Feature Requests

davidtjmarsh

Feature Requests

Postby davidtjmarsh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm

1. Simple formatting would be good. Even just bold text would be enough.

2. Sorting the Notes with the most recent Note at the top would be useful.

3. Displaying the last modified date on a Note would be very helpful. WHen I created it is less important then when I made my last update. Maybe having a hidden section in the popup Note window that could display information about the note. Created date, last modified date, number of charaters or size of note in KB.

4. If it isn't too hard maybe copying images from clipboard into Notes. Not sure if this starts to go beyond simple text based Notes and starts to take this application into bloatware.

5. An option to fully expand a Note in the main window would be good. Even in-line editing would help as well.

Keep up the great work.
DaComboMan

Re: Feature Requests

Postby DaComboMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Just discovered this gem yesterday.

Wish list for a few more options...

Please add "start up with Windows" and "keep minimized on close or minimize click".

Thanks a bunch! ;)
StarryLu

Postby StarryLu » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm

I have been searching for YEARS for a note program that saves selected texts straight to a TXT file per one click or hotkey, via a dialogue box that has 5-10 by you pre-selected directories that you can save the notes to!

Yours is a nice program, but I cannot save the collected text snippets to different files, only to one big collected file.

I would really like a feature in this program, where such a method as I have searched for soooo long, can be enabled!

Is it possible? Sofar I have tried to save the snippets separately, but they only save all together and no directory choice.

Please design an extra hot key to save straight from the selection to a separate TXT file! Thanks.

It would be so nice as another added feature to that if Cinta could remember where your separate snippets are saved to, and can be found through Cinta by the file name. C:/texts/1.txt and D:/Income/Salary.txt, F:/Programs/Cinta.txt, etc.

Thank you for making it available.
God bless you
http://www.powerpointparadise.com/
osugodfan

Postby osugodfan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm

RE simple formatting:

I'd recommend using textile, if possible. I've grown to love it over the last few years. Very easy to learn and use.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:31 am

davidtjmarsh wrote:1. Simple formatting would be good. Even just bold text would be enough.
Yes, this is in plans.
davidtjmarsh wrote:2. Sorting the Notes with the most recent Note at the top would be useful.
Is already on the roadmap too.

davidtjmarsh wrote:3. Displaying the last modified date on a Note would be very helpful. WHen I created it is less important then when I made my last update. Maybe having a hidden section in the popup Note window that could display information about the note. Created date, last modified date, number of charaters or size of note in KB.
This is a very nice idea, I like it a lot. I'll put it on the roadmap!

davidtjmarsh wrote:4. If it isn't too hard maybe copying images from clipboard into Notes. Not sure if this starts to go beyond simple text based Notes and starts to take this application into bloatware.
This is definitely needed by most users. I'll think how to implement this elegantly without complicating things up.
I'm thinking of adding "attachments" to notes where you can put (and paste) any files, including images. Then it will be another task to make a preview for images.

davidtjmarsh wrote:5. An option to fully expand a Note in the main window would be good. Even in-line editing would help as well.

Is already a registered request)

Thanks for your suggestions!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:34 am

DaComboMan wrote:Please add "start up with Windows"
Yes, it is on the roadmap already)

DaComboMan wrote:"keep minimized on close or minimize click".
Didn't quite get: what's the difference with already existing "Options/Minimize to System Tray" option?
Alex
DaComboMan

Postby DaComboMan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:23 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:Please add "start up with Windows"
Yes, it is on the roadmap already)

DaComboMan wrote:"keep minimized on close or minimize click".
Didn't quite get: what's the difference with already existing "Options/Minimize to System Tray" option?

Good news! Thanks!

Just an extra. Some programs give you the option to have minimize no matter what button you click on.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:26 pm

StarryLu wrote:Yours is a nice program, but I cannot save the collected text snippets to different files, only to one big collected file.

I would really like a feature in this program, where such a method as I have searched for soooo long, can be enabled!

Is it possible? Sofar I have tried to save the snippets separately, but they only save all together and no directory choice.

Please design an extra hot key to save straight from the selection to a separate TXT file! Thanks.

:oops: Although not straightaway what StarryLu ordered, the tiny & portable Mempad would permit everything asked, with a little export magic... (please read 'export' entry in Mempad help; see more opinions at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=889)

I feel terrible for hijacking CintaNotes forum with references to other apps, but hey, to each his/her own, right? :roll:

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 pm

I discovered this program y'day...

I use a couple of other programs for note filing, but this is excellent for clipping and collecting jottings on webpages such as the online course I run, as well as swapping bits of text between pages of the e-books as I write them without any fears of cutting something from one page and forgetting to paste it again - it'll be there in the file. I love the minimalism - no icon bar taking up space It's also portable which is excellent!

A couple of things I'd like to suggest:

I would like to make the program window smaller, to tuck away in one corner of the screen. At the moment it seems to resize to about 400 pixels width and I can't go any smaller - it takes up 1/3 of the width of the screen. If I want to resize it larger, then I can easily do that, but I can't see why it needs to stick at this width.

Whilst I can copy a complete note by selecting it and using Control V, by default it contains the title and the date. I can't just copy the text from the note, or select a part of the text by dragging, without double clicking on the note and opening the note edit window.

When the note edit window does open, it's partly off my screen - I've got the CintaNotes main window pushed into the top right corner of the screen, and the edit note window seems to open centred on the main window, which means the . Window positions dont seem to be saved so it just keeps opening up where I can't drag it back on screen!

Otherwise, great little program!
Midas

Postby Midas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 am

Guest wrote:[...]
I would like to make the program window smaller, to tuck away in one corner of the screen. At the moment it seems to resize to about 400 pixels width and I can't go any smaller - it takes up 1/3 of the width of the screen. If I want to resize it larger, then I can easily do that, but I can't see why it needs to stick at this width.
[...]

This Guest's issue just suggested to me something like a "dropbox", a tiny always on top window where one could drag'n'drop selected content. It maybe workable, I wouldn't know, it's just another idea for CN 'developeer'... :roll:
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:03 am

DaComboMan wrote:Just an extra. Some programs give you the option to have minimize no matter what button you click on.

But the Options/Close to System Tray command does exactly that, doesn't it?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 am

Hello Guest,
thanks for trying out the program!

Guest wrote:I would like to make the program window smaller, to tuck away in one corner of the screen. At the moment it seems to resize to about 400 pixels width and I can't go any smaller - it takes up 1/3 of the width of the screen. If I want to resize it larger, then I can easily do that, but I can't see why it needs to stick at this width.
Ok, got it, I will see what I can do to allow smaller widths)
Guest wrote:Whilst I can copy a complete note by selecting it and using Control V, by default it contains the title and the date. I can't just copy the text from the note, or select a part of the text by dragging, without double clicking on the note and opening the note edit window.
Selecting text right in the list was already suggested. I think that I also will make it configurable what gets copied to the clipboard when you press Ctrl+C.
Guest wrote:When the note edit window does open, it's partly off my screen - I've got the CintaNotes main window pushed into the top right corner of the screen, and the edit note window seems to open centred on the main window, which means the . Window positions dont seem to be saved so it just keeps opening up where I can't drag it back on screen!
This is already history with the new BetaM6 version)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 am

Midas wrote:This Guest's issue just suggested to me something like a "dropbox", a tiny always on top window where one could drag'n'drop selected content. It maybe workable, I wouldn't know, it's just another idea for CN 'developeer'... :roll:
Yes, something like this makes sense. But I think Guest wanted to see the notes while working in other apps..
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:19 am

StarryLu wrote:Yours is a nice program, but I cannot save the collected text snippets to different files, only to one big collected file.
Well, what I can definitely promise is to have finer control on which notes are exported and a hotkey to export current selection. Regarding your request, it does seem to me a bit specific for a general-purpose notetaking utility, but after I implement tabbed sections and make export more configurable, I'll make CintaNotes remember the export configuration for each section, and also to have the possibility to append notes to already existing txt or xml files. Hope this will help.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:22 am

Guest wrote:I feel terrible for hijacking CintaNotes forum with references to other apps, but hey, to each his/her own, right? :roll:
It's absolutely no problem! :D
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:

Well, what I can definitely promise is to have finer control on which notes are exported and a hotkey to export current selection. Regarding your request, it does seem to me a bit specific for a general-purpose notetaking utility, but after I implement tabbed sections and make export more configurable, I'll make CintaNotes remember the export configuration for each section, and also to have the possibility to append notes to already existing txt or xml files. Hope this will help.

I guess what StarryLu was referring to was the possibility of having CN work as a kind of frontend to a bunch of text files -- each one corresponding to a particular snippet -- stored in a particular CN managed folder -- somewhat alike to what wikidPad's traditional gadfly method does, expunged of the wikifying syntax.

Implementation is dependent on what your current take is on the choice of database backend (I gather you're considering SQLite), but it really isn't a bad idea, as it would make CN somekind of (textual) data harvesting frontend, allowing most of the storage issues to be offloaded to the filesystem, and leaving only data access functions to the program; for the end user, it would mean that all data harvested remained in human readable form, availalble for direct manipulation. :geek:

I must confess that I find the concept of data independance from software tools very powerful and one of the best ways to ensure program longevity.

On a different note, I want to remember my previous suggestion that tags could share their space in note headers with the (explicit) display of URLs, as sometimes this is the best way of identifying content.

Finally, and as you might have guessed, the hijacking culprit was moi, after I forgot to fill the (unlogged) user field...

Cheerie Yo! :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
StarryLu

Postby StarryLu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Thank you gentlemen! Starrylu here. :P
What I really want is a 2 or 3 click solution for turning Web selections or web articles into text files with the same name as the first line of the selected text, which is mostly the name of the article, and then a choice in what folder to put the new selection.txt file into.

What I do sooooo many times a day now, is, 10 actions:

1. Select the article or portion of it
2 Copy + C
3 Find my Editpad program icon in the Windows quick launch bottom bar
4. Click on it
5 Ctrl + V paste it into Editpad
6. Select the top line of the article
7. Ctrl + C to copy it
8. Ctrl + S (opens the save dialogue)
9 Ctrl + V paste the title in the save line (automatic txt extension)
10 Find the right directory for the file
11 <Enter> after I located that. Pff! Finished :roll:

I do this 10 times a day, to save alternative news articles. Very time consuming!!!
So far I have never found a 1-2-3 click smart little program where after you have selected a desired text you only have to...

1. Right click on a selected text & be able to choose this (long desired) program to open
2. After it opens it gives you a selection of 5-10-15 directories to choose from, the most used ones top the list of course, etc.
3. Click on that folder! FINISHED! Your selection is saved in that directory as a .txt file. Easy peasy!

4. Added luxury would be, if that program even could remember these files & which directories they are to be found! But even if that's not included, it would be a godsend!!!! Not just for me, but for thousands of people who do this also like me.
I have searched & searched, but I guess most "text wizard" programmers never have to do this 10 times a day.

But anyway thanks for your Cinta program & your answers, time and suggestions. Please visit our http://www.powerpointparadise.com site. You may like to download some inspiring pps shows to help you through these trying times of depression and war, and ultimate total economic crash! :o Prepare with some extra food in your homes for one or two months. :? And pray! May God bless & keep us all! :) Cheer up it cold be worse!
Starrylu
StarryLu

Re: Feature Requests I FORGOT SOMETHING

Postby StarryLu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:49 pm

And it would have to be right clickable in FIREFOX (or other web browser?)
Therefore you could make it a very handy add-on in Firefox which would give you publicity for your extension and your Cinta program as well, through the ADD ON page. Not bad no?
Something to think about
Greetings!
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm

One feature I would be interested in would be a set of a few "favorite" notes that could be immediately edited via hotkey. For example a todo list. It would be nice to hit Win + 1 for example to open my to do list in the edit mode to add a new item as opposed to going to CintaNotes, searching for the list then editing. Win + 1 through 9 could be mapped to different notes. Additionally, if text were selected in another application Win + 1 could automatically add it to the bottom of my specified note.
-Todd
ale

Postby ale » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello, first of all I would like to say thank you, CintaNotes is already a nice and useful application at this point of development. I liked particularly: Unicode support, being portable and self contained, being small, fast and responsive. I like this more than the presence of too many features

Not really feature requests, but I'll share my personal ideas anyway:

About formatting, I think CintaNotes should stay basically a plain text notes editor as opposed to a very rich text formatting, so I would like to see an easy and fast way to use just two fonts, a monospaced font and a proportional font. To make an example, in forums like this phpBB, text is always proportional and we don't choose a font family but we have the chance to format a block of text with a monospaced font if needed (a code snippet comes to my mind as an example)

Another feature I always like to have in text editors is a button to show hidden characters which basically means a way to see spaces, new lines and tab characters (a nice touch if you will ever implement this is see those hidden characters with a lighter colour respect to surrounding text, I mean for example black for text and a lighter shade of gray for those hidden characters)

I read a bit about the modified date suggestions... I think of a note like a piece of text which has some attributes, creation date is one of these and also modifed date may be one of these and so on. I would like never lose these attributes which I consider an integral part of the note. To make an example of why I consider them important, let's think to sorting, we can make an alphabetical sorting but I would like to always be able to return to the previous situation where there's not really sorting but notes are in the order we inserted them so creation date would be used to do so. Generally I like every command not being destructive regarding what it does so we can always go back to the previous state

Finally about tags would be nice to have a way to fast apply a tag (maybe a special kind of tag?) like a mean to temporary mark a note or some notes, a kind of checkmark. Ideally we would apply and remove this mark with a single click of the mouse (or with a hotkey for those who use the keyboard more than the mouse)

Thanks again, and thanks for the time of reading this post

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”