Minor Help Typo

usbpoweredfridge

Minor Help Typo

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 am

Be sure to check with Notebook you are working with, the notebook name is provided in the Title bar of the CintaNotes window (but only is the notebook file name differs from the default name "cintanotes.db"). It is also important to note that when you add a new notebook, the numbering of the notebooks can change.

That should be "but only if the notebook" (not 'is').

Chris
gunars

Re: Minor Help Typo

Postby gunars » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Also "check with Notebook" --> "check which Notebook".
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:30 am

Ooh, good catch - I completely missed that one!

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 am

Great catch, thank you guys!
Already fixed on site, and will include the fixed version of help with the 2.8 final release.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

I hope to complete a full read through of the help document at some stage - I think my spelling and grammar skills are enough to pick up most errors, and it is some place I can at least make a (small) contribution to CN. I have found a couple of other typos in the meantime (I have started to read through the document but am only up to the 'installing/licensing' section):

You can also request a 10 day trial key to try out the PRO features without buying the license, Click on the "Trial" button and you will be redirected to our website for completing a simple request form. Shortly after submitting this form you will receive the trial key delivered to your email.

The comma after the word 'license' should be a full stop, as you have capitalised the next word ('Click'), and that word is not a proper noun.

After your order is processed, you will receive your registration key by email (usually takes several minutes, but in extremely rare cases case last up to 12 hours). You can enter the registration details into the Help/License window in one of three ways:

I think that second 'case' (the one I have underlined) should be 'can'. Though replacing 'case' with 'can' would then ensure the sentence made more sense, I think a better grammatical way of saying it would be 'but in extremely rare cases can take up to' - so replace the 'last up' by 'take up' as well.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:25 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I hope to complete a full read through of the help document at some stage - I think my spelling and grammar skills are enough to pick up most errors, and it is some place I can at least make a (small) contribution to CN.

Chris,

this is really an awesome offer. Maybe Alex can provide you the text source. This might depend on the format though. If the source can be provided, it would make the job of editing it a lot easier for you.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 am

Chris, huge thanks for your effort!

usbpoweredfridge wrote:The comma after the word 'license' should be a full stop, as you have capitalised the next word ('Click'), and that word is not a proper noun.

Good catch. Fixed.

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I think that second 'case' (the one I have underlined) should be 'can'. Though replacing 'case' with 'can' would then ensure the sentence made more sense, I think a better grammatical way of saying it would be 'but in extremely rare cases can take up to' - so replace the 'last up' by 'take up' as well.

Agreed 100%. Fixed, thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:59 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Maybe Alex can provide you the text source. This might depend on the format though. If the source can be provided, it would make the job of editing it a lot easier for you.

Oddly enough, the source is HTML. So "View source" command in browser does the trick ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:this is really an awesome offer. Maybe Alex can provide you the text source. This might depend on the format though. If the source can be provided, it would make the job of editing it a lot easier for you.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Chris, huge thanks for your effort!

No problem, just glad I can be of help in some way :)

I have been thinking about the best way to post any proposed corrections. I think doing it in one big list at the end of my read through would be too cumbersome. Posting each one as I do the read through would also be too cumbersome I think.

I basically plan to read through a section or two each day (I consider a section to be a single entry in the menu on the left hand side of the help page, so About CintaNotes, System Requirements, Installing, Licensing and Updating etc), so what I was thinking was that at the end of each section, I could post the results from that section. For example:
Installing, Licensing and Updating
1. blah blah blah
2. blah blah blah
3. blah blah blah

I have completed the Installing, Licensing and Updating section and have found two more corrections in addition to the previous ones, and am now on the Taking Notes section. In the spirit of posting each section as I complete it - if everyone is fine with that - here are the last two from Installing, Licensing and Updating. The proposed changes are underlined where I have added or changed a word - not sure how to handle when I have removed one (as there is nothing to underline). Maybe I could just specifically mention it in that case?

You can also check for updates manually with the Help/Check for Updates command. The same window allows to turn off automatic update check in case when you don't want to be notified.

You can also check for updates manually with the Help/Check for Updates command. The same window allows you to turn off the automatic update check in cases when you don't want to be notified.

Even better would be those same changes, the changing of 'cases' back to the singular, and the removal of the word 'when':
You can also check for updates manually with the Help/Check for Updates command. The same window allows you to turn off the automatic update check in case you don't want to be notified.

Unless you've purchased a Lifetime PRO license, your license key will be valid only for CintaNotes versions released during 12 months since the date of purchase.

Unless you've purchased a Lifetime PRO license, your license key will be valid only for CintaNotes versions released during the 12 months since the date of purchase.

Regards,

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:40 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I have been thinking about the best way to post any proposed corrections. I think doing it in one big list at the end of my read through would be too cumbersome. Posting each one as I do the read through would also be too cumbersome I think.

Do it however is most convenient to you, Chris! This is invaluable help anyway!

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I basically plan to read through a section or two each day (I consider a section to be a single entry in the menu on the left hand side of the help page, so About CintaNotes, System Requirements, Installing, Licensing and Updating etc), so what I was thinking was that at the end of each section, I could post the results from that section.

Sounds great!

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I have completed the Installing, Licensing and Updating section and have found two more corrections in addition to the previous ones, and am now on the Taking Notes section. In the spirit of posting each section as I complete it - if everyone is fine with that - here are the last two from Installing, Licensing and Updating. The proposed changes are underlined where I have added or changed a word - not sure how to handle when I have removed one (as there is nothing to underline). Maybe I could just specifically mention it in that case?

That's too much work for you. For me it would be enough if you just posted the 'Is now:' and 'Should be:' sentences as a whole.

You can also check for updates manually ...

Agreed and fixed, thanks!

Unless you've purchased a Lifetime PRO license, your license key will be valid only for CintaNotes versions released during the 12 months since the date of purchase.

Fixed. Huge thanks!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:That's too much work for you. For me it would be enough if you just posted the 'Is now:' and 'Should be:' sentences as a whole.

Ok, cool - I have a way forward now :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:51 am

Great! Looking forward to further fixes )
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:04 am

Ok, here is the "Taking Notes" section (reading through is taking slightly longer than what I had thought it would, but that's fine - I will get there in the end).

In this window you can enter note's title, text, tags, link and also add some additional remarks.

In this window you can enter a note's title, text, tags, link and also add some additional remarks.

It can be entered manually, but most of the time if filled automatically on clipping text from other applications (see next section).

There is nothing grammatically wrong with this part, but "It" should be specifically referred to as "The link" because there is a image file that separates this line from the previous paragraph, where "the link" is referred to - making it non-obvious that "it" is referring to "the link". If the image file was not in the place that it currently is, "It" would be fine.

I do also note that there may be some slight inconsistency in the capitalisation of "link" - in some places the lowercase is used (ie "link") and other places the uppercase is used (ie "Link"). I guess it depends on whether you are referring to a url (so "link" would be correct) or the link field (where "Link" would be correct). Indeed, in the proposed correction, I have used the lowercase - it is not always obvious when you are referring to a generic URL or the Link field, so you could probably use either one here. I haven't worried too much about casing however as I have been reading.

If CintaNotes recognizes contents of the "Link" field to be a valid URL, it displays as a clickable link.

If CintaNotes recognizes the contents of the "Link" field to be a valid URL, it displays it as a clickable link.

There's also a "Browse Link" command in note's context menu, which enables you to browse the note's URL without opening the note editor.

There is also a "Browse Link" command in a note's context menu, which enables you to browse the note's URL without opening the note editor.

In this case, "There's" is a word and is technically correct - but I think the full "There is" sounds much better in this case.

Please note that the height of this field adjusts automatically to the amount of text your enter into it, but you can also adjust it manually via dragging with the mouse the lower edge of the main text area.

Please note that the height of this field adjusts automatically to the amount of text you enter into it, but you can also adjust it manually via dragging the lower edge of the main text area with the mouse.

Just re-arranged the last set of words into a slightly different order.

This is the case where CintaNotes really shines.

This is a case where CintaNotes really shines.

Some fields beside text are also filled automatically - the title of the source application window is taken as note's title, and if you clip text from a web page, the note's Link field automatically receives the URL of the page from the address bar of your browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, Chrome and Safari are supported).

Some fields besides text are also filled automatically - the title of the source application window is taken as note's title, and if you clip text from a web page, the note's Link field automatically receives the URL of the page from the address bar of your browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, Chrome and Safari are supported).

CintaNotes creates a new note with the text from the clipboard. It also tries to determine which application has put the data into the clipboard, and it successful uses the application window title as the note's title.

CintaNotes creates a new note with the text from the clipboard. It also tries to determine which application has put the data into the clipboard, and if successful, it uses the application window title as the note's title.

Deleting notes is also straightforward - select the notes you want to delete, and press the Delete key (or select "Delete" from the "Edit" or note's context menu).

Deleting notes is also straightforward - select the notes you want to delete, and press the Delete key (or select "Delete" from the "Edit" menu or the note's context menu).

Caution: Take care when deleting notes, CintaNotes currently does not provide possibility to undo this operation

Caution: Take care when deleting notes, CintaNotes currently does not provide the possibility to undo this operation

Aside from the change, I think this note is technically incorrect, as CintaNotes now has the recycle bin.

Quite often when you are reading some long text and make notes along the way, you end up with a whole bunch of short notes on the same topic.

Quite often when you are reading some long text and making notes along the way, you end up with a whole bunch of short notes on the same topic.

With this window you can edit the note's timestamps, and see the note text's size in KB.

With this window you can edit the note's timestamps, and see the note's text size in KB.

Onto "Finding Notes" now!

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:44 am

Chris, thanks a lot for the great catches! I've fixed them all on the web site. Please go on ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Ok, Finding Notes complete:

By default, CintaNotes displays all notes which are in the notebook organized in a list.

By default, CintaNotes displays all notes which are in the notebook, organized in a list.

It just does not sound right to my ears without that inserted comma after 'notebook'.

word1 -word2 matches notes that have word1 but not have word2;

word1 -word2 matches notes that have word1 but do not have word2;

If you'd like to limit the search to only some data fields, CintaNotes has a number of search modes which allow you do exactly this.

If you'd like to limit the search to only certain data fields, CintaNotes has a number of search modes which allow you do exactly this.

I think 'particular' would also be an acceptable substitute for 'certain'.

In the "Anywhere" mode, which is the default, CintaNotes includes all fields into the search.

In the "Anywhere" mode, which is the default, CintaNotes includes all fields in the search.

Creation (Modification) Time

Creation / Modification Time

Ok, this one may require an explanation, especially considering the next proposed change. The use of brackets there indicates that 'modification' is just another way of saying 'creation' - in fact, as shown in the screenshot immediately above this section, 'creation' and 'modification' are actually two separate entries. Thus, the / as a replacement for the brackets is more appropriate. That leads directly into the next one, where the entire paragraph after this heading requires the same change in three separate locations.

Search by note's creation (modification) date and time. Keep in mind that the search is still text based, so you can enter "11/" to list all notes created (modified) in November (if your system uses the US time format), but you'll also see the notes created (modified) on 11th day of any other month. To find all November notes you should search for "/11/".

Search by note's creation / modification date and time. Keep in mind that the search is still text based, so you can enter "11/" to list all notes created / modified in November (if your system uses the US time format), but you'll also see the notes created / modified on 11th day of any other month. To find all November notes you should search for "/11/".

If you want to search also inside of words, you need to activate the "Search inside words" option by clicking on the magnifying glass icon (or simply right-clicking) in the search box, and selecting "Search inside words" item from the drop-down menu.

If you want to search also inside of words, you need to activate the "Search inside words" option by clicking on the magnifying glass icon (or simply right-clicking) in the search box, and selecting the "Search inside words" item from the drop-down menu.

Now onto "Previewing and Reading Notes" :)

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Right Previewing and Reading Notes was only a small section, so it only took a couple of minutes.

CintaNotes displays a note's Text directly in the notes list.

CintaNotes displays a note's text directly in the notes list.

Change of uppercase 'T' in 'Text' to lowercase.

If note's text is too long to fit into the preview, a small arrow indicator is displayed in the lower right corner.

If a note's text is too long to fit into the preview, a small arrow indicator is displayed in the lower right corner.

With Left and Right arrow keys you can scroll the currently focused note's text directly in the preview.

With the Left and Right arrow keys you can scroll the currently focused note's text directly in the preview.

The indicator by default points right, indicating the pressing the Right arrow key will show more text.

The indicator by default points right, indicating
that
pressing the Right arrow key will show more text.

After you start scrolling, it will change to a double-sided arrow when there's text both before and after the visible segment, and, finally, to a left arrow when you reach the end.

After you start scrolling, it will change to a double-sided arrow when there is text both before and after the visible segment, and finally, to a left arrow when you reach the end.

As well as the addition, note also the removal of the comma after 'and' towards the end of the sentence.

Managing Notes is next! It seems to be about the longest section, so it may take me a couple of days to digest it.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi Chris,

i think you are doing an excellent job in reviewing CN's manual. It is great to have you supporting CN in an area that lacked attention so far.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i think you are doing an excellent job in reviewing CN's manual. It is great to have you supporting CN in an area that lacked attention so far.

Thanks Thomas! :D

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:21 am

Chris, great job! thank you so much.
I've applied the fixes to the online docs, and will include them into the next update.
Please continue ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Please continue ;)

Will do!

Chris

Return to “Bug Reports”