Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051
Midas

Re: Feature Requests

Postby Midas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Regression Alert :!:

Contrary to my previous comment, I had to revert to CN M5, because the later 2 versions (M5.1 & M6p) stoped working with K-Meleon 1.5, my default web browser... :cry:

I recall reading somewhere that you had changed the way the clipping was done, and maybe this was the reason one of them only gets note title and another just gets all fields empty.

@sinclair1952: I know and used Metapad for a while (as an heavy text file user, never could satisfy myself with windows default notepad) before abandoning it for lack of development. My current favorites in that area are Win32Pad (my current default), Editor2 (best all around, but refuses to auto-add file extensions, and is free but bundled with xplorer2), Notepad2 (extremely flexible, but doesn't do url activation), & TedNotepad (my would be next default, but for a poor choice of menu and hotkey disposition, and for the arrested developement) -- in case you'r wondering I keep a special folder only for this kind of app. Hope it helps...
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Replying to Sinclair:
Edit Box text size option. Edit box text is way too small for many with vision problems. Increasing the Message Box text size in Windows XP Display Properties Advanced Apperance dialog has no effect.

You can change it in View > Note Appearance

Why not just eliminate the Edit Box and type notes directly in note body area?

I tend to disagree. On the contrary I think most users would like to be able to have several notes opened simultaneously.

Links and multiple files switching I would like too.

Note for transparency there are many external apps that could make CintaNotes transparent by some %.

P.
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Midas wrote:Regression Alert :!:
Contrary to my previous comment, I had to revert to CN M5, because the later 2 versions (M5.1 & M6p) stoped working with K-Meleon 1.5, my default web browser...

Problem solved with new Beta M6 version. No worries... 8-)

Feature Request: Toggle minimize/restore via tray icon.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi,

I would like CintaNotes to toggle minimize/restore when I click on the CintaNotes tray icon.

This would give me the abillity to have a quick look at my notes and minimize it a gain by clicking on the tray icon.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Eddy
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Toggle minimize/restore via tray icon.

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Guest wrote:I would like CintaNotes to toggle minimize/restore when I click on the CintaNotes tray icon.

Brilliant idea, how come I didn't think of that myself? Will do it in the next version! Thanks
Alex

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi,

Some more suggestions that come to mind:

* Encrypted notebook.dat file.
* Optional day of the week and week number added to the note (example: Week 6, Thursday, 2/5/2009 15:50)
* Make date and/or time shown optional.
* Change date and hour format (DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY, or YYYYMMDD)

Cheers,

Eddy
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:21 am

Hi Eddy,

Guest wrote:Some more suggestions that come to mind:

thank you very much for the suggestions!

>* Encrypted notebook.dat file.
Is already on the roadmap, but most probably will appear in the commercial version of the program. But please don't despair since anyone who helped CintaNotes while it was in Beta will get commercial version for free (you just need to be registered on the forum).

>* Optional day of the week and week number added to the note (example: Week 6, Thursday, 2/5/2009 15:50)
>* Make date and/or time shown optional.
>* Change date and hour format (DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY, or YYYYMMDD)

Good ideas, I've put them on the roadmap.
Alex
eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Is already on the roadmap, but most probably will appear in the commercial version of the program. But please don't despair since anyone who helped CintaNotes while it was in Beta will get commercial version for free (you just need to be registered on the forum).

That's a good enough reason to register. Just did. Thanks!

Cheers,

Eddy
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Eddy,

>* Encrypted notebook.dat file.
Is already on the roadmap, but most probably will appear in the commercial version of the program. But please don't despair since anyone who helped CintaNotes while it was in Beta will get commercial version for free (you just need to be registered on the forum).

While I like the idea of an encrypted file it should be optional on selected notebook files. I am concerned about accessing the file years later when I can't get older software to install on a new OS. It's been something of a chore for me to continue moving data from system to system over the past 25 years and I now tend to use simple ascii text or xml files if I need formatting for most everything...
-Todd
ccloao

Postby ccloao » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Hi!
Just another feature request:
Would it be possible to add an option to hide the vertical scrollbar?
This way we could have a little more window space.

Another suggestion is about the tags:
It would be very cool if we could add/remove tags directly on the notes!

Thanks
Aquilai

Postby Aquilai » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:52 am

Hello

Firstly to get it out of the way, great app! I've tried many note taking software before and this one is unique because of it's instant search and tagging. I also use "stickies" for my instant on the desktop notes and alarm/timer purposes so in my opinion CintaNotes is the equivalent to a wiki for taking notes. I like the GUI it's simple and straight to the point easy for searching what you want. It might be helpful to have small icons on the corner of each note in the main search window so you could keep on top (or some position), expand (open more than say 15 lines), delete.

I was quite surprised that there wasn't any import feature at all! The feature request I'm adding here is more of a "in-more-depth" request about imports really. Usually I write notes with many many different topics so I'd like an import that will open a whole notebook that I can choose to filter which notes to import using checkboxes.
For example I could have a notebook with cooking recipes and I might have tags [desserts] [pastry] [pasta]... and I could filter:
'Contains:"Cooking time: 0.5 hours" & [desserts] & [pastry] & notes_created_before_01/01/09'
then tick the boxes to import those notes.

It has been mentioned before so I'll just comment on reinforcing the idea that for some notes there should be encryption whilst others in the same notebook could still be visible for all. Actually on the same line of thought there should be "hidden" notes where to search for these notes you would have to include a password at the end of the search eg. "My_Scifi_Novel [password]" this would reveal the notes hidden by a similar password.
This is assuming that only one user uses this if there is more than one user I suppose they'd have to be more careful about their password or an extra parameter could be written so that the search would be: "My_Scifi_Novel [user] [password]" although this would be the equivalent of having two passwords.

I realise after the end of writing this that actually this is a long post! Thanks for reading!

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Great app. Simple yet Unique and really useful. Keep up the good work!
behnam

Postby behnam » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 pm

How about:

- Tagging by colour? Sort-of like Outlook categories
- Ink support (for tablet pc devices)
eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 am

Some more nice features would be:
- Sticky notes that stay on top of the list,
- Set default tags so you can select them from a dropdown list,
- Colorize the notes when default tags are used,
- The ability to show only notes for a selected tag and hide the rest,
- Hide notes, for example when they are no longer relevent,
- Mark importance: High, Low,
- Make features optional (see text below).

I see a lot of feature requests. I think that this is great, but by building all these features into CintaNotes I am afraid that it will become to complex for everyday usage. Therefor I would like all features (except for some basic features) to become optional. What I mean with this is, create a feature list with select/mark boxes behind it where you can select the features you use and they will become available to you for everyday usage in for example normal mode. The rest is hidden and removed from the menu, interface etc. Create another mode, for example expert mode which makes all features availabe again with a single click (from the menu), but when you don't need them anymore, you can switch back to normal mode which again shows only the features you selected.
This will keep CintaNotes simple, flexible, customizable and a perfect fit to what you use it for.
This would also give you the possibility to show options that can only be selected in the commercial version and are grayed out in the non-commercial version.

Keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Eddy
danei

Postby danei » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:09 am

other Feature Requests:
1) sorting notes with drag&drop, even in search mod.
2) capture hyperlinks & anchors in web page.
3) using hotkey+click to save images to attachment, & ability to insert images in note. I don't need other rich formating except image&hyperlink who carry infomation. Maybe it's a little difficult to apply in opera because opera doesn't surpport rich text copy&paste.
4) delete empty lines automaticly.

Cintanotes is almost close to my ideal notes app. I have drop opera note and start using it instead.
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:28 pm

eddy wrote:Some more nice features would be:

I see a lot of feature requests. I think that this is great, but by building all these features into CintaNotes I am afraid that it will become to complex for everyday usage. Therefor I would like all features (except for some basic features) to become optional.

Eddy

I would second this. CintaNotes is 97% perfect for nearly everything I am using it for and I think many of us really like it because it is fast and simple. Making it perfect for me isn't the same as for someone else, and so selecting optional features is important. Maybe some new features could even become an optional "extension" instead of being part of the base program.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:30 pm

it has a lot of potential. i like the "lightweight" character of your programm.

Features i would like to see:
- better tag management
autofill already used tags (must have feature), tag labels on the side to click on

-linking data
Have your ever heard of wikidpad? The best thing about this programm is the easy way of linking infos using wikiwords.
Hansys

Postby Hansys » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:27 am

Now that i'm registered i just wanted to add to my previous post as guest that i didn't mean autofill, but autosuggest alreday used tags during writing.

Edit:
Command line support would be great. Create new entries without maximizing the programm. Something like -note \hide "text=,tags="
kranor

Postby kranor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Alex
I would like to have the ability to drag and drop notes into a different order. This will enable grouping either by date not created(default) or by importance. As an alternative have the first three note positions protected from auto assignment and allow user defined notes only to use these positions. Anyway something like that.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi,

If I click a existing note, it opens for editing with the cursor is in the header/subject field. Since the note is not new, it is more likely that you want to edit the body/notes field. So I think it would be better if the cursor would be at the end of the text of the body/notes field.

Cheers,

Eddy

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”