Missing Characters when Clipping

usbpoweredfridge

Missing Characters when Clipping

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 am

I seem to have a knack of finding webpages that break CN's clipping in some way. Here:
http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/iraq- ... -memorial/

Using IE v11, if I highlight the third paragraph (the one with the numerous links in it) and clip it to CN, CN removes the last character from the last word in the link and replaces it with a space and then a >. So "living in Somalia" becomes "living in Somali >". If I paste the text to a text editor, it is fine, so I think something is going wrong with CN here.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Missing Characters when Clipping

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am

I get this, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong:

sshot-8.png
sshot-8.png (52.92 KiB) Viewed 22302 times

Also note that "Read more: <link>" on the bottom, that was not part of the text segment I selected.
This hints that this page is doing some smart-ass-Javascript meddling with copying to clipboard.

In these circumstances, it's hard to guarantee anything, sorry.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes - the website could be doing something like that, though I am not sure why I see different behaviour to you, or why the text pastes into a text editor with no issues (though that could be because the text editor is just plain text, and CN is rich text). I might next time try clipping from Firefox, which is my main browser (I only use IE for this one specific site and I have noticed that there are differences in IE clipping vs Firefox clipping, such as CN discarding the formatting of text such as bolding when clipped from Firefox, while it keeps it when clipping from IE).

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:39 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Yes - the website could be doing something like that, though I am not sure why I see different behaviour to you, or why the text pastes into a text editor with no issues (though that could be because the text editor is just plain text, and CN is rich text). I might next time try clipping from Firefox, which is my main browser (I only use IE for this one specific site and I have noticed that there are differences in IE clipping vs Firefox clipping, such as CN discarding the formatting of text such as bolding when clipped from Firefox, while it keeps it when clipping from IE).

I don't know why the behavior is different, but I know the answer to the last question. IE makes data in the RTF format available in the clipboard, whereas Firefox only gives plain text and HTML, but not RTF.
Currently CintaNotes only reads RTF and TEXT formats.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:06 am

This is odd - the problem does not happen if I highlight just paragraphs from the articles (these paragraphs do include URLs). However, if I highlight all the text from the heading down to the end paragraph, the problem does happen. In fact, I can highlight the entire article - excluding the heading - and the clipping is fine. Include the heading however, and CN just can't handle it (so you can reproduce it just by highlighting the heading down to and including the first paragraph - you do not need to include the full article).

Also, as well as removing a character, CN inserts a character incorrectly. Using this article as an example:
http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/bill- ... apr-video/

CN inserts a bullet point at the start of the very first paragraph - and a blank bullet point just above that, both incorrect. This is what I have highlighted in IE:
http://i.imgur.com/ZclBtdv.png

This is what CN pastes:
http://i.imgur.com/YSsRH1W.png

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 am

Chris,
once again - this site messes with the clipboard using Javascript. Under these circumstances, all bets are off.
CintaNotes can't do anything - it already receives garbled data after emulating Ctrl+C.
Sorry ;(
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 pm

So why then does copying and pasting to a text editor work fine? It's only CN that can't handle the text. That to me says the clipboard data is not garbled.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:17 am

Yes, I was a bit hasty jumping to conclusions here - sorry!
The problem is in the RTF format which Internet Explorer provides.
CN takes RTF when it is available.
Probably the solution would be to disable RTF clipping, would this solve the problem for you?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 am

Yes, an option to disable RTF would solve the problem I believe - I have entered that into the roadmap here:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/549 ... -clipping/

Plain text would also save me a little bit of effort here and there, even with sites I have no issues with - when I clip a note that has some formatting (bolding, italics etc) I actually remove it from the note before I click Ok to accept it. If it was clipping plain text, I wouldn't have to do this.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 am

Ok then it's settled. Good thing this is easy to implement ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Very good, thank you :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:25 am

Chris, hi, please try the new beta, it already supports disabling of RTF clipping:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1951
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:08 am

Yes, it does now clip from DuffelBlog without dropping characters, and without adding characters that were not there originally (bullet point for example).

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:44 am

Good to hear that, thanks Chris!
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”