tremendous CPU usage !

CintaCPU

tremendous CPU usage !

Postby CintaCPU » Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Hello !
I think its not neccesary to say how enthusiasm I felt with CintaNotes although I've got already 10 years of using of a tree-like software in heavy-duty but with no tags feature.
So after some doubts I decided to use it replacing hundreds "text databases" of my "old" software. But something strange stopped me so I need your professional answer :
First of all I am very suspicious and against every saving to the cloud. Thats why I immediately rejected EverNote. I only choose absolutely local use software for such tasks with absolutely no internet connection.
Cinta Notes has some features that I thought I can avoid them (backups ..) so
1st :
I made all the following changes to Cinta settings :

autoupdate.checkperiod.min = 0
autoupdate.startafter.min = 0
backup.checkperiod.minutes = 0
backup.daily.enabled = 0
backup.hourly.enabled = 0
backup.weekly.enabled = 0

(having in my mind that the zero value represents as usual the OFF state)
(I prefer my own manual cyclic backup policy in absolutely mine responsibility)

and

2nd :
I create a rule to my firewall to block every connection both direction from CintaNotes to internet.

What I suddenly saw was a tremendous hard disk activity and running the software "Process Monitor" (Procmon.exe) I saw an unbelievable number of disk activity by Cinta Notes although I have create only one test note with the word "test" !!!!!!

I think hundreds of CPU actions are taking place every minute !! What's going on ??? !! I feel is killing my CPU with just one note !!

the following videos display clear how many days left for my CPU to be burnt from extremely high usage ....

http://www.filedropper.com/video2013-05-26193420
http://www.filedropper.com/video2013-05-26193322

(I have Win XP service pack2 system dual core centrino 2 with 4 GBytes RAM )

Thank you in advance!

Code: Select all

Time of Day,"Process Name","PID","Operation","Path","Result","Detail"
07:04:03,8097875,"cintanotes.exe","3004","LockFile","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db","SUCCESS","Exclusive: True, Offset: 1.073.741.824, Length: 1, Fail Immediately: True"
07:04:03,8098781,"cintanotes.exe","3004","LockFile","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db","SUCCESS","Exclusive: False, Offset: 1.073.741.826, Length: 510, Fail Immediately: True"
07:04:03,8099775,"cintanotes.exe","3004","UnlockFileSingle","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db","SUCCESS","Offset: 1.073.741.824, Length: 1"
07:04:03,8102354,"cintanotes.exe","3004","QueryOpen","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db-journal","FAST IO DISALLOWED",""
07:04:03,8103027,"cintanotes.exe","3004","CreateFile","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db-journal",[color=#FF0000]"NAME NOT FOUND"[/color],"Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a,
07:04:03,8103519,"cintanotes.exe","3004","QueryStandardInformationFile","C:\Documents and Settings\cintaUSER\Application Data\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db","SUCCESS","AllocationSize: 49.152, EndOfFile: 40.960, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: F
Last edited by CintaCPU on Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S.

Re: tremendous CPU usage !

Postby Mark S. » Sun May 26, 2013 6:28 pm

I would try some things.

Try restoring your default back-up settings. This is just a hunch, but I think rather than turning the back-up off, CINTA is going through loops using zero ("0") as its timing interval.

If that doesn't work, try turning your firewall back on for CINTA. Cinta does use the internet to get updates, it may be that its in a loop trying to check on the status.

Also, as another test, you might turn off your anti-virus temporarily. Some anti-virus software will try to inspect any file that is created or modified by software that it is unfamiliar with. This inspection takes times, and can lock the file.

Good luck,
Mark
CintaCPU

Postby CintaCPU » Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Thank you Mark,
I just tried changing only the update settings :

autoupdate.checkperiod.min = 99999 (I had set it to : 0)
autoupdate.startafter.min = 99999 (I had set it to : 0)
backup.checkperiod.minutes = 99999 (I had set it to : 0)

and there's an amazing different behaviour ! It has almost stopped activities !!
Although I do nothing yet just have the CintaNotes minimized and contains only one note one word but compared to previous situation its a big change and I'll suppose as a normal database activity (still curious what transactions commit in idle mode ..)

Thanks at the moment :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi CintaCPU,

first, thanks a lot for all the kind words, and most of all, for the great description of the situation!

yes, the reason of the unusually high CPU usage is that when period is set to 0, it doesn't actually
mean OFF, it means: keep checking without any pause!

The proper setting to turn update check off is: app.mainframe.update.autocheck.

The same goes for backup check - so Mark is right, it would be appropriate to set this value high.
Probably it would be better for us to set some minimal acceptable value and not just accept 0 - something for the future version..

Also I don't recommend turning backup off - you won't be able to feel any performance drop, and
sometime it can come in very handy to have a backup. Please don't turn backup completely off!

And Mark, thanks a lot for helping out!
Alex
CintaCPU

Postby CintaCPU » Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks a lot !
I think its very very normal now :D and I'm ready to do the first heavy duty test loading a full Python course on a CintaNotes file although I believe there would be no problem because of SQLite underneath. Actually I have to say that I already used a FireFox plugin the SQLite Manager 0.8.0 which gives me direct access to CintaNotes database in order for example to erase some silly things I made during this initial period like :
I change my mind and suddenly I don't want a tag so I delete it but it is still in the database and still it appears when its first letter pressed for placing a tag :twisted:
So I clean it manually :D
Anyway the main questions are :
where actually were you the last 15 years ?!
Why CintaNotes is not in duty more than 10 years with a respectively great effect on productivity ?!
and the worst one question :
why just you thought a so simple and useful idea when millions of programmers go around to the software industry ?!

I really can't understand and I feel terrible thinking the case of another programmer which after 20 years will bring another simple great software idea solving 40 years rainlessness and make us sad for the time wasted ....
What I finally want to say is that the global creativity is going down and some rare cases like yours actually their's product price should be astronomical ...

keep walking !!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 am

CintaCPU,
really glad it's working for you now! :)
Thanks a lot for your praise, you're really too kind :)) We'll try to keep up to the
mark :)
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 pm

For some reason, the latest version 2.5 chews up 50% cpu and i can't exit program unless i stop the process.

Have disabled check for updates as well as settings here mentioned above, nada.

Will be away for a few weeks but will follow up when i get back.

Windows 7 32bit is up to date.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Daniel,
thanks for the report!
Do you have Simplenote sync configured?
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Alex,

I'm still on the road for a week - i kind of guess, that yes, Simplenote is configured.
Usually just open CN database backed up to Dropbox (after fresh install) which was configured with Simplenote.
Haven't checked config as it always worked well in the past.
Do suppose you are saying that latest CN has some changes in that area?
Will double check when back home.
Did notice that Windows was installing updates as i closed the computer before leaving...
danielson

Postby danielson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm back home!

Yes, SimpleNote is configured and all Windows updates installed and... cpu is still hanging at 50 as well as the program 'cause i can't close it unless i do ctrl+alt+del

Unticking SN doesn't change the cpu usage.

It's odd, CN never did this to me before.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Daniel, could you please set "debug=1" in cintanotes.settings and send me the resulting log file?
Thanks!
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Tried un-install (without deleting app folders) / re-install = same cpu problem.

Have installed portable version and it is doing fine so far.
No cpu usage at all here! ;)

Update: issue was repeated here too - just about 5 minutes to notice instead of less than one for regular app.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 am

Daniel, thanks again for the log file!
I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have a 2-core CPU?
2) Please try the version from here: http://www.cintanotes.com/forum/viewtop ... 798&p=8142
I suspect it could be a manifestation of the same problem.

Thanks!
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Indeed, i think you're onto something!
Ran it for at least 10 min. - no cpu issues and was able to exit without a fuss. ;)

BTW, yes, do have duo-core.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 am

Ok, thanks, please let me know if there are any more issues!
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 pm

CN has been up since yesterday and still doing good.

Thank you so much for your support! :)
gunars

Postby gunars » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

What's the issue with dual-core CPUs? My main desktop is a dual-core, but I haven't been using it much for the last few months.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Great to hear, Daniel! Thanks for your help.

Gunars, I was just checking the idea that actually CN was trying to use 100% CPU, but since it was only one thread, it hit the ceiling of fully loading one core :)
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Guess that would explain why it didn't go over 50% - what about those who have 4 cores?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm

For 4 cores it wouldn't go over 25%, and for 8 cores - over 12.5% ;)
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”