[import] issues with "Notebook node not found"

shawnkhall

[import] issues with "Notebook node not found"

Postby shawnkhall » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 am

I'm receiving the "Notebook node not found" error when trying to import a custom XML file.

I just spent a couple hours writing a converter for my Evernote data to switch to CintaNotes. I've been using N++ for all my notes and it was getting way out of hand. The last couple days I gave Evernote a fair shot, but it ended up screwing up a lot of my formatting since it doesn't allow tabs, *everything* is HTML, as well as a few other issues. Meanwhile, I've got hundreds and hundreds of notes in the Evernote format which I'd like to migrate into CintaNotes.

The custom xml file is well-formed XML and functionally equivalent to my sample exports (I even generated uid's), but it won't import.

I *am* able to import an XML export file that I exported from CintaNotes immediately prior, so perhaps this is due to another limitation or an issue with my content?

Is there a limit to the length of a 'note' or title, or the number of notes that can be imported simultaneously, or something to do with a limitation on the number of tags or other similar issues?

Are there any other no-no's as far as what characters can appear where (title, content, tag), peculiarities with entity encoding, or anything else others have experienced when trying to perform a massive import? Any disallowed tag names? Issues with duplicate titles?

Anything else I should know?

I would really love to avoid spending days re-entering all of the data manually if it can be helped.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Arseniy (CN Support)

Re: [import] issues with "Notebook node not found"

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello shawnkhall!

please look the answer here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1671&p=7656#p7656
Keep me informed of the result.

-----------
Best regards,
Arseniy Slavschik, CintaNotes Support Team.
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Thank you, Arseniy, that did the trick! You just saved me days of labor.

Here's the script I wrote to convert my Evernote export file to CintaNotes XML format.

http://12pd.com/s/convert-ec.zip

Enjoy.

Feature request: the file formats aren't that different - perhaps CintaNotes could add direct import capability for Evernote export files?
Arseniy (CN Support)

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 am

shawnkhall wrote:that did the trick

That's great!

shawnkhall wrote:Here's the script I wrote to convert my Evernote export file to CintaNotes XML format.

Thanks! It certainly would be useful.

shawnkhall wrote:Feature request: the file formats aren't that different - perhaps CintaNotes could add direct import capability for Evernote export files?

Well there are currently two requests related to yours less or more:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/111 ... -evernote/ - it is also about import/export to Evernote and CN but it seemed quite unpopular so unfortunately it is declined.
Here is a second one - http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/102 ... te-format/
What do you think about it?

-----------
Best regards,
Arseniy Slavschik, CintaNotes Support Team.
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 am

I personally don't see how sync would be useful. Currently there's a major difference in content types that are possible in CN and EN - while similar, they're really different in almost every useful way. If you're going to create an import profile for Evernote data you may as well provide the ability to export to it as well, but sync would be too difficult since the formats are simply not generally compatible between platforms.
Arseniy (CN Support)

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am

shawnkhall wrote:I personally don't see how sync would be useful. Currently there's a major difference in content types that are possible in CN and EN - while similar, they're really different in almost every useful way. If you're going to create an import profile for Evernote data you may as well provide the ability to export to it as well, but sync would be too difficult since the formats are simply not generally compatible between platforms.

The ability of export to evernote is under review now.
But you're right - export means import. I've added a remark on Roadmap - http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/288683-/

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Arseniy Slavschik
CintaNotes Support Team
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Bug Reports”