Problem Re-Importing Notes

mlele

Problem Re-Importing Notes

Postby mlele » Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi all,

I recently exported a .db file from Cintanotes to do a fresh install of windows. I re-installed Cintanotes once this had been done, but when I attempt to import it, it says "The file mydatabase.db cannot be imported with sections. Max limit of 3 would be exceeded. Please upgrade".

I have never had the premium version so the .db file obviously cannot contain more than 3 tabs. Any ideas why this is happening? I feel like I'm being forced to upgrade just to recover my notes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Problem Re-Importing Notes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi mlele,

I'm guessing that the problem is that the file you're importing to already has 1 section, so importing another 3
would give 4, which is above the limit.

The simplest solution: there's actually no need to import anything. Just copy the backup db file back
to where it was and open it in CN using the File/Open command.
Alternatively, open the backup db directly in CN and use the 'Save As' command to create a copy in the
working directory.

Hope this helps!
Alex
mlele

Postby mlele » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey,

That worked a treat, thanks very much. I feel a bit silly haha.

Maybes the import function should be aware of this situation. i.e. detecting that a clean or no database has been loaded, so the tab that is made on startup is ignored for import purposes...or maybes it's just me who had this problem.

Other than that, its the cleanest note taking app I've used on the PC. Very handy.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 am

Glad that I could help!

About improving the import function - I'll definitely add it to roadmap if another user shows up with the same problem :)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed May 15, 2013 8:15 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:About improving the import function - I'll definitely add it to roadmap if another user shows up with the same problem :)

Here i am. ;) The requirement to have an empty section for a fresh created database belongs to the software. I understand that. However, it was not me - the user - who created the section. I also had the problem, that when importing my data into a clean new database, i wanted the "system-created" section to be removed, because it was not me, who created it. It is just disturbing in such a case and i deleted it after import, since you can not delete it before the import, due to technical limitations.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Here i am. ;) The requirement to have an empty section for a fresh created database belongs to the software. I understand that. However, it was not me - the user - who created the section. I also had the problem, that when importing my data into a clean new database, i wanted the "system-created" section to be removed, because it was not me, who created it. It is just disturbing in such a case and i deleted it after import, since you can not delete it before the import, due to technical limitations.

OK so we are adding this to the roadmap)
However I'm still not completely sure how to phrase it and what the correct behavior should be. Check that the default section is empty? Allow to replace default section on import?
And also there's an easy workaround: rename the default section to match the name of one of the imported sections. Maybe that would fit the bill?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:However I'm still not completely sure how to phrase it and what the correct behavior should be.

How about adding an option to the import dialog?

For example: [X] Replace default section, when default section is empty

The option should be checked as default action.

Actually nothing will be replaced, but the default section will be deleted. I am trying to avoid the term "delete", which could make users unsure, about what to do best.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:How about adding an option to the import dialog?

For example: [X] Replace default section, when default section is empty

The option should be checked as default action.

Actually nothing will be replaced, but the default section will be deleted. I am trying to avoid the term "delete", which could make users unsure, about what to do best.

Sorry I'm late again..
This is a good solution, but I think it can be solved without introducing additional options.
The "section count exceeded" message dialog should provide an option to choose sections to be removed
to satisfy the section number limit. What do you think?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:How about adding an option to the import dialog? For example: [X] Replace default section, when default section is empty
The option should be checked as default action. Actually nothing will be replaced, but the default section will be deleted. I am trying to avoid the term "delete", which could make users unsure, about what to do best.

Sorry I'm late again..
This is a good solution, but I think it can be solved without introducing additional options.
The "section count exceeded" message dialog should provide an option to choose sections to be removed
to satisfy the section number limit. What do you think?

In the end you're moving the option to a subsequent step. Imo it would be best to do it automatically. Check, whether the default section is empty. If it is empty, remove it silently before import. Since i am importing to a fresh database, it implies a "restore" of data.

If the default section is not empty and the "section count exceeded" message pops up, it should be ok to choose a section to be replaced (not removed). One minor issue left: Either add a hint, that existing notes will be lost or add a hint, that imported notes will be mixed with notes from the replaced section.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:In the end you're moving the option to a subsequent step. Imo it would be best to do it automatically. Check, whether the default section is empty. If it is empty, remove it silently before import. Since i am importing to a fresh database, it implies a "restore" of data.

If the default section is not empty and the "section count exceeded" message pops up, it should be ok to choose a section to be replaced (not removed). One minor issue left: Either add a hint, that existing notes will be lost or add a hint, that imported notes will be mixed with notes from the replaced section.

A bit too much work, but logically you're right.
After all, this case was solved just by the "don't import, just open it" advice - I wonder if we're overthinking it..)

I think this can be put on ice at least till this problem pops up a second time.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”