DatabaseException error

pablomentabo

DatabaseException error

Postby pablomentabo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm not sure what happened but I'm using CintaNotes 2.4 and am getting the attached error. It shows up when I search for notes with special characters or when attempting to either delete a note fully or to the recycling bin. Please let me know if there is any other info needed to help resolve this issue.

Thanks
Attachments
error.png
error.png (15.33 KiB) Viewed 13110 times
Thomas Lohrum

Re: DatabaseException error

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi,

please check here http://www.cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156#p7331 for instructions on how to recover your data.

Thomas
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks Thomas but I didn't loose my data. All my notes are still there, I only have this error when searching using special characters or when attempting to delete a new note that I create. I did create a new tag in my db and it lets me search without error but when attempting to search all my notes or other tags with special characters I get the error. I'm more looking for a way to stop the error than to recover data (since I do not show it as being lost)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 pm

You will no longer be able to use your database error-free. You need to rebuild. Happily none of your data got lost. To recover your data is the way to get rid of the database error.

Thomas
Arseniy (CN Support)

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 am

Hello pablomentabo!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You will no longer be able to use your database error-free. You need to rebuild. Happily none of your data got lost. To recover your data is the way to get rid of the database error.

Yes, Thomas is absolutely right. You need to rebuild your DB and follow the instructions in his compiled list - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&start=20#p7331

Also in order to avoid DB corruption in future, you can do the following:

open cintanotes.settings and change the lines
sqlite.pragma.journal_mode = MEMORY
to
sqlite.pragma.journal_mode = DELETE

and
sqlite.pragma.synchronous = OFF
to
sqlite.pragma.synchronous = NORMAL

People who need maximum reliability might also consider
sqlite.pragma.synchronous = FULL
(but it will make CN IO operations slower)

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Arseniy Slavschik
CintaNotes Support Team
-----------------------------------------------------------------
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Still having this issue after attempting what Thomas said:

It never finishes exporting or importing and if I try via sqlite3 it has an error stating 'Error: near "cintanotes": syntax error' when trying the .read command

Any ideas?
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Ok, sorry for any confusion. I was able to export all but one tag as an xml and import the rest. I still have the old db file that has that old malformed tag. I don't know how to get it to export or use sqlite3 to do it. Can anyone help there so I don't loose that tag? It's one of my biggest tags with most of my notes
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Pablo,

really sorry for this issue. This is a long-time problem which we are struggling with.
Changing your settings file should protect you from any further corruptions, however
with the already corrupted file we need to deal separately.

The easiest way would be for you to send the corrupted DB to support@cintanotes.com
And although I assure you that it will be handled with the utmost care and security,
I perfectly understand that this might not be an option.

If not, please tell if you are able to export any individual note from this 'corrupted' tag.
Thanks!
Alex
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks but since I have work related notes in that corrupted tag I can't send the DB. I wish I could, to have someone look at, it but like you said, it's not an option. I am able to export individual notes from the tag but since I've been using CintaNotes since 2009 this tag is a bit "bloated" (4663 notes). It would take way too long to export one by one.

It would be nice to be able to get this back, but it's not the end of the world as I still have plenty of notes in other tags to search through when I need to look back to past notes. Thanks for the replies though
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Pablo,

pablomentabo wrote:Ok, sorry for any confusion. I was able to export all but one tag as an xml and import the rest. I still have the old db file that has that old malformed tag. I don't know how to get it to export or use sqlite3 to do it. Can anyone help there so I don't loose that tag? It's one of my biggest tags with most of my notes

did you try to directly import from your old database? This is usually the easiest way to come up with a fresh database.

Thomas
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Hi Pablo,

pablomentabo wrote:Ok, sorry for any confusion. I was able to export all but one tag as an xml and import the rest. I still have the old db file that has that old malformed tag. I don't know how to get it to export or use sqlite3 to do it. Can anyone help there so I don't loose that tag? It's one of my biggest tags with most of my notes

did you try to directly import from your old database? This is usually the easiest way to come up with a fresh database.

Thomas

Yes but it never finishes (I'm assuming when it gets to the corrupted tag it's failing). It just hangs trying to import them
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 am

pablomentabo wrote:Thanks but since I have work related notes in that corrupted tag I can't send the DB. I wish I could, to have someone look at, it but like you said, it's not an option. I am able to export individual notes from the tag but since I've been using CintaNotes since 2009 this tag is a bit "bloated" (4663 notes). It would take way too long to export one by one.

It would be nice to be able to get this back, but it's not the end of the world as I still have plenty of notes in other tags to search through when I need to look back to past notes. Thanks for the replies though

Probably not the whole tag is corrupted though, and I think that you can still rescue the majority of your notes.
I suggest to use the "binary search" approach:
1) Create a copy of your .db file
2) Delete all notes except those having the corrupted tag
3) Select the first half of notes and try to export
4) If export succeeds, delete exported notes and goto 3
5) If export fails, select and try to export the second half of notes, then goto 4

This approach should allow you to rescue the most of your data. It may even be that only one note is in fact corrupted.

Please let me know if it gives anything!
Alex
pablomentabo

Postby pablomentabo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
pablomentabo wrote:Thanks but since I have work related notes in that corrupted tag I can't send the DB. I wish I could, to have someone look at, it but like you said, it's not an option. I am able to export individual notes from the tag but since I've been using CintaNotes since 2009 this tag is a bit "bloated" (4663 notes). It would take way too long to export one by one.

Probably not the whole tag is corrupted though, and I think that you can still rescue the majority of your notes.
I suggest to use the "binary search" approach:
1) Create a copy of your .db file
2) Delete all notes except those having the corrupted tag
3) Select the first half of notes and try to export
4) If export succeeds, delete exported notes and goto 3
5) If export fails, select and try to export the second half of notes, then goto 4

This approach should allow you to rescue the most of your data. It may even be that only one note is in fact corrupted.

Please let me know if it gives anything!

Thanks, got most of my notes back out of that one corrupt tag... still working on a bit in there to see if there was really only one corrupted note. I'd say this thread can be marked complete. Thanks again for the assistance
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 am

pablomentabo wrote:Thanks, got most of my notes back out of that one corrupt tag... still working on a bit in there to see if there was really only one corrupted note. I'd say this thread can be marked complete. Thanks again for the assistance

Glad that I could help, and sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused.
In case something like this comes up again (theoretically it shouldn't if you've changed the settings file like I advised), please do let me know!
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”