Here's my feedback.
First and foremost, I love that your programme has a very clean and simple interface, is portable, it is really fast and it leaves a small memory and cpu footprint. Please keep this up! I just started to use a few weeks ago, it came as a perfect gap-filler.
As I was reading this long thread, I found out about some great features that I hadn't known about, like:
- clicking tray icon to open/minimise window
- Ctrl up/down to switch between search modes
- Alt up/down to arrange notes
- F4 to add/remove tags
These are the features that have already been mentioned and I would like to see them implemented too:
- multiple notebooks, displayed in tabs
- open several notes at the same time
- expand a note to full size in list view
- use operators in the search field: "?", "*", "AND", "OR", "-"
- find untagged notes
- existing tags auto suggest
- very basic formatting (bold, italic, underline, tab button)
- search within a note (with Ctrl-F maybe)
- not to bog down the user with too many options (aka. "simple mode", "expert mode")
- optional password protection
- clicking on a tag to display all notes with that tag (a question is how this should be implemented when there are multiple notebooks)
- url detection (urls to be clickable)
- hide/archive notes: this can be done when multiple notebooks are introduced, by transferring notes to an "archive" notebook
- hide vertical scroll bar: there's really no need for it (but I don't mind if you keep it)
These are the features that I would not like to see introduced:
- merging the title and the text field (keeping it separated means the UI is clean and simple)
- making the year in the date 2-digit -- please, keep it as it is (yyyy)
- hide date / time
- hierarchical tabs: the 3-level organisation you mentioned is just fine, and the lack of label hierarcy can be solved by the use of search operators ("AND", "OR", "-")
- prefix searches: Ctrl up/down is enough -- you cold make the icons more different from each other though
- note expiration date: I don't need this
- alarms: ditto -- I use an alarm clock software for this
- direct edit in list view: I'd rather have the expand note feature when I click on one
- synchronisation options: not necessary, this can be done by other software, e.g. SyncToy
- include pictures, files, colourful tags, drag&drop, other fancy features: only if they do not slow down the software
And finally, these are my suggestions:
- the transfer of notes between notebooks to be done with a drop-down menu, and with the options of "copy" and "move" (I would not like drag&drop to slow down the prog)
- controlled export: export notes that you select by Ctrl-clicking
- the ability to select text while in list view (so that you don't need to open the note)
- when editing a note, these buttons should be there bottom right: "Save", "Cancel", "Save & close", and in this order, so that we are less likely to accidentally discard a longer editing session
- more options when setting hot keys, e.g. backspace-F12 to display the main window -- much easier to press than Alt-Ctrl-F12
- make the Ctrl up/down search selection go in a circle: I mean pressing Ctrl-F and then Ctrl-up should go to "search tags"
- the colour themes should include stronger colours as well
- 3 presets for text clipping (maybe with different hotkeys too): 1) use application's name as title, 2) use first line of clipped text as title and 3) leave title blank
- translation: I can help (to translate to Hungarian) if you decide to localise the software -- not a global language, but a language nonetheless...
That's all, I hope it was not too tiring to read all this.
Looking forward to the updates