Sync problem (Dropbox)

RStroud

Sync problem (Dropbox)

Postby RStroud » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:17 pm

DESKTOP: Windows 10 Home (most current version; updates are installed automatically). Machine is a Hewlett-Packard All in One.
LAPTOP: Windows 7 Professional (most current version; updates are installed automatically). Machine is a Dell Latitude.
Both computers have the most up-to-date version of CintaNotes (3.12 Pro/Lifetime).

I am a longtime user of CintaNotes. It is one of my "indispensable" applications. In the last two or three weeks I have seen a problem on both of the computers that I mentioned above.

In short, here is what appears to be happening. I will present this in a sequence:

* I add a CintaNotes note to database "A" on one of the computers (either one of them).

* When I later (maybe the next day) use the OTHER computer, Dropbox does not sync database "A". The Dropbox icon keeps displaying a message "Can't sync A ... Permission denied." This appears to be an unchanging situation, even after MANY minutes.

* I have learned a way to make the sync occur. I open database "B" or "C" or whatever. After about a minute, "A" will finally sync. It does not appear to be necessary to CLOSE "A" to make it sync. I just have to switch to one of the other databases.

Any ideas about this?
rolandraystroud@gmail.com
RStroud

Re: Sync problem (Dropbox)

Postby RStroud » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:14 pm

So no one has any ideas about this?

It is definitely a new problem. I have used CintaNotes (with sync through Dropbox) for years. I never had this problem until several weeks ago.

I can live with the problem, because I can work around it. I just have to use the technique that I described above.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello Roland,
Do you have auto-disconnect enabled in cintanotes.settings? (notebook.disconnect param)
Alex
RStroud

Postby RStroud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:19 am

Yes, it appears to be enabled. See below:

notebook.disconnect.enabled = 1

Should I give it a value of 0 ?

I have never changed that parameter.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:36 am

No, it should be 1 for the Dropbox sync to work.
You might want to adjust the notebook.disconnect.timeout.seconds parameter so that CintaNotes releases the file handle sooner.
Also could you please check if the same problem exists with a fresh-new notebook?
Thanks
Alex
RStroud

Postby RStroud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:24 am

I will follow your suggestions and will let you know the result.

The timeout was set at 30 seconds. I did not know how much to reduce it, so I am trying 10 seconds.

I have also opened a new notebook and have put a note into it. I will see how it works. It is 04:30 hours here, so it will be a while before I can complete this experiment. But I will definitely let you know.

Thanks!
RStroud

Postby RStroud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 am

The timeout was set at 30 seconds. I did not know how much to reduce it, so I am trying 10 seconds.

I have also opened a new notebook and have put a note into it. I will see how it works.

I tried the suggestions above. They did not work. In fact, the timeout reset itself to 30 seconds when I rebooted.

However, I think I have a workaround (I have only tried it a couple of times).

I tried turning off the option to make CintaNotes load at system startup. That seems to be working. I just wait for Dropbox to finish updating, and then I manually start CintaNotes. It is not a great inconvenience. I just hope that it continues to be a reliable workaround.
RStroud

Postby RStroud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I thought I would give some followup on the sync issue (with Dropbox) that I mentioned earlier.

My workaround is valid. As long as I do not set the option to load CintaNotes automatically at system startup, my CintaNotes database syncs just fine in Dropbox. I just have to start CintaNotes manually when I am ready to use it. It is a bit of an inconvenience, but certainly one that I can live with.

It is strange that this never happened before, and I have been using CintaNotes for years.

I suspect that Dropbox (which updates its versions frequently) did something to mess things up.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm

RStroud wrote:In fact, the timeout reset itself to 30 seconds when I rebooted.

Probably you didn't exit CN prior to editing the file, and when CN exited it overwrote the setting.

I tried turning off the option to make CintaNotes load at system startup. That seems to be working. I just wait for Dropbox to finish updating, and then I manually start CintaNotes. It is not a great inconvenience. I just hope that it continues to be a reliable workaround.

Great that you've found a workaround. I'll look into what can be done to fix this. As I understand migrating from Dropbox to other service is not an option.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”