Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051
kunkel321

Re: Feature Requests

Postby kunkel321 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks for setting up this poll J :D
One of my votes was for "links inside notes". What I'd really like though is the ability to retain HTML.

Another idea that might be neat... Assign colors to tags(?) -steve
robert.l.spaulding@gmail.com

Search as you type within note.

Postby robert.l.spaulding@gmail.com » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Would like to see ability to search within notes. Love that the list of notes is filtered, but long notes still need to be opened and searched manually for exact text.
WikiFan

Postby WikiFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:15 pm

CamelCase for creating internal links and new notes like in TiddlyWiki.
Having that and the current functionality would suffice for me

Great Application, I wish you lots of success
itsonlyme

Postby itsonlyme » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 am

thanks for this great application
my five cents: right click menu in note edit window with the usual edit options (Copy/Cut/Paste/Undo/Select All ...)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 am

Hello itsonlyme,
thanks for your post. This is already implemented in the next version which will be released in a few days.
Regards,
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,
kunkel321 wrote:One of my votes was for "links inside notes". What I'd really like though is the ability to retain HTML.
Unfortunately this is also one of the most difficult to do, but I will.
kunkel321 wrote:Another idea that might be neat... Assign colors to tags(?) -steve
How would you go if note has two tags with different colors? Which color should be the note in this case?
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 pm

itsonlyme wrote:thanks for this great application
my five cents: right click menu in note edit window with the usual edit options (Copy/Cut/Paste/Undo/Select All ...)

I second that applying to the search field too... and, for cosmetic reasons, can you make it resize with CN main window?

Also if possible note viewing/editing dialog should remember previously set dimensions.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Midas wrote:I second that applying to the search field too...
Well, I just thought that having search mode in the context menu of the search field would be more important. But since I'm making new shortcuts (Ctrl+Up/Down like in FireFox and Alt+Down), I guess I can return the standard context menu to the input field.
Midas wrote:and, for cosmetic reasons, can you make it resize with CN main window?

I think that there will be different opinions on this one.. can anyone second?

Midas wrote:Also if possible note viewing/editing dialog should remember previously set dimensions.

Will be in Beta M6 :) If you'd like to try it right away you can download a preview from here (its just the exe file). I would be grateful for the early feedback.

Regards,
Alex
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

I just tested the M6 very briefly. I love the ctrl UP/Down to change search scope. It is fun to type in a term and switch so fast the scope and see the filtering result adjust. Nice job on the iconic representation too.

Just one tiny suggestion: I would suggest to put tags higher in the list, before time and link. I think it would be use more often for filtering than those two.

Cheers,
P.
Erik

Postby Erik » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Have a Linux version - and be able to use the same notebook files with either Windows or Linux version of the software.
(and then a Mac version - someone will ask eventually).

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:00 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hello itsonlyme,
thanks for your post. This is already implemented in the next version which will be released in a few days.
Regards,

thanks for your reply
tested the M6 preview - the context menu is fine, imho the remembered position of the input/edit window is also a great enhancement
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Midas wrote:Also if possible note viewing/editing dialog should remember previously set dimensions.

Will be in Beta M6 :) If you'd like to try it right away you can download a preview from here (its just the exe file). I would be grateful for the early feedback.

Tested, dimensions are remembered, everything else seems to work OK.

Regarding context menus, I hadn't noticed the equivalence between the LClick on the search mode icon and the RClick on the search field... but do you find that really necessary, considering their proximity? IMHO, the inclusion of key shortcuts for that effect would add more funcionality. BTW, I like the the highlighting solution implemented...

Keep up your GREAT work! :lol:
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am

Pierre wrote:I just tested the M6 very briefly. I love the ctrl UP/Down to change search scope. It is fun to type in a term and switch so fast the scope and see the filtering result adjust. Nice job on the iconic representation too.
Great, thanks a lot!
Pierre wrote:Just one tiny suggestion: I would suggest to put tags higher in the list, before time and link. I think it would be use more often for filtering than those two.
I agree, but you see that is exactly why I've put the tags last: now you can: 1) Press Ctrl+Down and hold till the end 2) Press Ctrl+PgDown to activate it. But if tags are somewhere in the middle of the list, you'll have to remember how many times to press Ctrl+Down. Or learn longer shortcuts like "Shift+F10, G".
BTW in BetaM6 you can also press Alt+Down to display the search mode menu.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 am

Erik wrote:Have a Linux version - and be able to use the same notebook files with either Windows or Linux version of the software. (and then a Mac version - someone will ask eventually).
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately CintaNotes depends heavily on WinAPI and porting it to another platform would mean rewriting it to at least 50%. This is not due to bad coding, it's just that 80% of the application is the UI. I didn't want to use cross-platform GUI libraries because I wanted full control of how the application looks and feels. Well, who knows, if CintaNotes is a huge success, then maybe I'll think about porting it. But as you see, there's still a lot to do to get to that point)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am

Midas, thanks for testing)

Midas wrote:Regarding context menus, I hadn't noticed the equivalence between the LClick on the search mode icon and the RClick on the search field... but do you find that really necessary, considering their proximity? IMHO, the inclusion of key shortcuts for that effect would add more funcionality.

Yes, maybe I've gone a little overboard with this search mode menu. Having the Alt-Down shortcut should be enough.
I'm also thinking about implementing some kind of prefixes like someone here suggested. For example putting a name into square brackets would mean a tag, and prefixing with a "!" would mean title, "@" for link and "#" for time (the exact symbols used it not the point here). Also now you can't search for notes that have _any_ tag, or for untagged notes. I think of enabling that with special treatment for single '+' and '-' characters in the search box.
So to find all untagged notes, you enter [-]. And to find all notes that have a link you enter @+.
And of course it all should be configurable in the program options.
Well, just an idea)

Midas wrote:BTW, I like the the highlighting solution implemented...

What exactly do you mean? Search highlighting is not new in Beta M6..
Alex
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:but you see that is exactly why I've put the tags last: now you can: 1) Press Ctrl+Down and hold till the end 2) Press Ctrl+PgDown to activate it.

oooohh ... smart! yes that's good. I suggest you document it as a tip in the help file once released.
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Prefixing search looks good, but you should remember that you''ll need either a unambiguous syntax (maybe <prefix><space><search string>) or a way for escaping reserved prefix characters (in order to allow for searches that include them, and my prefered solution).

On highlighting: I just noticed it, which proves that I am not a 100% reliable tester (another one for the 'wisdom of crowds'). :oops:

I read your answer to Pierre, but couldn't fathom the difference between Down Arrow and Ctrl+Down Arrow. Care to elaborate?

I want to state also, that as much as I like Linux (I use Ubuntu, Slax and Zenwalk in my leisure), I totally understand you position toward developing CN multiplatform.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Pierre wrote:I suggest you document it as a tip in the help file once released.
I sure will!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Midas wrote:Prefixing search looks good, but you should remember that you''ll need either a unambiguous syntax (maybe <prefix><space><search string>) or a way for escaping reserved prefix characters (in order to allow for searches that include them, and my prefered solution).
Well, one way to escape these characters would be to double them. The other is having the ' prefix for verbatim search strings.
Midas wrote:I read your answer to Pierre, but couldn't fathom the difference between Down Arrow and Ctrl+Down Arrow. Care to elaborate?
Sure. When you press Ctrl+Down, you switch to the next search mode (go from searching "Anywhere" to "Text and Title", and further down). When you press the single Down key, CintaNotes assumes you are done with entering the search term and want to browse the search results, so it puts the focus to the notes list.
Midas wrote:I want to state also, that as much as I like Linux (I use Ubuntu, Slax and Zenwalk in my leisure), I totally understand you position toward developing CN multiplatform.
Thanks. I think I better develop a killer app for one platform than a mediocre multiplatform EverNote clone.
Alex
sinclair1952

Postby sinclair1952 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks for your time and thought in developing CintaNotes. This could be the best thing going!

Three requests, all discussed before, but crucial if CintaNotes is to become widely used and usable by most people. I'm assuming that's your goal: creating THE Great Note App.

Of course you must balance features vs bloat and complexity.

1.) Edit Box text size option. Edit box text is way too small for many with vision problems. Increasing the Message Box text size in Windows XP Display Properties Advanced Apperance dialog has no effect.

2.) Why not just eliminate the Edit Box and type notes directly in note body area? This shaves my three requests down to two.

3.) URLs visible and clickable in note body Clearly visible, meaning blue or colored. If CintaNotes users save their web bookmarks, then the URLs must show up in the notes, since not all notes will have URLs.

FYI like so many, I take extensive notes both on and offline; notetaking has been a large part of my PC experience, so I know what is needed and what works.

I've never much used browser bookmarks for obvious reasons. Way back in Windows 3.11 I used a note app similar in ways to CintaNotes (name forgotten). It was my number one most useful "use-every-day" program.

I own EverNotes. Loved the idea at first, but I never use it... maybe because it's too bloated, complicated, cumbersome, etc.

What do I use right now? After many years of trying various bookmark and note schemes?

Metapad!
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/
Not being developed, w/ only one minor change since 2002.

Why do I use Metapad? It offers "transparent" convenience and ease of use, with a useful set of "Preference" options, making a simple editor the best note taker ever.

From what I see, CintaNotes would be even more useful than MetaPad if you make the changes requested above.

Since I actually only made two requests above, here's a third.

3.) Option to open (switch between) several "Favorite" notebook.dat files. Make it a main menu item and let people name the files whatever they want to in the list, regardless of the file's actual name. If you've never examined Metapad, please check it out, like I said, it's no longer under development and includes many useful features, all in a 96Kb footprint!

Regards

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”