Links broken

Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Links broken

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Alex,

i am able to demonstrate a use case where internal links still get broken. As i have reported before, i still have problems with them, as they get corrupted many times.

Steps to reproduce
  • create a note with title "#Note1"
  • create a note with title "Note2"
  • edit "Note2" by adding the following two lines of text
    * #Note1
    * Note2 äöüß
    Please note, that the asterisk represents a bullet and the first line is an internal link!
  • select the two lines
  • cut the text by pressing Shift+Del

You can now see, that the remaining bullet is in blue color, indicating something's wrong.

Please note, this is somewhat artificial, but it demonstrates, that there is an issue with internal links.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links broken

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Alex,

did you take notice of this thread?

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4747
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links broken

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Thomas,

Yes I did. Thanks for your report. I'll need to do a bit of investigation then I'll get back to you.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4747
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links broken

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:20 am

Hi Thomas,

Denis has investigated the issue and tells me that this is a rendering bug of RichEdit, and the links in the database remain correct.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links broken

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Alex,

thanks for checking. As said the demo is awkward and it turned out not to demonstrate the issue of links getting broken. I noticed an issue with them when selecting and cutting text containing internal links. Unfortunately the test case does not reproduce the issue. It's really hard to nail down this one.

Thomas
date
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:15 am
Contact:

Re: Links broken

Postby date » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:05 pm

If 'broken links' means either text starting with http:// not properly linkified, or links that are only partially in the link font (Like this,) or links that somehow extends the link (-style) to the first character on the next line, I have a few Notes in which those occur.
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links broken

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm

date wrote:If 'broken links' means either text starting with http:// not properly linkified, or links that are only partially in the link font (Like this,) or links that somehow extends the link (-style) to the first character on the next line, I have a few Notes in which those occur.

Hi date,

yes these are the kind of problems related to links. However it must be distinguished, whether the link is external like http or internal to another note link. Thus there are different problems. The http problem for example is related to a paint bug in the rich edit control (as far as i can remember). My main issue is related to internal links, as they get corrupted. It needs a manual fix to get them working again. I use them a lot, that is, why i find the issue quite annoying.

Thomas
date
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:15 am
Contact:

Re: Links broken

Postby date » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:35 pm

The first example might be a painting bug, but the last two are not, because they are exported like that in the XML.
I don't use internal links but I can see there is some funny behavior with characters like #äö+[]\§.

For example, when you have a note, and type in the body:

Code: Select all

#test

and press Ctrl-Shift-Home, and Alt-Shift-N to make a link, #test becomes a link, fully clickable.
However, when you type in the body:

Code: Select all

test
#test

and, with the cursor at the end, Shift-Home and Alt-Shift-N again, #test becomes a link, however the # is not clickable, unlike the first time.

There is some more unusual behavior relating to those characters, for example, when you type

Code: Select all

##ää

the Shift-Ctrl-arrow key left stops working. With this pasted in a note body:

Code: Select all

a etsseta asdfds adsfdsfü+ö+ #äö#äö#äö pülüp.-,.,-.,-.,-., \;'\;'\;\';'\;';

and the cursor at the end, the Ctrl-arrow left goes past the first äö but stops working thereafter.
Also had the impression the Ctrl-Z key was making things up or didn't work.

Well this is trivial and not a real-world example, but these examples indicate there is some non-standard behavior relating to some characters. Perhaps next time, remember what characters come in front of a broken link, or note titles, perhaps that helps to find out what's causing your links to break.
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Links broken

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi date,

thanks for your examples. A while ago there was a fix for some special characters that could cause broken links, for example the euro symbol "€". I observe this issue for more than two years. Though there was some improvement, the issue could not be solved so far.

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4747
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Links broken

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 am

Yes, it must be something about characters that require more that one keystroke to type.
CN keeps track of every keypress and assumes that the link positions should be shifted according the number of characters typed.
So I guess some Unicode pseudo-characters that eat a keystroke, but don't take any place, should be to blame here.
Most of them are already accounted for. We only need to find out which are not..
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”