One feature in Beta M9 you didn't know about :)

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

One feature in Beta M9 you didn't know about :)

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 am

That's right, and that is because I myself have forgotten that I've done it ;))

When you middle-click on a tag on tag sidebar, this tag is toggled on the current note selection.
Alex
Noddy330

Re: One feature in Beta M9 you didn't know about :)

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:That's right, and that is because I myself have forgotten that I've done it ;))

When you middle-click on a tag on tag sidebar, this tag is toggled on the current note selection.

That is very handy. But beware of using it on the currently selected tag set - you can toggle OFF, but cant toggle back ON.
Nod.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 am

Noddy330 wrote:That is very handy. But beware of using it on the currently selected tag set - you can toggle OFF, but cant toggle back ON. Nod.

Yes, unfortunately there indeed exists this quirk. I couldn't find a relatively easy way to put some safety net around this. Prohibiting using this feature on currently selected tags would be too restrictive, and auto-switching to "All" wouldn't be what users expect.
Maybe you have some idea how we could handle this gracefully?
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:35 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Noddy330 wrote:That is very handy. But beware of using it on the currently selected tag set - you can toggle OFF, but cant toggle back ON. Nod.

Yes, unfortunately there is such a quirk. I couldn't find a way to put some safety net around this. Prohibiting using this feature on currently selected tags would be a bit overboard, I think. Maybe you have any idea?

Not yet - sorry. But I'm thinking about it. Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 am

I dig this a lot, too.

As for the the quirk, how about it when you first middle-click a tag, the note view changed to the middle-clicked tagged notes view -- then you could just select the notes for toggling the tag off, the worst case scenario being that if you just midddle-clicked again you'd toggle the tag off the note(s) you had just added to? (Is this clear enough?) :?:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 am

Maybe it needs a pop up box, to accept or cancel the toggle action, when the result of toggleing would remove note(s) from the currently selected view. Nod
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 am

Alternatively, what if a second middle click reverses the action of the first middle click, disregarding what is currently in view? Providing nothing else was done between the two clicks. In effect an undo command. Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 am

Midas wrote:I dig this a lot, too.

As for the the quirk, how about it when you first middle-click a tag, the note view changed to the middle-clicked tagged notes view -- then you could just select the notes for toggling the tag off, the worst case scenario being that if you just midddle-clicked again you'd toggle the tag off the note(s) you had just added to? (Is this clear enough?) :?:

And how would you get out of this view?
Anyway it will greatly complicate the view logic, since now it is simply notebook->tag filter->text filter->view
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 am

Noddy330 wrote:Alternatively, what if a second middle click reverses the action of the first middle click, disregarding what is currently in view? Providing nothing else was done between the two clicks. In effect an undo command. Nod

I think this is the most sensible alternative since that's what most of the users would expect.
Unfortunately it's tricky to implement, too.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Noddy330 wrote:Alternatively, what if a second middle click reverses the action of the first middle click, disregarding what is currently in view? Providing nothing else was done between the two clicks. In effect an undo command. Nod

I think this is the most sensible alternative since that's what most of the users would expect.
Unfortunately it's tricky to implement, too.

Yes - I appreciate what easy to say isn't always easy to implement. If you did do this, could you implement a full undo command just as easy? Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Yes, you're right! Undo is the most straight forward and thus the best way. :oops:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”