relationships between snippets

jaroet

relationships between snippets

Postby jaroet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello,

Just started with cintanotes coming from TheBrain. I am looking for a piece of software that is less resource hungry. I like Cintanotes a lot. Fast for input, search, tagging almost everything. As I foresee a large Cintanotes database with many thousands of notes I am looking for another way to link different notes to each other. Tags are nice to do this in general but a more detailed level of building relationships is what I need.

I would like to be able to press a hotkey and that an "add relationship" dialog is presented with a search-field.
Now I can search for the note I want to make a relationship with and hit the OK button (or ENTER). Then the relationship is created visible at both sides of the relationship. Multiple relationships to different notes should be possible. All related notes should be made visible in a seperate way (much like the tags are visible now).

This way you could for example list all projectmembers with their personal information to a project. Visible in one instant and immidiatly clickable. With tags you always need a new search.

I think this kind of functionality would be a great benifit to all people in a knowledge intensive job (I am a BI consultant) and I think would be relatively easy to implement without bloating Cintanotes.

It transforms Cintanotes from a tool to insert knowledge in and search for it later to a tool which will help you to see relations between different notes in Cintanotes and support your own workflow.

This is off course a small write-up for adding a certain functionality to Cintanotes so there might some point to be explained more but I do like to hear if somebody (the developer?) is interested to investigate such a solution.

I am new to Cintanotes so I might overlook some function in Cintanotes that makes what I want already possible to do. But I read the help document carefully and I think it is not possible at the current time.

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Jeroen
Thomas Lohrum

Re: relationships between snippets

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:57 pm

It's already on the roadmap. You can vote for it here: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/3393-linking-notes-with-each-other/

Thomas
jaroet

Postby jaroet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for the link ...

Voted for it and added a link to this post with my wish.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 am

Hi jaroet, and welcome to the forum!
Yes, Thomas is right, the linking notes feature is already on the roadmap.
The more people vote for it the sooner it will be implemented!
Alex
jaroet

Postby jaroet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am

The reason I do not want the links to be a part of the note-text is that there sometimes is not a clear and simple way to describe the link.

And I do not want to add text to my note just to create a link to another note because that link-text add's no true value to the text in the note and distracts when reading it. The text of the note and the link are independant of each other.

Especially when you have multiple links (2 websites, a folder on your computer and about 5 internal links (persons for example) to other notes) you have to add all that textually into your note. That removes the focus on what the note was all about.

Jeroen
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 pm

I think it is obvious that both cases are valid: links from note's text and general links. I think CintaNotes should support both.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”