search confusion

Bill

search confusion

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Recently I did a search for "not by" (in quotation marks), because I occasionally indicate that some article or book is not written by the person whose name is attached to it. To my surprise, CintaNotes also turned up every occurrence of "note by." What is going on here? Is CN trying to read my mind and assuming that I have mistyped "not by" for "note by"?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: search confusion

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Bill,

That's strange, with v.3.13 I can't reproduce this. Only when I remove the double quotes I get hits with "note by".

So, a few questions to clarify:
1) Do you have v3.13?
2) Which search options do you use? "Search inside words", wildcard characters, etc.
3) Are you sure you're using standard double quotes and not some fancy ones?
4) In which part of the note do the "note by" hits reside - title, text, or remarks?
Thanks!
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 pm

To answer your questions:

I am using version 3.13.

Under Options/Search, the only options I see are "Multistep Reset on Esc" and "Reset Search on Ctl+F."

Yes, I am using standard double quotes. But I notice that after I type "not by" in the search box and hit the enter key, the quotations marks disappear. Is this normal?

The "note by" phrases all appear in the text of notes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:23 am

Well, here's the answer right there: just don't press "Enter". There's no need to do that.
When you press "Enter", you're asking CN to analyze your search string for tags and if some are found, they will
get selected on the tag sidebar (and removed from the search query).
Probably there's also a bug that quotes get removed in the process. I'll look into that. But in the meantime,
simply take advantage of CN's instant search-as-you-type function and don't press Enter.
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks for the quick response, which also explains to me why I had some other related problems with the search box. It's helpful to know that I don't need to hit the return key.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 pm

My pleasure!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”