Links to images (and files) inside text

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
Mark S.
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm
Contact:

Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Mark S. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I see someone has suggested that you should be able to link to local files inside of text. I'm surprised it has so few votes, since this would solve many information storage requirements and would probably not be too hard to implement.

In particular, if we could link to local images then it would go a long towards compensating for CN's lack of image capabilities. Sometimes a picture really is worth a 1000 words. We can already link to images if they happen to be on a web server ... so this would just add the file:// protocol.

Thanks for listening,
Mark
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Mark,
but CN already supports the file:/// protocol.
Try entering this:
file:///C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\windows\img0.jpg

Another question would be that entering this link by hand is not convenient and CN should allow to pick the file from disk. We have this already planned.
Also of course with the planned attachments feature you'll have the choice wether to insert a link or to copy the file into your notebook (storage type will be selectable, either in .db or in a folder designated for attachments).
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Another question would be that entering this link by hand is not convenient and CN should allow to pick the file from disk.

ehm..., let me drag&drop the file to the notes editor to create a link to it, will you? :)

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:ehm..., let me drag&drop the file to the notes editor to create a link to it, will you? :)

We'll try, but drag-and-drop, and especially system wide drag-and-drop is a complex thing (requires implementing COM interfaces etc.),
so I can't promise it will appear at once.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:ehm..., let me drag&drop the file to the notes editor to create a link to it, will you? :)

We'll try, but drag-and-drop, and especially system wide drag-and-drop is a complex thing (requires implementing COM interfaces etc.),
so I can't promise it will appear at once.

Yes, i understand. That's the drawback of writing an entire framework on your own. :)

Thomas
Mark S.
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Mark S. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Mark,
but CN already supports the file:/// protocol.
Try entering this:
file:///C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\windows\img0.jpg

Thanks!

I had tried it with the more familiar double slash.

Dragging and dropping would be great, but I already have utilities that can create the paths.

What would I would like is to be able to have the images appear as images in the HTML export, so you can effectively compile entire magazine articles, for instance.

Thanks again!
Mark
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Yes, i understand. That's the drawback of writing an entire framework on your own. :)

So true :) But full control has its costs)


Mark wrote:What would I would like is to be able to have the images appear as images in the HTML export, so you can effectively compile entire magazine articles, for instance.

Well we'll definitely take this into account when implementing image attachments.
However there will be no possibility to specify where in the text the image should come. It will just be beside the note.
Alex
willgk
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby willgk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 pm

I love this idea and would go one further to ask if the Image Could actually be shown in the note. I know this is odd but i'm actually using CintaNotes as a full fledged Wiki. It's tagging system makes for an absolutely perfect Tree View. No other Wiki's support this in a Stand Alone format, at least not in an easily buildable way. I've used all of them I imagine too :P The ability to Insert Images and maybe even have tables would be phenomenal even.
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

willgk wrote:(...) maybe even have tables would be phenomenal even.

This might fit the bill: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/146797-capability-to-insert-and-copypaste-simple-tables-andor-columnize-text-in-a-tabular-format/

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 am

willgk wrote:I love this idea and would go one further to ask if the Image Could actually be shown in the note. I know this is odd but i'm actually using CintaNotes as a full fledged Wiki. It's tagging system makes for an absolutely perfect Tree View. No other Wiki's support this in a Stand Alone format, at least not in an easily buildable way. I've used all of them I imagine too :P The ability to Insert Images and maybe even have tables would be phenomenal even.


I understand your request and have added it to the roadmap:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/185 ... ide-notes/
Alex
Mark S.
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Links to images (and files) inside text

Postby Mark S. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 pm

willgk wrote:I love this idea and would go one further to ask if the Image Could actually be shown in the note. I know this is odd but i'm actually using CintaNotes as a full fledged Wiki. It's tagging system makes for an absolutely perfect Tree View. No other Wiki's support this in a Stand Alone format, at least not in an easily buildable way. I've used all of them I imagine too :P The ability to Insert Images and maybe even have tables would be phenomenal even.

I can think of 2 stand-alone (or mostly alone) products that can be used to produce tag trees. PM me you want to compare notes (I've looked at a LOT of different information managers).

Each system has its own unique advantages and shortcomings. CN excels at quickly gathering and organizing information. But its limited by its inability to display images.

Mark

Return to “Feature Requests”