Raise of the license price

Mithrandir

Raise of the license price

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 23, 2014 6:39 am

That's quite huge: Going from 25$ to 39$ is like a raise of nearly 60%. Any explanation on that? If I'm not mistaken, renewal will increase also, right? Like, from 12,50$ to 19,50$ ?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Raise of the license price

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 23, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Mithrandir,

Yes, the renewal price will increase as well. I understand that this is not really heartening news. This was a difficult decision for us as well. But unfortunately this is now absolutely necessary for the survival of the project. Currently we are getting on average $700 per month which is definitely not enough to sustain even a single developer, and we have now two.

You are right that 60% is a large increase, but we believe that it's better to make unpopular things seldom but substantial (they don't cut a dog's tail piece by piece, if you understand what I mean.) The last time we raised the price from $9.99 to $25, which was 250%, and it went well.

On the other hand, I think that $39 is close to the upper limit for this software niche, so it's unlikely that the price will go even higher after that during the next 3-4 years.

We think that raising the price will have the following benefits:

1) Hopefully it will increase our bottom line, allowing us to continue working on CintaNotes full-time. For you this means that you'll be getting more new features, and they will be implemented sooner. Also we'll be able to start developing CintaNotes apps for Android and iOS.

2) It will make our discount programs more attractive, resulting in free promotion and exposure, which will, again, result in increased bottom line and a more dynamic program development;

3) As we'll be getting less sales but at a higher price, it will also reduce our costs connected with priority technical support for paying customers, leaving more time on working on new features and enhancing existing ones.

Of course only time will tell if this was the correct decision, but as of now it seems to us the only reasonable one.

Also due to popular demand we are thinking about introducing Lifetime PRO license, which won't require yearly renewal in order to stay updated to the latest CN version. It will cost $99. However it is still not decided to 100%.
Alex
wukaem

Postby wukaem » Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Mithrandir wrote:That's quite huge: Going from 25$ to 39$ is like a raise of nearly 60%. Any explanation on that? If I'm not mistaken, renewal will increase also, right? Like, from 12,50$ to 19,50$ ?

LOL, where were you, when they changed price from $10 to $25? ;-)
I considered buying license when CN was priced $9.99. I didn't and don't regret it now (I would get used to all features and now had to pay $12 a year ;-)). $25 is too much for me for sure, and $39 is hell too much. Good luck, guys, in earning more money after that move.
Don't get me wrong, CN is great software, but in free version. Features that differentiate free and pro version are not worth even 10 dollars. IMHO.
w.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun May 25, 2014 11:58 am

wukaem wrote:I considered buying license when CN was priced $9.99. I didn't and don't regret it now (I would get used to all features and now had to pay $12 a year ;-)). $25 is too much for me for sure, and $39 is hell too much. Good luck, guys, in earning more money after that move.
Don't get me wrong, CN is great software, but in free version. Features that differentiate free and pro version are not worth even 10 dollars. IMHO.

Thanks for your opinion. Please don't forget that people's needs and demands are very different, especially in productivity software, and the fact that you don't need the PRO features doesn't mean that noone needs them (also I think the fact that you didn't buy even when the license cost was just ten bucks is telling ;)

Also many people buy the license because they want to support the project and they wouldn't like to see it going South, following the way of Google Notebook, Tranglos KeyNote and NotesHolder.

But let's make this conversation more constructive: maybe if you elaborate which features would make you consider obtaining a license (and BTW there are many ways to get it without paying anything, just via helping us with CN promotion), then we can together get what each of us wants. Thank you.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm OK with this.
A great product, and a VERY responsive developer.
Nod
wukaem

Postby wukaem » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:But let's make this conversation more constructive: maybe if you elaborate which features would make you consider obtaining a license

I can't help you with that, because all I need is tagging, fast searching and lets say 'nice look' of interface. ;-) Unfortunately for you, free version has it all.
I have few notebook files, but I don't need access to them at same time, I don't see using for sections, I never had need of tagging something hierarchically, I don't need my notes outside my computers - I synchronize whole databases with dropbox or something similar, not to Simplenote.
In fact, I don't even use all free features like formatting, hotkeys or export to xml/txt. So you see, I'm very simple user - that's why I don't see need of buying program (support it financially), that (for me) has every feature, that whole bunch of free programs have (except appearance).
But that doesn't mean I don't support CN. Maybe there were some Polish users that bought CN also because of fact that it is localized. ;-)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks, Nod!

wukaem wrote:I can't help you with that, because all I need is tagging, fast searching and lets say 'nice look' of interface. Unfortunately for you, free version has it all.
I have few notebook files, but I don't need access to them at same time, I don't see using for sections, I never had need of tagging something hierarchically, I don't need my notes outside my computers - I synchronize whole databases with dropbox or something similar, not to Simplenote.
In fact, I don't even use all free features like formatting, hotkeys or export to xml/txt. So you see, I'm very simple user - that's why I don't see need of buying program (support it financially), that (for me) has every feature, that whole bunch of free programs have (except appearance).
But that doesn't mean I don't support CN. Maybe there were some Polish users that bought CN also because of fact that it is localized.

Yes I remember what you did, and thank you once again for that! I still can't really believe that there's nothing which could make your work with CN easier. Maybe autotagging? :)
Alex
wukaem

Postby wukaem » Mon May 26, 2014 6:38 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I still can't really believe that there's nothing which could make your work with CN easier. Maybe autotagging? :)

No, really. Your program is perfect for my needs. Aren't you happy? :-)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 26, 2014 6:54 pm

wukaem wrote:No, really. Your program is perfect for my needs. Aren't you happy? :-)

Well, actually I am ;) The whole point of my activity is increasing the number of people who don't want anything more added to CN. Then I'll be able to move on to something like CintaTasks and CintaWorkTime or... ;)
Alex
Rich71

Postby Rich71 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Personally, I have no issues with the increase. I paid full price for the program a few months ago and it works as advertised. I would be interested in the Cintanotes Pro lifetime option, if it becomes available.

I have had other paid programs where updates are few and far in between, even when you give the exact procedures to reproduce the problems. What about paid programs that are discontinued or when the company of your paid program is sold to another company and then they discontinue it? I have had paid programs that fall under all these scenarios and it is frustrating.

It appears, Support responds quickly and listens to issues reported and really tries to help. This is my first post and I will not hesitate, if I find an issue or if I need help.

There are other note programs with similar features, some are free and some are even higher, with the higher priced ones having more features. If the free version of Cintanotes works for you, be thankful, they don't just have a 15 or 30 day trial where it's stops working after the trial is over.

My opinion, if a user does and need to easily keep track of web based searching, the Pro is the best way to go.

Later,
Rich71
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed May 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi Rich71,

Thanks for your opinion. Really glad to hear that you don't regret buying a license and supporting us. Thank you!
Alex
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 30, 2014 11:33 am

wukaem wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:That's quite huge: Going from 25$ to 39$ is like a raise of nearly 60%. Any explanation on that? If I'm not mistaken, renewal will increase also, right? Like, from 12,50$ to 19,50$ ?

LOL, where were you, when they changed price from $10 to $25? ;-)

Well, obviously not here. ;)

@Dev: Thanks for pointing it out - couldn't even imagine living from 700 bucks a month if I hadn't to. O.O Would be nice to put aside, but as a fulltime-job? No way. Kudos to you guys. I don't use CN often, nevertheless, I use the Pro version. And keep thinking about that lifetime thingy - might be worth a try. ;)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 am

Mithrandir, thanks a lot for your understanding and support!
Yes we'll probably introduce the Lifetime license alreasy this month. But we decided that it should be priced a bit
higher than I originally announced - $119 instead of $99.
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:17 am

I also don't have a problem with the price increase, although I would go for an even $40 instead of the 'psychological' $39 ;-). Alex certainly deserves this and more not only for a useful product, but also for his gracious responsiveness to questions and frequent updates for both features and fixes. A 60% increase may sound steep, but a $14 increase does not seem like much, but that of course is up to each individual. The $120 lifetime license is also something I would consider, depending on the future plans for CN.

The whole point of my activity is increasing the number of people who don't want anything more added to CN.

I, for one, am quite happy with the current feature set and am actually more afraid of features being added which might change the simple and quick utility of CN. For the most part, I can do most things I need with the free version - I bought the Pro version primarily to support Alex and his endeavors. For those of you who use the free version, I would urge you to be thankful that Alex has made 80% of the functionality of CN available to you for free, while still giving support and listening to suggestions.

Gunars
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Gunars,
Really glad to see you here again! :)

Thanks for all the kind words. Yesterday together with the release I changed the price - we'll see if it was the right move.
I certainly hope that it'll enable me to continue working on CN full-time (and maybe even start working on an Android app).

I didn't set the price at $39 to trick people that it is much less that $40 (although it might have some effect). I think that people now are so used to prices ending in 9, that any other number seems weird - just a number, not a price. Don't you agree?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:35 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I didn't set the price at $39 to trick people that it is much less that $40 (although it might have some effect). I think that people now are so used to prices ending in 9, that any other number seems weird - just a number, not a price. Don't you agree?

I do.

Thomas
awm

Postby awm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 pm

I like the product and response times of the developer a lot!
That's why I choose to buy a license for a whole new year.

The simplicity and tagging are its strengths and keeps me from using OneNote.
But there is a pay off point when the price of a 'simpler' product is simply to high.
Then a free (!) product with much more features like OneNote will become attractive.
Also because more and more my collegueas are using OneNote.

For now I'm using Cintanotes with much much pleasure and will keep on using it for now.
I'm looking forward for the image (like printscreens) in notes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi awm,

thanks for all the kind words.

Yes we understand that competing with free notetaking tools like OneNote is going to be diffucult.
However we believe that CN can have a unique feature set that will make it stand out on the market.
I'm talking about helping in organizing notes and tags: autotagging, tag suggestions and such.

Adding pictures is not a unique feature, of course, but nowadays it seems to be required by most users, so
we are already working on it as part of the "file attachments" feature.

Once again, thanks for your support!
Alex
BarGraz

Postby BarGraz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Alex,
another supporter...
I also appreciate the unique capabilities of this program, and get a very large return on the investment of the yearly subscription for increased productivity, and the portability of the application.

BarryH
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks a lot, Barry!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”