Ctrl+Enter on empty search box

Thomas Lohrum

Ctrl+Enter on empty search box

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

Ctrl+Enter accepts the current search text as a tag filter. However, when the search text is empty, the current note will be opened. I suggest to use Ctrl+Enter on an empty search text to make "untagged" the current tag filter. Currently there is no other way to select "untagged". I use untagged for my current "in work/in progress" notes. To me this would make much sense.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+Enter on empty search box

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Thomas!
This is a good idea, I just need a bit of clarification:
Ctrl+Enter opens the note only if the focus is in the notes list.
If the focus is in the search bar, it "resets" the filter (scrolls to the first note in the list).

There already exist plans to use Ctrl+Enter in the notes list for the "paste focused note into last active app" feature.
However, if the focus is in the search bar, we are free to use Ctrl+Enter to select "Untagged", and I think it would be perfectly aligned with behavior of Ctrl+Enter when search bar is not empty.

But you would have to press Ctrl+F first to focus the search bar, and then press Ctrl+Enter to view untagged notes. Would that be convenient for you, or would it be better to come up with a special shortcut for this? Thanks
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Ctrl+Enter opens the note only if the focus is in the notes list.
Yes. Ok.
If the focus is in the search bar, it "resets" the filter (scrolls to the first note in the list).
I personally never use this behaviour. I always press ESC to clear the filter.
There already exist plans to use Ctrl+Enter in the notes list for the "paste focused note into last active app" feature.
The considered change would not conflict with this request.
However, if the focus is in the search bar, we are free to use Ctrl+Enter to select "Untagged", and I think it would be perfectly aligned with behavior of Ctrl+Enter when search bar is not empty.
So do i :)
But you would have to press Ctrl+F first to focus the search bar, and then press Ctrl+Enter to view untagged notes. Would that be convenient for you
Absolutely no problem. As said, i simply press ESC to focus the search bar. No problem. That would be convenient.
would it be better to come up with a special shortcut for this?
No need for a special shortcut.

Thank's for considering my suggestions.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:As said, i simply press ESC to focus the search bar.

Hmm.. does it work this way really? I'm afraid we are putting different meaning into "search bar".
I mean the edit box with a magnifying glass. Probably would be better to call it "search box".
Esc resets the search, but doesn't focus the search box. You will have to press Ctrl+F, or
click inside the search box.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes, we are talking about the search box. ESC will function only, when a filter is activated. That's ok. However, when i activate CintaNotes with the system shortcut the focus is on the last edited note. Thus i would first have to focus the search box. You are right. The question to me is, whether it makes sense to focus the search box by default when CN pop's up. I usually do a search first. To focus the last edited note might be a good choice in some circumstances or for other users. No easy decision. But for the start it would be ok to first press Ctrl+F to focus the search box and then press Ctrl+Enter to select "untagged".

Thomas

Return to “Bug Reports”