Ctrl+Delete interferes with text editing standards

Aelius

Ctrl+Delete interferes with text editing standards

Postby Aelius » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 am

Hey, I was writing a note just now in CintaNotes and I needed to delete a word which was to the right of the cursor. Since Ctrl+Delete is the standard text editing shortcut to delete the word to the right of the cursor, I pressed Ctrl+Delete, but I was puzzled at why it popped up a message box asking me confirmation to delete the note I was editing.

Confused, I went to CintaNotes' Help and scrolls down to the Note Editor - While Editing Note Text subsection of the Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts section to see if CintaNotes has a conflicting shortcut for Ctrl+Delete. Indeed it does, but strangely it says that Ctrl+Delete is the shortcut to "Clear currently selected text of any formatting." At this point I was very confused, because clearing text of formatting has nothing to do with the delete confirmation message I got when I Ctrl+Deleted. So I Googled "CintaNotes Ctrl Del" and found that CintaNotes version 1.6.1 in April 2012 changed the Ctrl+Delete shortcut to delete the current note within the note editor.

So, long story short, CintaNotes' hardcoded Ctrl+Delete shortcut interferes with a standard expected text editing shortcut. This has made me wonder if using Ctrl+Del (and Ctrl+Backspace and Ctrl+Left & Ctrl+Right) are very underused shortcuts :( I know I only found out about it by accident a few years ago, myself :P but it saves a lot of time instead of having to button mash Del or Backspace to fix text! Anyway, I figured I ought to mention this :) It's not a huge deal, especially since there's a confirmation message (and thank goodness, because it was a long note I was writing at the time!)

Cheers.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+Delete interferes with text editing standards

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:34 am

Hi Aelius,
Thanks for your message!

First of, there's indeed an error in the Help. Instead of "Ctrl+Del" it should be "Ctrl+D",
and an entry for "Ctrl+Del" should be added to the "Note Editor" section.
I'll fix it asap, thanks for pointing this out!

Regarding Ctrl+Del being the "standard" shortcut - it's probably a convenient
shortcut, but by no means standard. For example, in Notepad it deletes
not the next word, but the whole rest of the line.

If you have a suggestion how to change the current shortcut of Ctrl+Del to
incorporate the "delete next word" shortcut, we'll be able to register this
as a suggestion on the roadmap. If it gets 10+ votes it will be implemented.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:43 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:If you have a suggestion how to change the current shortcut of Ctrl+Del to incorporate the "delete next word" shortcut, we'll be able to register this as a suggestion on the roadmap. If it gets 10+ votes it will be implemented.

It's already on the roadmap http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/145767-ctrldel-should-delete-the-word-right-to-the-cursor/

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 am

Thanks for the link, Thomas, I missed it somehow. Ok so now we need just 7 more votes ;)

And I've fixed the documentation.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”