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm

This is great! I could reproduce the error, thanks for your outstanding detective work!)
The fix will be released together with the 1.5.5 version which is scheduled for this week.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm

I think I've fixed it.
Please try this executable:
Attachments
cintanotes_1_5_5p2.rar
(693.11 KiB) Downloaded 2150 times
Alex
slkwrm

Postby slkwrm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, that was fast! Now I think I should do this report earlier :D Thank you again for this great note-taking tool (and quick support here).

Do you plan to include any new interesting features in future releases? What would be great to have is some GTD functionality, you know, some todo-workflow features, maybe even a reminder and calender, but I'm not sure about that. Actually, I like CN as it is, and what I don't like is modern bloatware, so maybe it's good to leave simple things simple :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25 am

Yes there are loads of features planned for future releases, I suggest you take a look at the roadmap and vote for features which you'd like to see.

Also I'm wary of Cinta becoming bloatware, therefore every new feature is thouroughly scrutinized before being implemented.
If the feature can hurt performance or clutter the UI, it becomes optional.
Alex
slkwrm

Postby slkwrm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Thank you! Sorry, haven't been here for a while. I'll check out the roadmap and maybe propose something useful.

Return to “Bug Reports”