More Efficient Way to Clip when Using Multiple Notebooks

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
usbpoweredfridge

More Efficient Way to Clip when Using Multiple Notebooks

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:20 am

My previously single large notebook has recently become a series of smaller notebooks. Though this is of benefit to me with regards to organising my notes and keeping things tidy, there is a downside when it comes to clipping. Let's say that you have CN running in the system tray at all times, minimised. You are browsing a website, and you see an article you would like to keep - so you clip it. Now, when the CN window appears, you find that you are in the wrong notebook. You then have to cancel the note, open the correct notebook, flip back to your browser and clip again. Of course, you may get lucky and the currently opened notebook may in fact be the notebook you were wanting to put the note into, but for me, that is very much the minority. I was thinking of some potential solutions to this, none of which are currently implemented (which is why I am posting here). This is what I have come up with so far:

1. You can currently set a section in a notebook as an inbox. This only works when CN has that particular notebook open - what about being able to set an inbox, regardless of whether the notebook is open or not? The only requirement would be that the notebook has to be in the File menu as a recently opened it. That way, if you clip, it doesn't matter what notebook is open, as the note will go into the specified notebook (which can be a holding notebook, a temporary storage place for notes until you can move them), where you could later copy and paste it into the correct notebook. Downsides - it would interfere with an inbox in the currently opened notebook (how would CN decide which inbox to go to, unless you had two levels of inbox - one local, one global and there can only be one single global and global always over-rides local). Also, it would still be more work for you, as you would have to go into your inbox later and copy/paste the note to the correct notebook - so you don't really gain anything except complications in CN.

2. The new note pop-up (assuming you have that option in CN enabled) allows you to set tags, edit the note etc before you click Ok. Could this be given a 'notebook' field, where you could select the notebook (from a dropdown) where you want the note to be stored? May be technically tricky to implement though.

3. A propose feature of CN is to display currently opened notebooks as tabs in the main CN window. Possibly, could this be a solution? In that if you have all your notebooks open and in tabs, if you clip a note and it places it into the wrong notebook, you may be able to drag and drop the note to one of the other tabs (notebooks)? I don't know if drag and dropping between tabs is going to be a part of this feature however.

Anyone else think of any solutions?

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: More Efficient Way to Clip when Using Multiple Notebooks

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:17 am

Chris, there's another option which is worth mentioning: running multiple copies of CN simultaneously, each with its own notebook. You can assign different hotkeys to each instance, just make sure that the copies are separated physically on disk.
Also you can use different color schemes to distinguish their icons the system tray.
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”