Feature Requests

Which features would be most important for you? (Pick 3)

Advanced search (incl. regular expressions)
5%
Alarms in notes
4%
Attaching images and files
13%
Automatic backups
3%
Basic formatting
11%
Better tag management
7%
Check for new versions command
2%
Displaying tags and links in the notes list
3%
Expanding and collapsing notes in the list
5%
Export: more formats and more configurable
3%
Importing notes from XML and other formats
2%
Hotkeys to activate CintaNotes and to add a new note
1%
Links inside notes
9%
Multiple language support (UI in your native language)
4%
Multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
7%
Opening multiple note windows
2%
Option to clip without main window showing up (silent clipping)
2%
Printing notes
4%
Tabbed note categories
11%
Other (please describe in a post)
2%

Total votes: 1051
lcsoton

Re: Feature Request

Postby lcsoton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:45 am

one more thing..

1. Hotkey to add current date and time into note.
lcsoton

Postby lcsoton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 am

oh, me again, I love this app, so one more request :D

1. Add "Always on Top" button or hotkey for note editor window. It's convenient for taking notes while reading doc.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am

2muchtv wrote:A feature that I haven't seen on this forum is a hotkey to bring up the main window (instead of clicking on the system tray). Then I'd definitely replace my current quick note taking system with this one.
I've put it on the roadmap and since it is not difficult to implement, you can expect to see it in one of the next versions (I try to release 2 versions per month).
2muchtv wrote:Two other features that are a plus for me are some way of organizing the notes in a hierarchy (I'm not a tag person) and some type of simple formatting (bold, italics).
Currently the following options for note organizing is planned:
- Support for multiple notebook files with fast switching between them
- Tabbed note categories.
As for now, no tree-like hierarchies are planned since I believe that the hierarchy offered by notebooks/categories/tags should be enough. If I'm wrong maybe I will reconsider this later.
2muchtv wrote:I believe that they have been requested and are in the works, but I thought I'd lend a *go-go horray* cheer to incorporate those.
Well now you can cast your vote, both features are in the poll above) But please take into account that the poll just helps me make decision, since I have to take into account many other variables such as: how difficult is a feature to implement, how much of the codebase should be changed etc.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

Hooly,
thank you for your suggestions! All of them are available in the poll, please just vote for them :)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 am

Hi lcsoton,

>1. Option to change font format displayed in note editor.
In the next version the font of the editor will be the same as in notes list.

>2. Show tag in note ( maybe 2nd line of header).
>3. Can choose pre-defined or used tags.
>4. Tag cloud. (easy to manager notes)
>5. Open multiple notes windows.
>6. Header displayed only view. (Can list out more notes in windows)
These features are already planned. Please vote for 3 most important in the poll above to increase their priority.

>7. Main window can be minimized when note editor window is open. And also keep the main window in tray when add a new note.
I've put it in plan.

>1. Hotkey to add current date and time into note.
Could you elaborate why would you need this? Because each note gets timestamped automatically.

>1. Add "Always on Top" button or hotkey for note editor window. It's convenient for taking notes while reading doc.
Will be released in BetaM6.

Thanks!
Alex
Pierre

Re: Feature Requests

Postby Pierre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 am

Some of the requests mentioned before can be solved with autohotakey (or I assume AutoIT).

For instance:
launch CintaNotes with WIN+N, if already running activate it

Code: Select all

#n,::
if not WinExist( "ahk_class Cinta.Frame" )
   Run %mydir%\CintaNotes\CintaNotes.exe
WinActivate
Return

insert data hotkey (works in all programs, various formats

Code: Select all

;date and time
:O:!dd::
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, dd MMMM yyyy
SendInput %CurrentDateTime%
return

:O:!d::
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, dd MMM
SendInput %CurrentDateTime%
return

:O:!v::
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyy MM dd
SendInput (%CurrentDateTime%)
return

P.
lcsoton

Postby lcsoton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:37 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi lcsoton,

>1. Hotkey to add current date and time into note.
Could you elaborate why would you need this? Because each note gets timestamped automatically.

Thanks!

Some kind of notes, such as meeting minutes for one project but in different date, I prefer putting them in one note for simple and clear.
Well, we may have differrent habit for note-taking, but it would be better to have a choice. ;)

I am looking forwards to your next release. I love this simply but functional app. :D
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Suggestion around the note's time display:
a/ show it smaller and/or in different color from rest of notes title. I find it hard to spot the note I'm looking for because of those long time string that all look the same
b/ allow to select time format. For instance give a short time format or allow full customization (YY/MM/DD HH ...)
c/ maybe put time at right of note's title, aligned right?
yclipse

Postby yclipse » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:13 am

>Mapping of the text export for the inclusion of extra elements (ex.: defining notes separator)

I would agree. Having CintaNotes add a user-defined delimiter/separator would help with transfer to other applications.

I would add: Allowing the user to specify what goes where on text export. Right now CN produces on export:

[Date/Time stamp] Title - source

Content

URL

I would like each element other than content to be optional and to be able to specify the order in which they appear.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 am

lcsoton wrote:Some kind of notes, such as meeting minutes for one project but in different date, I prefer putting them in one note for simple and clear.

I see. Well, I tend to agree with Pierre: this indeed can be easily solved by such programs as AutoHotkey, DirectAccess and the like, and you'll get the extra benefit of the hot key working in any application and not just CintaNotes.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 am

Pierre wrote:Some of the requests mentioned before can be solved with autohotakey (or I assume AutoIT).
For instance:[...]
Wow, that's neat! Thanks for posting this!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:47 am

Pierre wrote:Suggestion around the note's time display:
a/ show it smaller and/or in different color from rest of notes title. I find it hard to spot the note I'm looking for because of those long time string that all look the same
b/ allow to select time format. For instance give a short time format or allow full customization (YY/MM/DD HH ...)

Excellent suggestions, why didn't I think of that before?) Thanks!
And easy to implement) I think I'll do them right away and release in BetaM6 (well, except date customization). Actually CintaNotes picks up your system's date and time format, what's wrong with that?
I'll just remove seconds from time as I think no one really needs that kind of accuracy)
Maybe I should also cut the year to two digits, what do you think?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:50 am

lcsoton wrote:1. Option to change font format displayed in note editor.
Default font is too small and display uglily Chinese characters.
I've just noticed... does CintaNotes really work with Chinese??? :shock:
I haven't done anything yet to enable that, well except Unicode...
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 am

yclipse wrote:>
I would agree. Having CintaNotes add a user-defined delimiter/separator would help with transfer to other applications.
I would add: Allowing the user to specify what goes where on text export. Right now CN produces on export:
[Date/Time stamp] Title - source
Content
URL
I would like each element other than content to be optional and to be able to specify the order in which they appear.

I'm thinking about a template-based solution, so that you can write a template like
===================
$TITLE
===================
$TEXT
(from $LINK)

Alex
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Pierre wrote:Suggestion around the note's time display:

Excellent suggestions, why didn't I think of that before?) Thanks!
And easy to implement) I think I'll do them right away and release in BetaM6 (well, except date customization). Actually CintaNotes picks up your system's date and time format, what's wrong with that?
I'll just remove seconds from time as I think no one really needs that kind of accuracy)

Thank you for being so open to suggestions!

Yes, removing seconds and cutting year to two digits sound good to me. Then indeed date customization is not really needed I think.
lcsoton

Postby lcsoton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:45 am

lcsoton wrote:1. Option to change font format displayed in note editor.
Default font is too small and display uglily Chinese characters.
I've just noticed... does CintaNotes really work with Chinese??? :shock:
I haven't done anything yet to enable that, well except Unicode...

Yes, it works great with Chinese, even search function! That's why I love this app. I have been using Evernote for a long time, but it cannot search Chinese :x .
I guess CintaNotes has better Unicode support. If new release has import function and better tag management, I guess I will import all my notes to it from Evernote :D
lcsoton

Postby lcsoton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am

lcsoton wrote:Some kind of notes, such as meeting minutes for one project but in different date, I prefer putting them in one note for simple and clear.

I see. Well, I tend to agree with Pierre: this indeed can be easily solved by such programs as AutoHotkey, DirectAccess and the like, and you'll get the extra benefit of the hot key working in any application and not just CintaNotes.

Well, I agree that we can use AHK to solve some problem. Actually, I once wrote a simple note-taking tool by AHK. But I suppose CintaNotes is not for geek only. So It's better have more useful option if it is not hard to achieve. :)
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Pierre wrote:
Pierre wrote:[...]
b/ allow to select time format. For instance give a short time format or allow full customization (YY/MM/DD HH...)
[...]

[...]And easy to implement) I think I'll do them right away and release in BetaM6 (well, except date customization). Actually CintaNotes picks up your system's date and time format, what's wrong with that?

Thank you for being so open to suggestions!
Yes, removing seconds and cutting year to two digits sound good to me. Then indeed date customization is not really needed I think.

Could this be made optional? I don't much care for down to the second accuracy, but I would prefer to have my dates in an ISO compliant format (yyyy-MM-dd) so they increment numerically and gracefully, and making way for easy parsing -- although my system time is set to a dd-MM-yy for readability sake... :geek:
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 pm

... I forgot to add that I really like the idea of template based note export! :lol:
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Midas wrote:Could this be made optional? I don't much care for down to the second accuracy, but I would prefer to have my dates in an ISO compliant format (yyyy-MM-dd) so they increment numerically and gracefully, and making way for easy parsing -- although my system time is set to a dd-MM-yy for readability sake... :geek:

Both approaches are compatible: notes could be stored (and exported) with full time format, that would also be used for accurate sorting, but the interface could show the simplified format. Or at least I guess it would be possible.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”