CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Beta 2

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun May 24, 2015 3:01 pm

May 24, 2015 - Version 2.9 Beta2

In this version:
(in green - changes from 2.9 Beta 1)

Features:
  • Notebook encryption and password protection: New menu item "File/Password protection".
  • Added option to remember encrypted password to allow background tasks to run even when notebook is locked
  • Changed simple re-asking of password to "Minimize to tray and lock after a timeout"
  • Made password protection a PRO feature as planned
  • Added "Lock immediately after minimizing to tray" option
  • Removed file attachments feature, postponed to the next major update because of inability to sync large attachments via Simplenote

Enhancements:
  • XML export: dropped support of old 1.5.4 XML format
  • Import dialog: add "Allow duplicates" checkbox
  • Recycle bin: notes in recycle bin are now compressed, hence recycle bin takes much less space
  • Add DB locking mode setting to the settings file ("sqlite.pragma.locking_mode"), and change default locking mode to "EXCLUSIVE"
  • XML Export: drop support of exporting to old XML format
  • Editor: ability to hide inline labels ("editor.inlinehints.enabled" in cintanotes.settings)
  • Editor: F5 to insert current date (insert timestamp shortcut changed to Ctrl+F5)
  • Editor: file links now support running programs with command line parameters
  • Editor: automatically URL-encode links and add http:// to links without protocol

Fixes:
  • NoteProperties: Error in seconds when editing dates in notes
  • Licensing: replacing existing license by clipped license data didn't work correctly
  • Search and replace: the hint "search has reached the starting point" didn't auto-hide
  • Editor: wrong behavior when pressing Del on the empty last line of a bullet list
  • Editor: Link field could grow too large

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_9_Beta2_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_9_Beta2.zip
Alex
Noddy330

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Beta 2

Postby Noddy330 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:01 pm

looking good. Nod
awm

Postby awm » Sun May 24, 2015 8:29 pm

pfff, and I was so hoping for the file attachment functionalities.... :-|
now I have to wait again till an undefined period in the future....

But, nevertheless I'm thankfull that you pay so much thougthfull effort in development.
Love the program!
Strenght s are:
- flexible tagging possibilities
- great search functions.

SimplyNote is for me only usefull as an alternative for MAKING the notes.
So only one way syncing: from simplenote to cintanotes. 3 times a year or so....
Never had the wish or the necessary use of going from CN to SN!

How many CN-users are relying on SN as their notetaking app?
And how many of them are really syncing from CN to SN?
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*]Removed file attachments feature, postponed to the next major update because of inability to sync large attachments via Simplenote

I'm a sad Panda :( Though this was not entirely unexpected (you had mentioned the SN problem before), I was still hoping it wouldn't happen. Attachments and url parsing / clipping are the two things I am badly missing in CN.

By way of explanation, when I first started using CN, all my notes (the vast majority of my notes are from clipping text from webpages) were purely text based - which is fine, as CN is purely a text based program. As time has progressed, less and less of my notes are 100% text based, and more and more they are containing non-text content (eg images, url's etc) - things that CN can't handle in other words. For the last few months, I have not added all that many notes to my CN databases - not because I don't have anything to add (the number of items I have wanted to add has not decreased at all), but because hardly anything is just 100% text based and CN can't handle those non-text items.

What I have been doing to handle this situation is simply saving a webpage (using MHT format) that I want to clip from into a folder on my PC named "To save into CN", with the hope that I will be able to put them into CN one day (when CN gains attachments and url parsing - though I still would prefer inline attachments as I have posted previously, I can probably make the non-inline attachments of Beta 1 work). There are 204 webpages in that folder at the moment - fearing the amount of work in clipping all that content, I actually went looking for a decent non-text note taker yesterday (I am saddened to say, something to replace CN - I can't justify keeping two separate note taking applications, even when one is as good as CN). I looked at Microsoft OneNote, and though it is now free, it cannot handle offline content (you have to save your database to Microsoft OneDrive). I then looked at Evernote - same deal, cloud only unless you want to come up with $$$ for the premium version. That is as far as I have gone so far - every google search I have done says to use either one of these two (I know there are other apps, but apparently OneNote and Evernote hold a 99.9% market share and so no one mentions anything else) - so my search continues.

Anyway, ignore me - I just needed to vent at the (for me) upsetting state of CN for my particular needs :( I don't regret my lifetime pro licence purchase a while back, but the only thing I am using CN for at the moment is to open and check some old notes, not continually adding new ones.

Chris
Last edited by usbpoweredfridge on Tue May 26, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:02 pm

awm wrote:pfff, and I was so hoping for the file attachment functionalities.... :-|
now I have to wait again till an undefined period in the future....

Well it's not THAT undefined. I'm pretty sure we'll release it by the end of summer ;)

awm wrote:But, nevertheless I'm thankfull that you pay so much thougthfull effort in development.
Love the program!
Strenght s are:
- flexible tagging possibilities
- great search functions.

Thanks for the kind words!

SimplyNote is for me only usefull as an alternative for MAKING the notes.
So only one way syncing: from simplenote to cintanotes. 3 times a year or so....
Never had the wish or the necessary use of going from CN to SN!

Well I see SN mostly as a way to get access to notes from web and mobile clients.
Currently CN doesn't have any alternative for this.

How many CN-users are relying on SN as their notetaking app?
And how many of them are really syncing from CN to SN?

I don't have the exact numbers, but I know that there are quite a few, myself included.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Noddy330 wrote:looking good. Nod

Thanks for taking a look, Nod!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I'm a sad Panda :( Though this was not entirely unexpected (you had mentioned the SN problem before), I was still hoping it wouldn't happen. Attachments and ur parsing / clipping are the two things I am badly missing in CN.

Was not an easy decision for me either, believe it or not. But still better than delivering something half-baked.
We need a complete solution, something that is designed to work with all CN's features including the sync ability.

By way of explanation, when I first started using CN, all my notes (the vast majority of my notes are from clipping text from webpages) were purely text based - which is fine, as CN is purely a text based program. As time has progressed, less and less of my notes are 100% text based, and more and more they are containing non-text content (eg images, url's etc) - things that CN can't handle in other words. For the last few months, I have not added all that many notes to my CN databases - not because I don't have anything to add (the number of items I have wanted to add has not decreased at all), but because hardly anything is just 100% text based and CN can't handle those non-text items.

Thanks for explaining the way you use CN - this is always interesting.

I looked at Microsoft OneNote, and though it is now free, it cannot handle offline content (you have to save your database to Microsoft OneDrive). I then looked at Evernote - same deal, cloud only unless you want to come up with $$$ for the premium version. That is as far as I have gone so far - every google search I have done says to use either one of these two (I know there are other apps, but apparently OneNote and Evernote hold a 99.9% market share and so no one mentions anything else) - so my search continues.

Wow, believe it or not but I didn't know that OneNote and Evernote had such limitations. That's huge for marketing. Thanks.

Anyway, ignore me - I just needed to vent at the (for me) upsetting state of CN for my particular needs :( I don't regret my lifetime pro licence purchase a while back, but the only thing I am using CN for at the moment is to open and check some old notes, not continually adding new ones.

Well, we'll try to do our best to put CN back up into your "most used apps" list - at least by delivering file attachments ;)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue May 26, 2015 6:06 am

Hi Alex,

i've just installed 2.9 beta 2.

* Editor: wrong behavior when pressing Del on the empty last line of a bullet list
=> confirm FIXED :)

* Editor: F5 to insert current date (insert timestamp shortcut changed to Ctrl+F5)
=> Interesting, since i often deleted the time fraction after inserting the timestamp. Not sure though, if i like the shortcut change. I'll keep you informed.

* NoteProperties: Error in seconds when editing dates in notes
=> confirm FIXED

I did not run any other tests.

Do you expect any changes to the file format for the release candidate?

Can we use 2.9 beta 2 for production (with the usual precautions)?

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue May 26, 2015 6:51 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Was not an easy decision for me either, believe it or not.

Indeed, I believe it - I could tell that from the tone of your previous post on the subject.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:We need a complete solution, something that is designed to work with all CN's features including the sync ability.

Yeah, deep down I do know that :(

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thanks for explaining the way you use CN - this is always interesting.

No problem. Some (small percentage) of my notes are just manually added ones - ie not clipped from a website - and these are fine with plain text and CN's current capabilities, it is just the web clipping that is causing me problems.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Wow, believe it or not but I didn't know that OneNote and Evernote had such limitations. That's huge for marketing. Thanks.

Neither did I until I went looking. The Microsoft blog post about OneNote going free is here. They do mention it briefly, but don't quite give the full truth:
The free edition of OneNote stores your notes on OneDrive for easy access across all your devices and works whether you’re online or offline.

To me, that clearly implies that you can store your notes offline - not true. It just means OneNote will still run if you are not connected to the internet (see comments from a number of users here that confirm your notes still have to be stored on OneDrive). You also need a Microsoft account to access OneDrive to begin with of course - which is an extra hassle to sign up for and maintain. The full (non-free) version of OneNote that comes with Microsoft Office has offline storage apparently, but you obviously have to pay for a copy of Microsoft Office to get that.

Here is Evernote. There are three versions of it, Basic (free), Plus ($$$), Premium ($$$). That link is to the Plus page, and "Access notes when you are offline" is the specific item. Interestingly, Evernote don't mention Basic is online only, you only work that out if you click the Plus tab and look at its feature set and see that specific item.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well, we'll try to do our best to put CN back up into your "most used apps" list - at least by delivering file attachments ;)

That would be one big step. At least that way for webpages with embedded images (which I simply save into the 'to add to CN later' folder I mentioned), I could save the embedded image from the webpage and attach it into the CN database along with the text. If the position of the embedded image was important to the text itself, I could just put something in brackets like "(see attachment)" when I clip the note.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue May 26, 2015 6:58 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*]Editor: Link field could grow too large

Oh, by the way - this one does appear to be fixed (refers to thread here for description of problem). The field still resizes slightly, but it is much better now and I consider it acceptable.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Alex,

i did some tests regarding file encryption.

1. Minimize to tray after 1 minute does nothing, when an editor window is open.

2. changing options is possible only when entering a (new) password, e.g. lock immediately
UPDATE: no longer reproducible

3. maybe changing password should be a separate dialog, callable using a button, since it is not clear, whether an existing password will be used (ignored) or do i have to enter the password again

4. encrypting and decrypting a db file worked

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 26, 2015 10:53 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote: => Interesting, since i often deleted the time fraction after inserting the timestamp. Not sure though, if i like the shortcut change. I'll keep you informed.

ok, thanks

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Do you expect any changes to the file format for the release candidate?
Can we use 2.9 beta 2 for production (with the usual precautions)?

I don't expect file format changes for 2.9 (but of course there may be for 2.9.5 or 3.0).
I think 2.9 is ready for production use, but of course make a backup copy for just in case ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Neither did I until I went looking. The Microsoft blog post about OneNote going free is here. They do mention it briefly, but don't quite give the full truth:
The free edition of OneNote stores your notes on OneDrive for easy access across all your devices and works whether you’re online or offline.

To me, that clearly implies that you can store your notes offline - not true. It just means OneNote will still run if you are not connected to the internet (see comments from a number of users here that confirm your notes still have to be stored on OneDrive). You also need a Microsoft account to access OneDrive to begin with of course - which is an extra hassle to sign up for and maintain. The full (non-free) version of OneNote that comes with Microsoft Office has offline storage apparently, but you obviously have to pay for a copy of Microsoft Office to get that.

Here is Evernote. There are three versions of it, Basic (free), Plus ($$$), Premium ($$$). That link is to the Plus page, and "Access notes when you are offline" is the specific item. Interestingly, Evernote don't mention Basic is online only, you only work that out if you click the Plus tab and look at its feature set and see that specific item.

Very interesting stuff. Huge thanks for this info, Chris!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Oh, by the way - this one does appear to be fixed (refers to thread here for description of problem). The field still resizes slightly, but it is much better now and I consider it acceptable.

Great, so this one can be crossed out.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 26, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Lohrum wrote:1. Minimize to tray after 1 minute does nothing, when an editor window is open.

When the editor is open, CN assumes that you're still working with your notes.
Actually I consider an error that CN locks when you minimize. IMO when an editor is open, CN should never lock.
Do you have another opinion?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:2. changing options is possible only when entering a (new) password, e.g. lock immediately
UPDATE: no longer reproducible

There's exactly one option that requires re-entering the old password: when you switch from 'don't remember' to 'remember'. Obviosly this is needed to have something to remember ;)

3. maybe changing password should be a separate dialog, callable using a button, since it is not clear, whether an existing password will be used (ignored) or do i have to enter the password again

I agree with that. Current design tries to fit too many use cases into one dialog and is thus confusing.
I'd say let the dialog display a bold status label like "Notebook is encrypted" with a button "Change password..." near it.
What do you think? would it be clearer?

BTW I'm actively using password myself, and while at first it was constantly in my way, now with the "Remember password" option I hardly notice any niusance at all. I can clip notes without entering password, and all background ops are running.
I don't mind to have password stored on disk, as I only want to protect the notes from a random look, not from a determined hacker.

To everyone who uses password protection:
What are your experiences in this regard? Please share. It's still not too late to fix design flaws ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue May 26, 2015 11:42 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Actually I consider an error that CN locks when you minimize. IMO when an editor is open, CN should never lock.

It is a risk either way - unprotected data (no lock while editor is open) vs data loss (locks while editor is open, discarding all the user entered data). Personally, I would probably err on the side of caution here and disable locking while the editor is open (as long it is made clear to the user in the documentation that CN won't lock while an editor window is open).

CintaNotes Developer wrote:There's exactly one option that requires re-entering the old password: when you switch from 'don't remember' to 'remember'. Obviosly this is needed to have something to remember ;)

And when toggling the 'protect this notebook with a password' option to 'off' as well I think? That would make two. Just looking at the options, these are the only two I would personally would require re-entering the old password on as well.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I agree with that. Current design tries to fit too many use cases into one dialog and is thus confusing.
I'd say let the dialog display a bold status label like "Notebook is encrypted" with a button "Change password..." near it.
What do you think? would it be clearer?

Sounds reasonable to me.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:BTW I'm actively using password myself, and while at first it was constantly in my way, now with the "Remember password" option I hardly notice any niusance at all. I can clip notes without entering password, and all background ops are running.
I don't mind to have password stored on disk, as I only want to protect the notes from a random look, not from a determined hacker.

To everyone who uses password protection:
What are your experiences in this regard? Please share. It's still not too late to fix design flaws ;)

I like how it works now. We have an option to lock the database when manually minimising it, and we have an option to lock the database when CN minimises itself. Also an option for the user to let CN remember the password or to not remember the password. I have tried some basic testing on these - except for the remember password option (I am curious to see where the password is stored, and if it is stored decrypted or with some basic encryption applied) - and so far have found no problems. I think the warning is also clear, that the user will lose data if they forget the password. I like how this has been implemented so far :)

Chris

Edit: Actually, may have just found one issue. This is with the password not saved. I minimise CN to the tray, which locks the DB. I then double click the cintanotes.exe file again. This brings CN out of the tray, and displays a message that it has activated the already running CN instance. All ok so far. The problem is - you can actually see all the notes in the CN window, despite the database being protected by a password :( Yes, you can only see however many notes the CN window can show at one time, and you may not be able to see all the text of any particular note - but you can see some things. At this point, when you acknowledge the message about the running instance, CN gives you a dialog box asking for the password. If you click Cancel, you i. Get an error dialog (copied below) and ii. You can still see the notes in the CN window.

---------------------------
[Error]
class app::dialogs::PasswordEnterCancelledException

OK

The error dialog when you click Cancel is understandable - but I think it needs to be reworded to be not as scary for a user. The bigger problem is being able to see some notes in the CN window without having entered the password. When you do click Cancel, after 5-10 seconds, CN will display the password dialog again, but you can just click Cancel once more. When I did this, CN did not display the password dialog again - it just left the window sitting there unlocked - until I clicked on the CN window itself.
Last edited by usbpoweredfridge on Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 am

Well, we'll try to do our best to put CN back up into your "most used apps" list - at least by delivering file attachments ;)

CN is certainly on my list of most used apps, and has been for a number of years - ever since my last note software stopped being developed and supported.
That’s one of the good things about CN – active, responsive and ongoing support and development.
PS Looks like the ‘pinned to top’ problem is sorted in this version.
Thanks, Nod
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:1. Minimize to tray after 1 minute does nothing, when an editor window is open.
When the editor is open, CN assumes that you're still working with your notes.
Actually I consider an error that CN locks when you minimize. IMO when an editor is open, CN should never lock.

Ok, so the minimize to tray is for the main window only?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:3. maybe changing password should be a separate dialog, callable using a button, since it is not clear, whether an existing password will be used (ignored) or do i have to enter the password again
I agree with that. Current design tries to fit too many use cases into one dialog and is thus confusing. I'd say let the dialog display a bold status label like "Notebook is encrypted" with a button "Change password..." near it. What do you think? would it be clearer?

Yes, i think so.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:It is a risk either way - unprotected data (no lock while editor is open) vs data loss (locks while editor is open, discarding all the user entered data). Personally, I would probably err on the side of caution here and disable locking while the editor is open (as long it is made clear to the user in the documentation that CN won't lock while an editor window is open).

Yes, sure it will be documented. The problem is that few people read it.
An possible alternative would be to still lock the DB and re-ask password when the user closes the editor to save the changes. However it can easily become a nuisanse - the user isn't expecting the need to enter password at this time.

And when toggling the 'protect this notebook with a password' option to 'off' as well I think? That would make two. Just looking at the options, these are the only two I would personally would require re-entering the old password on as well.

Yes, exactly. Forgot about that.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Ok, we'll do it then.

I like how it works now. We have an option to lock the database when manually minimising it, and we have an option to lock the database when CN minimises itself. Also an option for the user to let CN remember the password or to not remember the password. I have tried some basic testing on these - except for the remember password option (I am curious to see where the password is stored, and if it is stored decrypted or with some basic encryption applied) - and so far have found no problems. I think the warning is also clear, that the user will lose data if they forget the password. I like how this has been implemented so far :)

Great, thanks!

Edit: Actually, may have just found one issue.

I confirm. We'll fix that, thanks!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, sure it will be documented. The problem is that few people read it.

Correct...but at least people only have themselves to blame then. That's something :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:An possible alternative would be to still lock the DB and re-ask password when the user closes the editor to save the changes. However it can easily become a nuisanse - the user isn't expecting the need to enter password at this time.

Yeah, I agree - I think that would be a nuisance.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I confirm. We'll fix that, thanks!

Thanks! And to answer my question in my previous post regarding where the password was saved when it was save to disk, and whether it would be in plain text or not, the answers are i. Password is saved to cintanotes.settings (logical), and ii. The password is not in plain text (I'm assuming it is an AES encrypted string rather than just something simple like XOR or rot13). The password is even removed from cintanotes.settings when you toggle the option back the other way - very nice! :) I expected it would have been - but something small like that is easy to miss during development, so I did want to test it to make sure. As I said in a post in the Beta 1 thread, I think the encryption is pretty solid at this stage from what I can see.

Chris

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”