Global Search

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
usbpoweredfridge

Global Search

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:25 am

It would be really nice - in a notebook with two or more sections - that a search will show you all the matches for a tag, regardless of what section you are currently in. So you have two sections, section1 and section2, and you are in section2. You type a tag into the search field, and that tag is only used in section1. At the moment, CN will allow you to find the tag in the search field, but will not show you any matches for it. This means you have to cancel the search, click back on section1, and then type the search in again. As my main notebook has two sections - a reminder/to-do section and a non-reminder section - this is something I have to do a lot. I like CN to open on the reminder section (so when I finish viewing a note in the non-reminder section, I click back on the reminder section to make it the active one), but most of my notes are in the non-reminder section (so I constantly have to click between the different sections, which becomes very tiresome after a while).

usb
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Global Search

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 am

Simply press Ctrl+Shift+Space or Right-Click on a Tab to select global search.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:52 pm

The ctrl+shift+space key combo does work (I should have mentioned that I did already know about it, sorry about that). The trouble is - you have to hit that key combo and then do your search - double the key strokes. Essentially I would like to see an option to just do the search, and the results would include the searched text regardless of what section the match is in (an option to always assume ctrl+shift+space when you do a search would probably work).

usb
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:56 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:This means you have to cancel the search, click back on section1, and then type the search in again.

Actually there's no need to reset the search. You can press Ctrl+Shift+1 (or Ctrl+Click on section1 tab) to add section1 to the current selection, and notes tagged with the tag will appear.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Actually there's no need to reset the search. You can press Ctrl+Shift+1 (or Ctrl+Click on section1 tab) to add section1 to the current selection, and notes tagged with the tag will appear.

Ooh, nice. Yes, that does work and is a handy tip to know :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Ooh, nice. Yes, that does work and is a handy tip to know :)

Welcome! ;) By the way, in the later versions of CN (since 2.6.1 if I'm not mistaken) the search string is shared between sections,
so you can simply switch to section1 and the search string will remain. But this doesn't apply to the tags selection of the tag sidebar.
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”