[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Final!

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Final!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:59 am

Sorry for the long wait, guys - we were weeding out the remaining imprefections.
Here comes V2.9!
Huge thanks to all who helped in testing this release!

Jun 10, 2015 - Version 2.9

In this version:

Features:
  • Notebook encryption and password protection: New menu item "File/Password protection".
  • Option to lock notebook and minimize to tray after a user-defined timeout
  • Option to autolock notebook after minimizing to tray

Enhancements:
  • XML export: dropped support of old 1.5.4 XML format
  • Import dialog: add "Allow duplicates" checkbox
  • Editor: ability to hide inline labels ("editor.inlinehints.enabled" in cintanotes.settings)
  • Editor: F5 to insert current date (insert timestamp shortcut changed to Ctrl+F5)
  • Editor: links now support running programs with command line parameters
  • Editor: automatically URL-encode links and add http:// to links without protocol
  • Add DB locking mode setting to the settings file ("sqlite.pragma.locking_mode"), and change default locking mode to "EXCLUSIVE"
  • XML Export: drop support of exporting to old XML format
  • Indicate in File menu when password protection or synchronization are active for the current notebook

Fixes:
  • NoteProperties: Error in seconds when editing dates in notes
  • Licensing: replacing existing license by clipped license data didn't work correctly
  • Search and replace: the hint "search has reached the starting point" didn't auto-hide
  • Editor: wrong behavior when pressing Del on the empty last line of a bullet list
  • Editor: Link field could grow too large
  • Moving notes to other sections via Shift+F6 didn't update modified date
  • Fix links watchdog false signal
  • Fix wrong tag autocomplete positioning when taskbar is on the right side

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_9_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_9.zip

P.S. Also now added the description of the password protection feature to the CN Help:
http://cintanotes.com/help/#password_protection
Alex
Noddy330

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.9 Final!

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 pm

I’m having problems with < and & and > when syncing with SN.
I can’t tell if the problem lies in CN or SN, but here it is.
I don’t think it is new to 2.9.
In SN, create a new note
aaaaaaaaaa
<&>
In CN, sync, see the note as expected
Add another line
<&>
And sync
In SN, see the note as
aaaaaaaaaa
&amp;&gt;
<<&amp;&gt;
Other than this, 2.9 looking good.
F5 is very handy, I like to date stamp every note I take.
As always, Thanks, Nod
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:02 am

How do I use this feature?

Code: Select all

•Editor: links now support running programs with command line parameters
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:14 am

Noddy330 wrote:I’m having problems with < and & and > when syncing with SN.
I can’t tell if the problem lies in CN or SN, but here it is.

Hi Noddy, thanks for this report!
I see that the first angle bracket disappears - is this the problem you're referring to?
The conversion of angle brackets and ampersands to their entity representations is by design, to preserve CN's formatting
(needed before we can implement Markdown support).
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:21 am

shawnkhall wrote:How do I use this feature?

Code: Select all

•Editor: links now support running programs with command line parameters

Basically this means that you can put a command line instead of a simple path into any link to file, and also to the Link field. For example, you can put

C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe C:\MyData\myfile.txt

into the Link field, and CintaNotes will open myfile.txt in Notepad each time you activate the note's link.

Note that you need to specify the full path to the executable. Also if it contains spaces, you need to put it in quotes like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TheApp\theapp.exe" -M -k2 D:\myfile
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:16 am

But it is happening to angle bracket symbols when not paired and ampersand symbols

For example, text I have copied from a news group
> Yes, the capitalized "Cartesian" is an interesting formation,
Ended up like this
&gt; Yes, the capitalized "Cartesian" is an interesting formation,

For example text like this
The Spring and Autumn editions of B&B will be available ...
Ended up like this
The Spring and Autumn editions of B&amp;B will be available ...

Nod
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:32 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Note that you need to specify the full path to the executable. Also if it contains spaces, you need to put it in quotes like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TheApp\theapp.exe" -M -k2 D:\myfile

That's what I was missing. Perfect. Thank you!
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:36 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:If you password protect the DB and then minimise to tray, and then instead of running the Beta 3 cintanotes.exe file, you run another version of cintanotes.exe (I used the last stable version, which is my main install - Beta 3 being installed as portable for testing), then Beta 3 will open without requiring a password and will show you the notes.

Happy to confirm this issue from Beta 3 is resolved in 2.9 final :)

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I would suggest that the pop up box should state 'Enter old password' rather than just 'Enter password' - I was confused for a short moment as to which password CN was wanting me to enter, the old or the new.

Thanks for making this change as well, much clearer now as to what is being asked :)

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:47 am

Hm, I had another instance of a crash in CN - with no error dialog - when launching it, as I did when I updated to 2.8.6 previously:
viewtopic.php?p=9863#p9863

You were right Alex - it wasn't a one off. No idea how to reproduce it though. All I literally did was to click the CN icon to launch it. After about 10 seconds - when CN still had not opened - I checked the Windows problem reports in Control Panel. And yes, the crash was recorded there. I don't know why I don't get an error dialog or something of that nature though - it just opens and immediately (silently) crashes.

Chris

Edit: Ignore the above. I was actually still using v2.8.6, I had not updated my main install to v2.9. If this happens again with 2.9 (now that I have definitely updated), I will report back.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi Alex,

today i had several crashes running on Win 8.1. I noticed problems when deleting a note from inside its editor using Ctrl+Del. Not sure, but i think that in one occasion i had deleted the note before that from the notes list. Another time CN crashed after i was saving it with the special Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut. I can't reproduce or give more information at this point, but want to let you know.

Thomas
wiznews

Postby wiznews » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:27 am

A nasty error in CN 2.9 (it also appears in 2.9 beta 1-3), the program crashes upon the start with the following message:

Postcondition failed:
ui::SessionNotifier::SessionNotifier
::WTSRegisterSessionNotification(owner->getHwnd(), flags)
(1702)The binding handle is invalid.

It's not related to DB files and specific configuration because the same problem appears in a clean portable install as well.

Windows XP Pro SP3
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Noddy330 wrote:But it is happening to angle bracket symbols when not paired and ampersand symbols

Yes, unfortunately now it is part of the standard escaping which CintaNotes does in order to be able to use
single HTML tags for its own formatting.

Detailed explanation:
For example, when you type "foo bar baz" and format "bar" in bold in CintaNotes, to Simplenote it is uploaded as
"foo <b>bar</b> baz" (which is proper HTML/Markdown btw).
And when you sync back, you'll get "foo bar baz" where "bar" is bold.

So when you type "foo <b>bar</b> baz", CintaNotes must escape the angle brackets, in order to be able to sync them back and not treat them as it's own formatting tags. So "<" gets converted to "<<" and ">" is converted to "&gt;", and the whole phrase is uploaded as "foo <<b&gt;bar<</b&gt; baz".

(I don't exactly remember now what was the reason for escaping the & symbol, but I'm certain that there was one.)

I agree that it is ugly, and one of the ways to solve this problem would be to turn CN's formatting into a subset of Markdown upon upload (so the example phrase will become "foo **bar** baz"). But as you can imagine, that's quite a bit of work.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:51 pm

shawnkhall wrote:That's what I was missing. Perfect. Thank you!

You're welcome!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:51 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Happy to confirm this issue from Beta 3 is resolved in 2.9 final :)

Nice;)

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Thanks for making this change as well, much clearer now as to what is being asked :)

Sure, it was easy!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:52 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Edit: Ignore the above. I was actually still using v2.8.6, I had not updated my main install to v2.9. If this happens again with 2.9 (now that I have definitely updated), I will report back.

Phew, you got me sweating already ;)) Ok, let's see how 2.9 behaves!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:today i had several crashes running on Win 8.1. I noticed problems when deleting a note from inside its editor using Ctrl+Del. Not sure, but i think that in one occasion i had deleted the note before that from the notes list. Another time CN crashed after i was saving it with the special Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut. I can't reproduce or give more information at this point, but want to let you know.

Yes, the error when deleting the note in the notes list and then delting it from the editor window was never fixed. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Were the other crashes only when you worked in the editor? Were there maybe any error messages, or log files left?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 pm

wiznews wrote:A nasty error in CN 2.9 (it also appears in 2.9 beta 1-3), the program crashes upon the start with the following message:

Postcondition failed:
ui::SessionNotifier::SessionNotifier
::WTSRegisterSessionNotification(owner->getHwnd(), flags)
(1702)The binding handle is invalid.

It's not related to DB files and specific configuration because the same problem appears in a clean portable install as well.

Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks for the report! Let me guess - do you have Terminal Services disabled?
I think this crash will be easy to fix. Will let you know as soon as we make a fix.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Were the other crashes only when you worked in the editor? Were there maybe any error messages, or log files left?

Yes. Today i had another crash when i pasted some text from Outlook. Sorry, as most times no log file is created (zero bytes respectively). I don't remember having such issues with beta 3, but with the final release only.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Were the other crashes only when you worked in the editor? Were there maybe any error messages, or log files left?

Yes. Today i had another crash when i pasted some text from Outlook. Sorry, as most times no log file is created (zero bytes respectively). I don't remember having such issues with beta 3, but with the final release only.
Thomas

And none of the crashes is reproducible, I assume? :?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:37 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:

Thomas
And none of the crashes is reproducible, I assume? :?

Nope. Sorry. No time left to do my usual intensive tries.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”