Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051

Re: Feature Requests

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi all,

First, great app. Nuff said there.

I read through all of the feature requests and here are a couple of new ones and/or support for existing requests.

1 - Be able to export a single note. My use case is that I create tabs all day in Firefox and then go through them and save out the data for the ones worth keeping, such as recipes and code samples. It would be nice to then save out the notes to individual files instead of one big text file or XML document.

2 - multiple Notes files. As in the #1 above, I will go through web pages and it would be great to gather recipes in one file, code samples in another file, a conference in another file, etc.

Thanks and I'll go register now.
Piorel

Postby Piorel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 am

Please make posible this feature: dragging/moving notes up and down in order to set priority. Thanks.
Midas

Postby Midas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Another useful feature that ocurred to me just now would be some kind of interface for referencing CN notes from elsewhere (shortcuts, other apps, whatever). To make myself clearer: if CN is intalled, make it handle cintanotes::[noteID] for an individual note or cintanotes::[term] for a search -- if using CN in portable mode, then path to exe would have to be declared, like this a:\PortableAPPS\CintaNotes.exe::[noteID]... :geek:

It would be even better if CN could detect drag'n'drop and create such links automagically.

I'm using CN furiously, so this kind of reveries just happen all the time... :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
eddy

Re: Feature Request: Toggle minimize/restore via tray icon.

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Guest wrote:I would like CintaNotes to toggle minimize/restore when I click on the CintaNotes tray icon.

Brilliant idea, how come I didn't think of that myself? Will do it in the next version! Thanks

I did not see it in the new features list, but I noticed that it is indeed included in the latest release M7.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Eddy
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Toggle minimize/restore via tray icon.

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:40 am

eddy wrote:I did not see it in the new features list, but I noticed that it is indeed included in the latest release M7.

Yes, I forgot to mention it, but it's there)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 am

Piorel wrote:Please make posible this feature: dragging/moving notes up and down in order to set priority. Thanks.

Thank you for this feedback!
Well, not exactly "dragging", but now you can move notes up/down using Alt+Up/Down keys. In the next version I'm going to add
Alt+Home/End and context menu entries for these commands.
Does it fit the bill for you?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:51 am

Hello Guest,

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for your feedback!

Guest wrote:1 - Be able to export a single note. My use case is that I create tabs all day in Firefox and then go through them and save out the data for the ones worth keeping, such as recipes and code samples. It would be nice to then save out the notes to individual files instead of one big text file or XML document.

Will be in the next version Beta M8, coming out March 15.

Guest wrote:2 - multiple Notes files. As in the #1 above, I will go through web pages and it would be great to gather recipes in one file, code samples in another file, a conference in another file, etc.

This is also already on the roadmap, with high priority. But can't tell you which version will support this. I guess I'll be doing it gradually: first enabling to customize the path to notebook file, then have a list of recently used files, then integrate it into UI (combo-box of notebooks)...
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 am

toddclausen wrote:While I like the idea of an encrypted file it should be optional on selected notebook files. I am concerned about accessing the file years later when I can't get older software to install on a new OS. It's been something of a chore for me to continue moving data from system to system over the past 25 years and I now tend to use simple ascii text or xml files if I need formatting for most everything...

Don't worry, of course the encryption will be optional! )
Alex
mgainer007

Postby mgainer007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 am

I'm really liking your app. Great job.

There's one feature that would make this a really useful application for me.

Have the ability to associate a custom note field with a hot key. The idea would be whenever the hot key was pressed your application would search the currently highlighted note for the custom field and then copy the contents to the clipboard. The custom note text could look something like this, FieldName::<<Text to copy to clipboard>>.

An example note text body might look something like this:

================================
Some note text...

Username::<<John Doe>>
Password::<<pa$$word>>

some more note text
================================

You could provide a half dozen or so predefined hot keys where we would fill in the custom field name.

Mike
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 am

Hello ccloao,

ccloao wrote:Would it be possible to add an option to hide the vertical scrollbar?
This way we could have a little more window space.

Yes I guess it is possible. I'll put it on the roadmap.

ccloao wrote:It would be very cool if we could add/remove tags directly on the notes!

Well now you can press F4. After tag sidebar is there, I'll see if can make the notes list more interactive..

Thanks for your suggestions and hope you'll enjoy using CN.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am

Hello Aquilai,

thanks a lot for your post, sorry it took me so long to get to you..

Aquilai wrote:It might be helpful to have small icons on the corner of each note in the main search window so you could keep on top (or some position), expand (open more than say 15 lines), delete.
Yes I'm going to make notes list more interactive.
Aquilai wrote:I was quite surprised that there wasn't any import feature at all!
Well now there is)
Aquilai wrote:The feature request I'm adding here is more of a "in-more-depth" request about imports really. Usually I write notes with many many different topics so I'd like an import that will open a whole notebook that I can choose to filter which notes to import using checkboxes. For example I could have a notebook with cooking recipes and I might have tags [desserts] [pastry] [pasta]... and I could filter: 'Contains:"Cooking time: 0.5 hours" & [desserts] & [pastry] & notes_created_before_01/01/09'
then tick the boxes to import those notes.
I'm going to add possibility to tag imported notes. After that you will be able to search for these tags and delete the notes you don't need. This + more powerful search is much easier to do as compared to a separate dialog with an extra check-boxed notes list.
Aquilai wrote:It has been mentioned before so I'll just comment on reinforcing the idea that for some notes there should be encryption whilst others in the same notebook could still be visible for all. Actually on the same line of thought there should be "hidden" notes where to search for these notes you would have to include a password at the end of the search eg. "My_Scifi_Novel [password]" this would reveal the notes hidden by a similar password.
This is an interesting idea, thanks. I'll give it a thought.

Thanks for your input!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

Hello behnam,

behnam wrote:How about:- Tagging by colour? Sort-of like Outlook categories

I've thought about this, and couldn't get around this problem: say you have two colored tags, and both get assigned to a note. Which color should be the note then? I guess I'll leave colors to sections (tabs).

- Ink support (for tablet pc devices)
That would be a problem since I don't have access to any TabletPC. I guess there should exist plenty of programs which add Ink support to other programs which use standard controls. Or did you mean something else?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:39 am

Hi eddy,

sorry it took me so long to get to this message!

eddy wrote:- Sticky notes that stay on top of the list,

Which is the problem they are solving here?
eddy wrote:- Set default tags so you can select them from a dropdown list,

Tag autocomplete is already in development)
eddy wrote:- Colorize the notes when default tags are used,

See above what I've written about colors.
eddy wrote:- The ability to show only notes for a selected tag and hide the rest,

Tag sidebar on the way.
eddy wrote:- Hide notes, for example when they are no longer relevent,

Could you describe the UI here?
eddy wrote:- Mark importance: High, Low,

I guess tags can also be used for this, we just need to provide convenient UI.
eddy wrote:- Make features optional (see text below).

I'll do my best here, the motto being like in C++ - you' shouldn't pay for what you're not using.

Thanks for your input Eddy, hope you'll enjoy CN in future as well)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:45 am

Hello danei,
sorry for the delay in answer!

>1) sorting notes with drag&drop, even in search mod.

In BetaM7 you can use Alt+Up/Down. I'll make it more polished in next versions. Drag& drop would be more difficult to do, but I guess I'll get to it sooner or later, too.

>2) capture hyperlinks & anchors in web page.

Already in plans.

>3) using hotkey+click to save images to attachment, & ability to insert images in note. I don't need other rich formating except image&hyperlink who carry infomation. Maybe it's a little difficult to apply in opera because opera doesn't surpport rich text copy&paste.

Also on the roadmap already.

>4) delete empty lines automaticly.

What if they are used for text layout?

Thanks for your input and hope you won't regret migrating to CN from Opera notes)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:07 pm

toddclausen wrote:I would second this. CintaNotes is 97% perfect for nearly everything I am using it for and I think many of us really like it because it is fast and simple. Making it perfect for me isn't the same as for someone else, and so selecting optional features is important. Maybe some new features could even become an optional "extension" instead of being part of the base program.

Well, right now I've defined a set of features which I consider absolutely essential for CintaNotes free edition:

- tag autocomplete, sidebar and picker
- tabs (sections) on top (or bottom) with drag-and-drop support
- multiple notebooks
- links inside notes
- note sorting and reordering
- search wildcards ? and *, search alternates with |
- undo/redo
- note recycle bin
- multi-lingual UI
- more interactive notes list

Less essential features are:
- opening multiple note windows and in-place editing;
- check for new versions command;
- printing notes (yes, you can always print from notepad, but..)

The features I plan for commercial version are:
- Images and files attachments
- Browse notes by source application, by link
- Subsection tabs on the right side, like in OneNote (optional, per-section, off by default)
- Regular expressions search
- Saved searches
- Basic formatting
- Rule-based autotagging
- Calendar pane - clicking and dragging selects a time period
- Parameterized tags (like rating:5 or price:1200) with search support
- Alarms in notes
- Auto merging
- Encryption

As you see, there's quite a bunch of features here. I don't know if I manage to get all of them implemented. But I assure you that those of them which I don't consider essential and organic for CintaNotes will be turned off by default.
Alex
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well, right now I've defined a set of features which I consider absolutely essential for CintaNotes free edition:

Looks great to me, I wouldn't now add anything </bloat!>

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The features I plan for commercial version are:
- Regular expressions search
- Basic formatting

Great! These will make CintaNotes nearly perfect for me!

CintaNotes Developer wrote:- Parameterized tags (like rating:5 or price:1200) with search support

another excellent feature that will be useful for those of us using CintaNotes for prioritizing our Todo lists as well as any number of other things!
Last edited by toddclausen on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Todd
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:07 pm

I've recently been thinking a note archiving feature would be useful. This could be implemented as a special notebook when multiple notebook support is added. The idea is to move really old or seldom used notes to an archive. An example is when using CintaNotes for a Todo list, or for research projects. A check box could be added to the note editor view, or a special tag used to move the note to the archive notebook when no longer needed or the task is complete. This would keep the working notebook small, but allow search if I wanted to see what I had completed in the past. Haven't really thought out all of the details yet...
Last edited by toddclausen on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Todd

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 am

Hi!

Nice App! As an notes power user i'd request the following features:

- Custom sorting with drag and drop, by title, date, etc.
- Custom coloring of single notes for fast and intuitive recognition - Maybe on a category basis:
- Note categories maybe with tabs

Greets from Salzburg!

Johannes

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:30 pm

i also want to add images, will it be possbile ??
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Guest wrote:i also want to add images, will it be possbile ??

See the feature list from the developer above, and quoted below:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:The features I plan for commercial version are:
- Images and files attachments
-Todd

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”