Disappearing systray icon on Windows 7

yereverluvinuncleber

Disappearing systray icon on Windows 7

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Disappearing systray icon on Windows 7 64bit - yup that's it in a nutshell. I didn't do anything special or unusual, no changes to prefs ever. it just disappeared and it stays that way. Cintanotes is still running, I just can't access it from the systray. This happens regularly but not all the time.

Any ideas?
gunars

Re: Disappearing systray icon on Windows 7

Postby gunars » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Is it also missing from the hidden icons? At the left of the systray, press the up-triangle. If you see it there, select Customize and set the entry for CintaNotes to "Show icon and notifications".
date

Postby date » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm

'Running' means the CN window is visible and operating on the screen?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 am

+1 to questions from Gunars and date
Alex
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 pm

No. Cintanotes process is running. That's it. I can raise a Cintanote at anytime using the key combo so it is definitely running.

If I start a new instance of Cintanotes, it tells me it is already present on the o/s but there is no icon in the systray as you would expect if it was 'running'.

Normally, and often, it exists there in the systray and clicking on it will raise the application but not for the moment. No changes to configuration to make it disappear, in fact no changes to cintanotes configuration since I installed it many months ago. Sometimes it has a systray icon sometimes it does not. After an upgrade installation it will appear again and yet after a while it will disappear.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 pm

gunars wrote:Is it also missing from the hidden icons? At the left of the systray, press the up-triangle. If you see it there, select Customize and set the entry for CintaNotes to "Show icon and notifications".

This is Windows 7 - the systray has no up arrow as per Win10 as the whole systray is visible all the time.
gunars

Postby gunars » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 am

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
gunars wrote:Is it also missing from the hidden icons? At the left of the systray, press the up-triangle. If you see it there, select Customize and set the entry for CintaNotes to "Show icon and notifications".

This is Windows 7 - the systray has no up arrow as per Win10 as the whole systray is visible all the time.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. I thought you said you were running Win7. All of my Win7 systems certainly have an up arrow, if necessary:

systray.png
systray.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 39513 times
date

Postby date » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am

Guy with the same problem and possible solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 7itproperf
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am

Oh well. You learn something every day. My Win7 systems all have a discrete unbundled taskbar as all my systems have from day one just as per XP (all systems upgraded from XP - Vista - win7:

All the systems are using the classic theme so perhaps that is why.

Anyway, you'll see no cintanotes systray icon but I can easily re-add it by upgrading to the latest version, it will re-appear for a while then it may/may not stop being visible at some point in time (whilst it is still running).
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 am

date wrote:Guy with the same problem and possible solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 7itproperf

Very useful - when it next occurs I will attempt that fix.
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 pm

After a system suspend/wake up I find the icon is gone (again). I tried rebuilding the cache using Winaero tweaker but to no avail, it is still missing and a reboot is required after which I am sure to get it back until it disappears again.
date

Postby date » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 pm

So after a full boot the icon is there, and it disappears _while_ the system is running? The notebook has a password?

Return to “Bug Reports”