Clipping with no Text Selected does not Insert URL

usbpoweredfridge

Clipping with no Text Selected does not Insert URL

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:27 am

If you clip a webpage from your browser with no text selected on that page, the URL field is left empty. If you do have text selected however, the URL field is completed.
gunars

Re: Clipping with no Text Selected does not Insert URL

Postby gunars » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Yes, I have the same problem. Sometimes I'd like to do the clip just to capture the url, but then add my own text as the note.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 pm

I did experience similar issues using Firefox. Therefore i installed "Autocopy" as an add on to Firefox. Simply select some text and add the URL in one step using a contextmenu. No more problems. :)

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 am

Yes, I should have mentioned this was with Firefox. I will look into the AutoCopy add-on in the meantime.

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:40 am

Hi usbpoweredfridge,

this is unfortunately due to the way CintaNotes operates.
CintaNotes sends to the browser "Ctrl+C" keystoke, and the browser places the data into the clipboard.
This data also includes the URL.
When nothing is selected, the browser doesn't have anything to put into the clipboard, hence
there is nowhere to take the URL from.

There are some ways to still get the URL - for example, accessibility interfaces.
However, the development effort here would be substantial, because we'll have to
do it differently for each major browser.
That's why we have placed this feature to the user voting here:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/320 ... ion-empty/

Please vote for this feature if you want us to implement it in future versions of CN.
Thank you!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Actually, I won't be checking out AutoCopy - apparently the old version was taken over by a new publisher at some point in the past and became spyware:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... y/reviews/
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Actually, I won't be checking out AutoCopy - apparently the old version was taken over by a new publisher at some point in the past and became spyware:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... y/reviews/

Thanks for sharing this. From what i read the software was taken over by some strange company. Since then the addon collects URLs and sends them to their servers. For what reason is unknown. I deleted the addon. Instead i installed "AutoCopy 2" which promises to get rid of the bad behaviour. It needs a deep inspection of the addon, but the code is half the size while offering the same functionality. It looks promising. It is one of threads caused by Firefox addons. You install some nice addon and after a while, it might mutate to a dangerous virus :(

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 am

Indeed - I keep my Firefox add-on's to a minimum, but I still worry fairly frequently that something like this will happen (it's happened before that someone has taken over an add-on just to use it to use for malicious purposes, and will happen again).

Return to “Bug Reports”