Option to Remove 'Inbox' from Section

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
usbpoweredfridge

Option to Remove 'Inbox' from Section

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Unless this is unintended, there does not seem to be a way to remove the 'inbox' marker from a section, when there is only one section in a notebook. For example, create a notebook and add two sections to it. Designate one as an inbox (right click, 'Inbox'), then delete the other section. You now have a section marked as an inbox, and neither the right click menu nor the hotkey can remove it (guess how I discovered this!).

Not that the inbox status matters too much when you have a notebook with only one section - but as a neat freak, I would still like to be able to remove it.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Option to Remove 'Inbox' from Section

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Chris, thanks for reporting!
I'd argue that the correct thing to do here would be just hide the marker when there's only one section - since it is forced to be the inbox section anyway (I mean, the whole concept of inbox section only has sense when there's more than one section).

The ability to set/unset the mark when in fact the behavior would be the same either way would be misleading.

The only scenario when this makes a difference is when you add another section again. Then if the first one had the mark, it will remain Inbox. If it didn't have the mark, no section will be Inbox and clipped notes will go into active section.

Tough call, heh :)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Chris,

the inbox is used to insert notes which are created by the global shortcut. Thus it is needed for technical reasons. Probably it would be possible to not show the icon, if there is one section only. I understand you think this is just visual clutter, right?

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:29 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I'd argue that the correct thing to do here would be just hide the marker when there's only one section - since it is forced to be the inbox section anyway (I mean, the whole concept of inbox section only has sense when there's more than one section).

The ability to set/unset the mark when in fact the behavior would be the same either way would be misleading.

Yes, agreed - it would make more sense just to hide it, as there is no functional difference when the notebook contains only one section.

The only scenario when this makes a difference is when you add another section again. Then if the first one had the mark, it will remain Inbox. If it didn't have the mark, no section will be Inbox and clipped notes will go into active section.

Tough call, heh :)

Someone is going to be unhappy either way :) It's a shame there wasn't a test environment where we could gather all CN users, and then just watch how many of them delete all but one section and then add new sections (who would see this) - and then compare that to how many users delete all but two sections and then add a new section (who would not see this).

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:the inbox is used to insert notes which are created by the global shortcut. Thus it is needed for technical reasons. Probably it would be possible to not show the icon, if there is one section only. I understand you think this is just visual clutter, right?

Hi Thomas,

Yes, correct - when there is only one section in a notebook, it is essentially the inbox, whether it is marked as such or not. So there is no functional difference, it is just visual clutter. Sadly, unlike most people, I am extremely sensitive to visual clutter/visual artifacts and they are something which probably bother me more than anything else :( This is why I noticed the icon, where a lot of people would not have done. I literally did those steps from my first post about 2 minutes before I posted, and the icon was the first thing I noticed afterwards - and I immediately went looking for a way to remove it (and when I couldn't find one, I came here).

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Ok then. Let's do the following: CN will clear the "Inbox" mark on deleting a section when only one section is left. This should sort out all problems.

For the sake of completeness, there's a simple workaround how you could remove the mark now: just add another section, clear the mark, and delete the new section again.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:09 am

Already reported in the Beta thread, but the new Beta still does not allow that status to be removed, despite it being listed in the changelog.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:45 am

It actually works differently: now CN doesn't allow this situation to happen in the first place.
But if you're already there, just create a dummy section and immediately delete it again, this will remove the mark.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 am

Ok, yes - doing it the way described does indeed remove the inbox icon.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Great 8-)
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”