Automatic Backups not Working

Thomas Lohrum

Re: Automatic Backups not Working

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 am

After reading the posts here, my understanding is, that you are switching between three different databases. Which is fine, of course. However, i think that CN's initiating of a backup relies on the fact, that actually one database is open all the time. I don't think there is a scheduler, which will take care of recently opened databases. If so, this is a source of confusion.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Thomas. Indeed - you are correct. I have three DB's, and I simply open CN and switch between them by using the recent files list in the File menu (this single feature is the reason why I bought a licence for CN). So I don't open CN, do something in one DB, then close CN, re-open it and swap to one of the other DB's. I only open CN the one time, and just use the File menu to switch.

To test the backups of the new beta build 4, I - after replacing the .exe - opened CN, waited 5 or 6 minutes, and then checked the backup folder. When I saw that two backup files had been created (Interesting Links.daily.db and Interesting Links.hourly.db), I then clicked the File menu and swapped to one of the other DB's. I then waited a few more minutes (I think it was less than 5, and I was surprised that it had created the files), and checked the backup folder again - I then saw that two more backups had been added (cintanotes.daily.db and cintanotes.hourly.db). Lastly, I clicked File again, swapped to the last DB, and again, waited 5 minutes before checking the backup folder. CN had then created two more files, Deleted Programs.weekly.db and Deleted Programs.daily.db. While I had the DB open and was waiting, I did nothing inside CN - simply opened the DB, and then Alt+Tab away to another program and then returned to check 5 or more minutes later.

Lastly, after doing all the above, I closed CN. I then opened it again and swapped to the first DB I had open (Interesting Links), and then waited at least another 5 minutes. After that, I checked the backup folder again, expecting that the first backups would have been overwritten (new timestamps on the files) - but all that had happened was that CN had created a new file called Interesting Links.weekly.db (which was the backup it missed the first time around). I then closed CN and since then, have not had it open for 5 minutes at a time (so no new backups have been created).

I'm not sure if there is something in the logic that I am missing or not. :?:
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Perhaps I could clear up the matter a bit.
CintaNotes relies on the backup file's last modification time to tell whether it needs to be refreshed.
So the ".hourly.db" backup is only updated when the current hour is greater than the hour when the backup was made.
Accordingly, the "daily" backup is only updated when the date has changed, and the "weekly" backup only when current week number is greater then the week number of the "weekly" backup file.

The backup scheduler that checks the above and starts the backup process (if necessary) is run periodically, every 5 minutes.

And yes, Thomas is right, only backups of the currently opened and active notebook are done. The point being that this is the only notebook that can get changed. Given your use case of fast switching between the files, I'd consider setting the backup.checkperiod.minutes parameter to a shorter interval, e.g. 2 minutes.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Perhaps I could clear up the matter a bit.(...)

Thanks for clarifying this.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:08 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, sorry, was in a hurry and forgot to protect the exe. Thanks for pointing this out. Here is the correct version: CintaNotes_251_b1_4.zip

Alex,

i installed this preview-beta and tested for the bug introduced with 2.5, which causes strange characters after pressing Alt+End. The behaviour has somewhat changed, but the bug is still present, for example after pasting from the clipboard. Does this preview actually try to solve the issue?

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i installed this preview-beta and tested for the bug introduced with 2.5, which causes strange characters after pressing Alt+End. The behaviour has somewhat changed, but the bug is still present, for example after pasting from the clipboard. Does this preview actually try to solve the issue?

No, Thomas, that bug turned out to be tricky - still working on it.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:No, Thomas, that bug turned out to be tricky - still working on it.

The change to use Ctrl+Home/End for the Remarks-field was the wrong decision, imo. I am missing the ability to use these keys in any edit-control. Alt+Home/End is not comfortable. The advantage of using Ctrl+Home/End in the remarks field, does not match the disadvantages caused by no longer using the keys as a global editor shortcut.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:33 am

Alex: Yes, I agree with Thomas - that explanation about how the backup works clarifies things somewhat.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The change to use Ctrl+Home/End for the Remarks-field was the wrong decision, imo. I am missing the ability to use these keys in any edit-control. Alt+Home/End is not comfortable. The advantage of using Ctrl+Home/End in the remarks field, does not match the disadvantages caused by no longer using the keys as a global editor shortcut.

Could you please point me to the discussion? I just tried using Ctrl+Home/End in the editor, works fine, no special handling to Remarks field. I remember we decided to use Alt+R to focus Remarks, and Alt+Home/End to go to main text begin/end.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:11 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Alex: Yes, I agree with Thomas - that explanation about how the backup works clarifies things somewhat.

Great! Probably we should make the system a bit clearer in this regard ;) Maybe you have some ideas on how to improve it?
Thanks!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:21 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Could you please point me to the discussion? I just tried using Ctrl+Home/End in the editor, works fine, no special handling to Remarks field. I remember we decided to use Alt+R to focus Remarks, and Alt+Home/End to go to main text begin/end.

Hi Alex,

back when we started beta testing of version 2.5 i made a comment about not being able to use Ctrl+Home/End for the Remarks-field. Back then you switched the key so it would no longer function as a global shortcut for the edit-window. I pointed out that this was not my intention. After all the Remarks field will be used less often in multi line mode. Since you did not want to turn back the old behaviour, i was asking to introduce Alt+Home/End as an alternative.

To make a long story short: Please give back the old behaviour of having Ctrl+Home/End to jump to the beginning/end of the notes text, regardless of the edit-control from which the key will be pressed. That key is just intuitive to use!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:To make a long story short: Please give back the old behaviour of having Ctrl+Home/End to jump to the beginning/end of the notes text, regardless of the edit-control from which the key will be pressed. That key is just intuitive to use!

Maybe this makes sense indeed. Does anyone object?
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Sounds good to me.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:To make a long story short: Please give back the old behaviour of having Ctrl+Home/End to jump to the beginning/end of the notes text, regardless of the edit-control from which the key will be pressed. That key is just intuitive to use!
Maybe this makes sense indeed. Does anyone object?

Hi Alex,

since no one rejected, actually gunars agreed, would it be possible to have the change with 2.6? Also note, that i would like to be able to use Ctrl+Home/End in the Remarks-Field!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Thomas,

ok, done in 2.5.2b1 :)
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”