Is anyone experiencing problems with the backup feature?

usbpoweredfridge

Is anyone experiencing problems with the backup feature?

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:09 am

Specifically the daily backup. I just noticed something odd in the CN data folder, and wasn't sure if it was normal or not. CN has created a Notes.daily.db file ("Notes" is the filename of my CN database), but it is zero bytes in size, and it seems it has been zero bytes in size every day for the last week or so (so it appears on the surface that CN tries to create the backup, but cannot actually complete it).

The weekly backup in comparison is also created initially as zero bytes in size, but has an associated 512 byte db-journal file created with it (the daily backup file does not have this extra file), after which it actually completes (so the weekly backup is created as Notes.weekly.db with the correct size). If I run the backup manually - File > Backup > Backup Now - there is a file created with the correct size (Notes.date&time) but the automatic daily backup seems to have an issue.

Regards,

Chris
date

Re: Is anyone experiencing problems with the backup feature?

Postby date » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am

I found a few 0 kb files in my backup folder as well, for one particular db. After opening that .db in the recent version, the backup files began filling up. Perhaps, the .db just needs more time being opened. Note the 'file changed' date in the screenshots.

I might have disabled backups for that .db, but I'm not even sure if the backup setting is a .db setting, or a general one for every .db.

2016-07-30_09-36-18.png
2016-07-30_09-36-18.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 11420 times

2016-07-30_10-59-54.png
2016-07-30_10-59-54.png (4.17 KiB) Viewed 11420 times
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Chris, date,

We have changed nothing in the backup code, so I see no reason why would backup break now.
But as always with software, anything is possible, so I better assume that you're right.
So far my attempts to repeat the problem failed. The backups are created as usual.

The only reason I can think of is that if you're running CN only for short periods of time during the day.
Then CN probably can't find the time to perform the backup.
Alex
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The only reason I can think of is that if you're running CN only for short periods of time during the day.

Most likely you are right - CN starts with Windows and running for a few hours - I don't have any problems with backups ...

Oleg
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:20 am

So, can I consider the issue resolved? date?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The only reason I can think of is that if you're running CN only for short periods of time during the day.

Hm, could be - is there a set time of day that CN attempts to run the backup, or a set time after it opens that it tries to do same? If there is some sort of regular timeframe for it to run, I can open CN, leave it open until that time, and then see if the daily backup is created, that will tell us one way or the other.

Chris

Edit: Actually, I opened CN just before making this post. Checking again - about 20 minutes later - the daily backup does appear to have run. So yes, probably a timing issue.
date

Postby date » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:38 pm

In my case, I found the 0 kb files in an archive folder. (Not my daily use copy.)
0 kb is odd, but a timing issue sounds plausible.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for your responses!
I also think this is a timing issue. The backup algorithm in CN works as follows: the first check if backup is necessary is done <backup.checkperiod.minutes> minutes after program starts (5 by default), and then regularly at the same interval.
You can try settings this to 1 to have backups be done earlier (but don't set it to 0 as it will probably make the program hang).
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”