Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 am

eddy wrote:Hi,
I would really like to see sorting added.
A new note is currently stored all the way at the bottom of the notes list, so when I want to read my latest note(s), I have to scroll all the way down. I would rather see the latest notes added to the top of the list and the list sorted by date in reverse order so the newest notes are stored on top and the oldest at the bottom.
Or at least give the option to make the notes list automatically jump to the latest note.

In Beta M8, there will be an option to "Put new notes on top", which should suit your needs.
Arbitrary note sorting is also on the roadmap, but will come later.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 am

mgainer007 wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:As much as I hate turning people away from CintaNotes, there really are cases when other software is a better fit.

I like CintaNotes so well, that I decided to write my own AutoHotKey script to perform automated logins using CintaNote text copied to the clipboard. I'll need to use this approach for a week or so, but so far it seems to work just as well or better than any other solution I've tried.

Wow, that's great! Thanks for staying with CN ;)
It would be nice if you could upload your script here, maybe other CN users will find it useful, too.
Alex

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 pm

I love CN!!!

For anybody's interest: I use Win-A for new notes, and Win-Z for the notes window...

Here's some of my tagging tips... ! for urgent, <> for todos, <x> for completed todos (I used to use [] but they are harder to hit on the keyboard), #1, #2, for priority, r/ for archiving p/ for projects, @ for contexts, s/ for status, rp/ for archived projects, . (period) for next action

And for something really cool...I use Stroke-It (highlighted on LifeHacker) and made a mouse stroke to simulate Copying, and Cntl-F12 for automatic copying to CN. So if I'm reading something anywhere on the screen (in a browser or any other program) I just highlight, do a down-left stroke with the right mouse button, and instantly CN has captured the text... so cool, so fast. Which brings me to my urgent request. Can we please have a "default tag" so that when snippets are grabbed, those snippets are automatically tagged with some predetermined tag? For me, I follow GTD principles...and I would want a default tag to be "inbox" so that when I search for "inbox" in the tags...instantly my inbox comes up and I triage them from there. As is, I have to find the notes I added through the automatic process manually which slows down my triage and GTD process to a crawl.

Some requests (including the one above):
1) Please keep it simple
2) Default tags (above)
3) Sorting (by date)
4) multiple note windows open (for copying between them)
5) repeating notes (a la alarms, and repeating todos)
6) Alarms

Thanks so much for CN... I use it everyday all day. It is my to-do-list, my GTD system, and my knowledge base. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
luckman212

Postby luckman212 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:17 pm

my suggestions:

1) in-line note editing - Instead of dbl-clicking to edit it would be quite convenient to be able to edit directly inside of the note list.

2) menu option to 'insert current date' or 'insert current time' -- since I title all my notes as today's date, it would be a time saver to be able to quickly pop in the current date when adding a new note. Hey, here's another idea, what about an option to automatically set the title of newly added notes to the current date?
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:23 pm

luckman212 wrote:2) menu option to 'insert current date' or 'insert current time' -- since I title all my notes as today's date, it would be a time saver to be able to quickly pop in the current date when adding a new note. Hey, here's another idea, what about an option to automatically set the title of newly added notes to the current date?

CintaNotes already Date/Time stamps the note - how about not adding a title at all then the date (and time) is all that will appear on the right side of the title bar?
-Todd
luckman212

Postby luckman212 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 pm

That sounds perfect!
david_c

Postby david_c » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:16 pm

The extra step involved in having the user fill out a title in the titlebar, then pressing the down arrow key to get into the body of the note could be avoided by eliminating the titlebar altogether.
The first line of text could then be used to show up in the title along with the date.
sttrebo

Postby sttrebo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Are there any thoughts of PDA compatibility/syncing? Windows Mobile or Palm (yes I know it's a dying platform)? If not, do you have a specification available for the notes database format?

thanks
steve
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

david_c wrote:The extra step involved in having the user fill out a title in the titlebar, then pressing the down arrow key to get into the body of the note could be avoided by eliminating the titlebar altogether.
The first line of text could then be used to show up in the title along with the date.

I like the suggestion of using the first line of the note as the title
Nod
luckman212

Postby luckman212 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:08 pm

I would prefer if the option to 'use first line of note as title' was user-selectable... because in my case I would much prefer it if CintaNotes just displayed the create date as the title when no title is entered.
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Noddy330 wrote:
david_c wrote:The extra step involved in having the user fill out a title in the titlebar, then pressing the down arrow key to get into the body of the note could be avoided by eliminating the titlebar altogether.
Nod

Me 2! :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Midas wrote:
Noddy330 wrote:
Nod

Me 2! :mrgreen:

Add my vote to the list, I'm often saving things from applications and just get a useless title giving the application name, web sites often have terrible titles as well...
-Todd
david_c

Postby david_c » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 pm

luckman212 wrote:I would prefer if the option to 'use first line of note as title' was user-selectable... because in my case I would much prefer it if CintaNotes just displayed the create date as the title when no title is entered.

:idea: If Alex opts for the "first line as title" idea, by leaving the first line in your note blank, only the date would be shown in the title. This would appear to solve your problem.
luckman212

Postby luckman212 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I don't think leaving the first line of all my notes blank is an elegant solution. Consider the cleanup involved if one day i decide to export my notes to another system, for example.
david_c

Postby david_c » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 pm

luckman212 wrote:I don't think leaving the first line of all my notes blank is an elegant solution. Consider the cleanup involved if one day i decide to export my notes to another system, for example.

How is it different from your wanting just the date in the title? The date would still show up as part of the title in the same way it does now. You could still filter your notes by date, tag, etc.
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 pm

david_c wrote:
luckman212 wrote:I don't think leaving the first line of all my notes blank is an elegant solution. Consider the cleanup involved if one day i decide to export my notes to another system, for example.

How is it different from your wanting just the date in the title? The date would still show up as part of the title in the same way it does now. You could still filter your notes by date, tag, etc.

Same question - Alex doesn't have to change anything in my opinion, the only difference would be the date on the left side of your title as opposed to the right side as it is now, am I missing something?

Don't know why you would want to move to another system...CintaNotes is nearly ideal even in beta! :D
-Todd
DStrohma

Postby DStrohma » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:53 am

hi all,

i havent read all the topics but i would prefer to hide the top-menu (file, edit, view, ...) because i dont need it. and it would be great if there would be the possibility to change the order of the notes (click and hold on a note and then drag it above a other note)

thx and bye
dave
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Drag'n'drop selected note(s) would be a great addition, especially if it could be done out of CN window to create scrap(s) [text file(s)] in chosen place (folder)... or between notebooks, for that matter. :|
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 pm

DStrohma wrote:it would be great if there would be the possibility to change the order of the notes (click and hold on a note and then drag it above a other note)

Dave, you can move notes currently by clicking on the note(s) then using ALT + Up and Down - click and drag is not available yet
-Todd
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Midas wrote:Drag'n'drop selected note(s) would be a great addition, especially if it could be done out of CN window to create scrap(s) [text file(s)] in chosen place (folder)... or between notebooks, for that matter. :|

Sounds like a bit of a challenge for Alex, but I like the idea - could be used for passwords and other programming commands, taglines, etc. that are frequently used.
-Todd

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”