[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Beta 3 (Release Candidate)

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Beta 3 (Release Candidate)

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 am

Hi all and huge thanks to you for your great help with testing the previous betas!

Since there was quite a bit of UI changes involved that resulted from the previous discussion,
we've decided to publish this "Release Candidate" version first, just to make sure that
everything is working smoothly before going live with 2.9.

May 29, 2015 - Version 2.9 Beta3
(in green - changes since the last beta).

In this version:

Features:
  • Notebook encryption and password protection: New menu item "File/Password protection".
    • Fixed that main window could be displayed without entering passoword when
      re-running CN from shortcut, when it was already running and locked
    • When the password is set, CN displays status label "Notebook is encrypted",
      with a button "Change password..." directly to the right.
      Pressing the button displays the panel with the 'New password" and
      "Confirm password" edit boxes. "Old password" edit box is removed (see below)
    • If needed, CN asks for old password only AFTER the user presses OK in the
      "Password protection" dialog, but before the changes are applied and results displayed
      (the default password prompt dialog is used). Cases when old password is needed:
      1) Password protection turned off;
      2) "Remember password" turned on;
      3) Password changed

Enhancements:
  • XML export: dropped support of old 1.5.4 XML format
  • Import dialog: add "Allow duplicates" checkbox
  • Editor: ability to hide inline labels ("editor.inlinehints.enabled" in cintanotes.settings)
  • Editor: F5 to insert current date (insert timestamp shortcut changed to Ctrl+F5)
  • Editor: links should support running programs with command line parameters
    Added support for quoted paths to executables (needed for paths with whitespace)
  • Editor: automatically URL-encode links and add http:// to links without protocol
  • Add DB locking mode setting to the settings file ("sqlite.pragma.locking_mode"), and change default locking mode to "EXCLUSIVE"
  • XML Export: drop support of exporting to old XML format

Fixes:
  • NoteProperties: Error in seconds when editing dates in notes
  • Licensing: replacing existing license by clipped license data didn't work correctly
  • Search and replace: the hint "search has reached the starting point" didn't auto-hide
  • Editor: wrong behavior when pressing Del on the empty last line of a bullet list
  • Editor: Link field could grow too large
  • Moving notes to other sections via Shift+F6 didn't update modified date
  • Regression: tag counts were not updated after changing note's section in editor
  • Regression: pressing left or right arrow on a note with empty text displayed error

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_9_Beta3_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_9_Beta3.zip
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Beta 3 (Release Candidate)

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*] Fixed that main window could be displayed without entering password when re-running CN from shortcut, when it was already running and locked

Confirm fixed, thanks :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*] If needed, CN asks for old password only AFTER the user presses OK in the "Password protection" dialog, but before the changes are applied and results displayed (the default password prompt dialog is used).

I would suggest that the pop up box should state 'Enter old password' rather than just 'Enter password' - I was confused for a short moment as to which password CN was wanting me to enter, the old or the new.

Also, maybe when you click the change password button, the caret should be placed in the new password field? At the moment you have to manually click in there.

Chris

Edit: Found another issue, similar to the one I mention above as fixed. If you password protect the DB and then minimise to tray, and then instead of running the Beta 3 cintanotes.exe file, you run another version of cintanotes.exe (I used the last stable version, which is my main install - Beta 3 being installed as portable for testing), then Beta 3 will open without requiring a password and will show you the notes. So to summarise:
1. Two installs of CN required, one using the last stable version and the other using Beta 3 (on my system, the last stable is installed via the installer and Beta 3 is installed portably).
2. Password protect a Beta 3 db, and minimise to tray so the DB is locked/encrypted.
3. Run the cintanotes.exe file of the non-Beta 3 version, in my case, the last stable 2.8.6.
4. Beta 3 will open from tray, displaying a message:
---------------------------
CintaNotes
Activated already running CintaNotes instance.
OK
5. Click Ok and you can now see the notes in the Beta 3 window.
6. If you click the Beta 3 window, the 'enter password' dialog displays, and you still get that debug message when you click Cancel (as you do with Beta 2):
[Error]
class app::dialogs::PasswordEnterCancelledException

OK

Obviously, allow multiple instances in btoh CN installs is disabled.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Moving notes to other sections via Shift+F6 didn't update modified date

You are doing this to activate syncing of those notes? Myself i don't like to update the modified date in a case, when i organize my notes only, rather than actually changing them. This is similar to renaming a tag, in which case i don't want to update the timestamp either.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Alex,

please check my (and Chris') post here http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2007#p9906 before releasing a final version.

It affects storing the pw-hash.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Alex,

i did test the new password dialog. Generally it is an improvement. Especially the new state and the change-password-button. However, as Chris already reported, changing the password is confusing. Imo, the best is to re-integrate the "old-password", else rename the dialog "old password". Also i confirm that the confirmation-password will only be asked, when necessary as stated in your announcement.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I would suggest that the pop up box should state 'Enter old password' rather than just 'Enter password' - I was confused for a short moment as to which password CN was wanting me to enter, the old or the new.

Agreed, will fix that, thanks!

Also, maybe when you click the change password button, the caret should be placed in the new password field? At the moment you have to manually click in there.

Will do!

Edit: Found another issue, similar to the one I mention above as fixed. If you password protect the DB and then minimise to tray, and then instead of running the Beta 3 cintanotes.exe file, you run another version of cintanotes.exe (I used the last stable version, which is my main install - Beta 3 being installed as portable for testing), then Beta 3 will open without requiring a password and will show you the notes.

Wow, that's huge. We'll fix that. Thanks a lot for such a thorough explanation!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You are doing this to activate syncing of those notes? Myself i don't like to update the modified date in a case, when i organize my notes only, rather than actually changing them. This is similar to renaming a tag, in which case i don't want to update the timestamp either.

Well it turned out that the modified date is updated when you change the section from within the note editor via the dropdown list. And this is correct - people are expecting this to happen (have multiple evidence).

Moving notes using Shift+F6 is just a shorthand for opening these notes and changing the section. So I guess it should behave in the same way.

And sure these changes need to be synced right away.

Bit if you have counter arguments, I'm listening ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Alex,

please check my (and Chris') post here http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2007#p9906 before releasing a final version.

It affects storing the pw-hash.

Thomas

Thanks. I think that there's no good reason to change anything at this stage, especially at the cost of losing "true" portability.
CN won't be able to determine if it is located in a Dropbox (OneDrive, GDrive, Box.net, SugarSync, iCloud, Yandex.Disk) folder.
So people who keep CN in such a folder will be advised to turn off password remembering, this will be in the documentation.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i did test the new password dialog. Generally it is an improvement. Especially the new state and the change-password-button. However, as Chris already reported, changing the password is confusing. Imo, the best is to re-integrate the "old-password", else rename the dialog "old password". Also i confirm that the confirmation-password will only be asked, when necessary as stated in your announcement.

Thanks for testing, Thomas. Yes, we'll change the title to "Enter old password" when the password is being changed.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”