two questions about searches

Bill

two questions about searches

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Two questions:

(1) Is it possible to do a search-and-replace of text in an entire notebook or a section of a notebook?

(2) In the search menu one of the choices is "Attachments." Am I right that this allows merely the search of titles of attachments and not, say, the text of attached PDF files? If so, is there any way of searching those PDF files within CintaNotes?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: two questions about searches

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 am

Hi Bill,
sorry for delayed reply!

Bill wrote: (1) Is it possible to do a search-and-replace of text in an entire notebook or a section of a notebook?

Export to XML, search and replace there (be careful not to damage XML tags), import back. I'm afraid now its the only way.

Bill wrote:(2) In the search menu one of the choices is "Attachments." Am I right that this allows merely the search of titles of attachments and not, say, the text of attached PDF files? If so, is there any way of searching those PDF files within CintaNotes?

Yes, you're right, it searches only through the names of attachments. Seaching the contents would be a huge task (it would require separate handling of every type of attached file) and CN doesn't implement it.
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Fair enough. But I wonder about the next version? I frequently attach PDF files to notes and would very much like to be able to find text in PDFs when I search notes. I am only talking about PDFs that have already been OCR'd.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:11 am

Hi Bill,

That's possible in theory, but definitely won't be available in CN4 just yet. Also I'm a bit worried that adding to the program all the libraries that are needed to read pdfs, doc, xls and other popular formats will lead to bloat, and people who value CN for its efficiency and low profile won't be happy about that. Migrating to Qt alone will turn CN into a 30+ Mb package, this is a tough bullet to bite on itself :)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”