Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Feb 4, 2013 - Version 2.0.3 Beta1

A new beta reporting for duty! :)

Enhancements:
  • Links to notes: show tooltip with target info on mouse hover
  • Improved usability of "select next action" message boxes
  • Editor: Improved block indent/unindent behavior
  • Editor: Ctrl+Alt+S to save note without changing modified date
  • UI for notebook upgrade process and ability to create backup before upgrading
  • Passwords to proxy and Simplenote are now stored in encrypted form
Fixes:
  • Section view state not always proreply saved and restored
  • Note links couldn't be copied and pasted
  • Editor: Backspace working incorrectly in bullet list
  • Editor: Shift+Enter working incorrectly in bullet lists when line is empty
  • Notes list not always updated after deleting a section
  • Possible error on deleting section
  • SimpleNote sync: possible crash while syncing notes containing raw HTML
  • Notes list and tag sidebar not updated after deleting all notes with a certain tag
  • Parent tag not created on open/import old db file
  • "Create New Note" shortcut didn't use the Inbox section
  • Editor: note link commands should be disabled if text formatting is disabled
  • Import: parent tags not created when hierarchic tags are entered into the "Tags to add" field

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_0_3_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_0_3_Beta1.zip

As usual any feedback welcome! Thanks!
Alex
ChrisCN

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.3 Beta 1

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Links to notes: show tooltip with target info on mouse hover
Hmm, can't see a tooltip.
(I open a note in the editor window which contains a link to another note and move the mouse above the link!?)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Links to notes: show tooltip with target info on mouse hover

As Chris already reported i can not see a hint either.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Improved usability of "select next action" message boxes

What's that?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: Improved block indent/unindent behavior

What does the improvement look like?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: Ctrl+Alt+S to save note without changing modified date

Doesn't do anything here!

CintaNotes Developer wrote:UI for notebook upgrade process and ability to create backup before upgrading

I guess we will see the enhancement with the next upgrade required. This time there was no UI visible.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Section view state not always proreply saved and restored

Will observe.....

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Note links couldn't be copied and pasted

It does something now, but it is not reliable to me. Sometimes i can select and copy text containing a link successfully. Sometimes, it still turns out to plain text.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: Backspace working incorrectly in bullet list

Confirm fixed. Thank you. :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: Shift+Enter working incorrectly in bullet lists when line is empty

Confirm fixed. Thank you. :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:"Create New Note" shortcut didn't use the Inbox section

Fine. It does use the Inbox now. However, it also switches to the inbox automatically. I would like to keep my selected Section. I consider the inbox just as a place, to which new notes will be saved. It is similar to Untagged. Just because a note is untagged, does not trigger "Untagged" as a filter, either.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Guys, thanks a lot for jumping in!
Sorry this is my bad :( I hurried to get the beta to you sooner and have put out the wrong branch -
it contained only fixes but no enhancements. (I've been fixing bugs for 7 hours straight and it shows.. sorry!)
Please re-download :)

While I was at it, also fixed the problem with unwanted section activation on new note hotkey.

Improved usability of "select next action" message boxes

What's that?

Dialogs like this:

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What does the improvement look like?

- When a whole line is selected, TAB indents and not replaces selection
- When whitespace (or a single newline char) is selected on the last line, the last line isn't indented (the selection is auto-trimmed to end of the previous line).

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Doesn't do anything here!

Should be fixed with re-download.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I guess we will see the enhancement with the next upgrade required. This time there was no UI visible.

You're right, there was no UI because the file format hasn't changed.
But you can see it if you take an old CN version, create a .db file with it and later try to open in with 2.0.3.

It does something now, but it is not reliable to me. Sometimes i can select and copy text containing a link successfully. Sometimes, it still turns out to plain text.

No way to reproduce?

Fine. It does use the Inbox now. However, it also switches to the inbox automatically. I would like to keep my selected Section. I consider the inbox just as a place, to which new notes will be saved. It is similar to Untagged. Just because a note is untagged, does not trigger "Untagged" as a filter, either.

Agreed and fixed.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:While I was at it, also fixed the problem with unwanted section activation on new note hotkey.

I'm afraid not; see the end of the post.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Dialogs like this:

Looks cool and i tested it. The very first time the dialog pops up, e.g. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. However, therafter the dialog no longer pops up.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:What does the improvement look like?
- When a whole line is selected, TAB indents and not replaces selection
- When whitespace (or a single newline char) is selected on the last line, the last line isn't indented (the selection is auto-trimmed to end of the previous line).

Thank you for clarifying.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Doesn't do anything here!

Should be fixed with re-download.

Thank you very much. Ctrl+Alt+S works like a charm.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Fine. It does use the Inbox now. However, it also switches to the inbox automatically. I would like to keep my selected Section. I consider the inbox just as a place, to which new notes will be saved. It is similar to Untagged. Just because a note is untagged, does not trigger "Untagged" as a filter, either.

Agreed and fixed.

This must be a missunderstanding. The inbox gets still selected. Even worse, now untagged is actually triggered. What i meant is, that any new note should be placed into the inbox without affecting other settings of the main window.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Links to notes: show tooltip with target info on mouse hover

Looks nice :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:It does something now, but it is not reliable to me. Sometimes i can select and copy text containing a link successfully. Sometimes, it still turns out to plain text.
No way to reproduce?

I wanted to attach a sample file, but the upload complains "The extension .xml is not allowed." I'll send it by E-Mail. You will find two very simple notes. One of them has a link to the other. I select the link from the beginning of the line/link to the end of the line/link. I press Ctrl+Ins. I press End and ENTER. Now i paste using Shift+Ins. Instead of a link, plain text gets inserted. Please note, when i copy using Ctrl+V it functions ok. Seems like this is a key related issue.

Thomas
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Links to notes: show tooltip with target info on mouse hover
cool feature
CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Improved usability of "select next action" message boxes
as Thomas noted: the dialog appears only once (the first time)
CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Note links couldn't be copied and pasted
I get an error message after hitting CTRL+C in the note editor: "class err::InvalidStateException Postcondition failed: app::controls::NoteRichEdit::addNoteLinksToRtf rtfPos != string::npos"
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 am

missing feature or bug?

If I select a note from the notes list and copy it (ctrl+c)
formatting (including links to other notes) seems to get lost.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Looks cool and i tested it. The very first time the dialog pops up, e.g. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. However, therafter the dialog no longer pops up.

Hm, actually it shouldn't pop up on simple Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. The notes have to be different - when they are absolutely the same CN assumes you want to create a duplicate.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Thank you for clarifying.
[..] Thank you very much. Ctrl+Alt+S works like a charm.

Great! you're welcome)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:This must be a missunderstanding. The inbox gets still selected. Even worse, now untagged is actually triggered. What i meant is, that any new note should be placed into the inbox without affecting other settings of the main window.

I thought we were talking about the "Create New Note" hotkey (3rd one), but now it seems that you talk about clipping?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Now i paste using Shift+Ins. Instead of a link, plain text gets inserted. Please note, when i copy using Ctrl+V it functions ok. Seems like this is a key related issue.

Yes, you're right. Thanks for catching this. Will be fixed.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Chris,

ChrisCN wrote:as Thomas noted: the dialog appears only once (the first time)

The first time you do what exactly?

ChrisCN wrote:I get an error message after hitting CTRL+C in the note editor: "class err::InvalidStateException Postcondition failed: app::controls::NoteRichEdit::addNoteLinksToRtf rtfPos != string::npos"

Can you reliably reproduce this?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

ChrisCN wrote:missing feature or bug?

For me formatting is lost only if I try to paste it inside of notes editor.. when I paste inside of notes list, the formatting is there.
The first one - it's a bit of both) was there since times immemorial.. but still needs to be fixed, thanks for noticing!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Looks cool and i tested it. The very first time the dialog pops up, e.g. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. However, therafter the dialog no longer pops up.

Hm, actually it shouldn't pop up on simple Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. The notes have to be different - when they are absolutely the same CN assumes you want to create a duplicate.

So the bug is, that the dialog pops up the very first time used with 2.0.3 beta 1. After a restart/reboot the dialog no longer pops up.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:This must be a missunderstanding. The inbox gets still selected. Even worse, now untagged is actually triggered. What i meant is, that any new note should be placed into the inbox without affecting other settings of the main window.

I thought we were talking about the "Create New Note" hotkey (3rd one), but now it seems that you talk about clipping?

Testcase 1: Use "Create New note" to create a new empty note. The new note gets assigned to the inbox. The selected Section remains active, untagged doesn't get touched. This is fine! Maybe i got confused yesterday and mixed this with clipping. Sorry.

Testcase 2: Use "Capture Text" to create a new note and paste text from the clipboad. This testcase shows the bad behaviour. The inbox becomes the active Section and 'Untagged' gets selected. The current state of the main window shouldn't change, for example when i work on a project. Notes created by either of the two system-wide-shortcuts should be saved in the inbox, without side-effect. Later, when i have time, i come back to the inbox and move the new notes to the required section.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm

When i create a new note with the "Create New Note" hotkey, while the inbox is not the active section, the notes list of the inbox does not refresh. When you switch to the inbox later you don't see the fresh note. You need to scroll the list up to see the note. This can be confusing.

Thomas
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Chris,

ChrisCN wrote:as Thomas noted: the dialog appears only once (the first time)

The first time you do what exactly?
CTRL+C and CTRL+V in the notes list

ChrisCN wrote:I get an error message after hitting CTRL+C in the note editor: "class err::InvalidStateException Postcondition failed: app::controls::NoteRichEdit::addNoteLinksToRtf rtfPos != string::npos"

Can you reliably reproduce this?
Yes - even on the second machine.
I open a note containing a link to another note. I select some text containing this link. I hit CTRL+C and the error pops up.

CintaNotes Personal Notes M...000.png
CintaNotes Personal Notes M...000.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
Last edited by ChrisCN on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm

ChrisCN wrote:missing feature or bug?

For me formatting is lost only if I try to paste it inside of notes editor
or if you try to paste it into another application (like outlook)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:So the bug is, that the dialog pops up the very first time used with 2.0.3 beta 1. After a restart/reboot the dialog no longer pops up.

I can't reproduce this :(

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Testcase 2: Use "Capture Text" to create a new note and paste text from the clipboad. This testcase shows the bad behaviour. The inbox becomes the active Section and 'Untagged' gets selected.

You just need to uncheck the "Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Switch to Inbox Section" and "Switch to Untagged View" options.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am

ChrisCN wrote:CTRL+C and CTRL+V in the notes list

Seems to be dependent on the notebook or note state. I can't reproduce.
Are you sure you haven't changed the note in any way after copying it to clipboard and before pasting?

ChrisCN wrote:I open a note containing a link to another note. I select some text containing this link. I hit CTRL+C and the error pops up.

I'm afraid we would need the exact note text exported to XML, could you please send it to me?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:So the bug is, that the dialog pops up the very first time used with 2.0.3 beta 1. After a restart/reboot the dialog no longer pops up.

I can't reproduce this :(
As Chris has already confirmed, a simple Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V did give the message. However, this happened (to me) only once. The very first time i tried to test the new/modified conflict dialog.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Testcase 2: Use "Capture Text" to create a new note and paste text from the clipboad. This testcase shows the bad behaviour. The inbox becomes the active Section and 'Untagged' gets selected.
You just need to uncheck the "Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Switch to Inbox Section" and "Switch to Untagged View" options.

Thanks! That did the job :)

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”