Make Notes List Options a "sectional" setting

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
MisterB

Make Notes List Options a "sectional" setting

Postby MisterB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:39 pm

I've been using CintaNotes for only a while, so if this is already achievable with existing settings, then please enlighten me. I have searched around (here, Help, FAQ) but didn't come up with anything beyond the manual approach (each and every time).

Basically, what I have are two different types of notes: code (in my Code section) and non-code (in every other section). I'd like the default note text for Code to be monospace; I'd like the default note text for other sections to be different and proportional (what they already are essentially). For now, when I create a note in Code, I just Ctrl+A and Ctrl+M, which is fine--I guess, but having it default to monospace would be less "tedious".

Perhaps, a better method(?) would be to simply make it an option per section to enable Ctrl+M by default instead of having all of Notes List Options be "sectional", but you tell me.

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Make Notes List Options a "sectional" setting

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 am

Hi MisterB,

Thanks for your suggestion!

You are correct in assuming that currently this is not possible.
However there is a workaround: you could run two separate CN instances, each with its own font settings.
One will be for code, and other will be for other notes.

This way you'll have the additional advantage of having separate set of clipping hot keys!
Will this fit the bill?
Alex
MisterB

Postby MisterB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks. That does seem to work, though I'm not sure how "workable" it'll be in the long run--it has both benefits and drawbacks. My biggest reason for using CintaNotes is simplicity; using multiple instances adds a level of complexity which I'm not sure yet will be offset by the benefits. But, I'll play around with it some more--see if it grows on me. ;)

I don't really see having multiple clipping hot key combinations as an advantage--having to think first about which one I might want to use is a step away from simplicity. Of course, having more control over the typeface being used is nice; the monospace font-size is really one size larger than I'd like compared to the default, so being able to explicitly specify that is a benefit (just not sure if it's enough of a benefit yet). A little yin here, a little yang there (as with most things).

Well, stuff to play with. :D Thanks again.
MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:34 am

I've encountered a major drawback during testing: if I start the second instance without having started the first instance, and then start the second one later after starting the first, then the modified settings for the second will be wiped out and reset back to defaults (though the notes db is OK). Much simpler to just stick with the one instance--no gotchas to watch out for.

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 am

I forgot to tell that if you go the "separate instance" route, you'll need to have a second
instance as an independent copy - the portable version is perfect for this.
This way you can insure that the instances have independent settings as well.

Also added your original suggestion as an idea to the roadmap:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/688 ... ion-level/
Alex
MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Actually, I am using the portable version, though to be precise it's the portable version from PortableApps.com (I use a bunch of their stuff, for a decade now). In theory, it should work the same, but of course you're always going to have an implementation factor which could make it work differently than expected. Even so, it surprised me that the multiple instances were not as "invisible", one to the other(s), as I thought they'd be.

I might revisit the multiple instances idea again down the road using your portable version instead, but I've got another idea to explore which I'll only mention in passing here (before starting a separate topic for it): a "to do list" (however, when I say "list", I really mean Section--the idea for which sort of starting when I saw your "Inbox" attribute; it's almost amazing how close a section already is to supporting a ToDo list format ...anyway, more on that later).

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks for the additional details!
I wonder why the portable versions have this interference, normally they shouldn't.
The only reason why this could happen is if they are located in Program Files, in this case
CN uses the application data folder. If they are, please move them out to C:\Apps or similar.

About the todo list idea - would be interesting to hear!
Thanks again
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”