New Clipping Mode

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
User avatar
usbpoweredfridge
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm
Contact:

New Clipping Mode

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:00 am

At the moment, there are 3 clipping modes (in "Use as Title"). I am finding that none of them are satisfactory. There are two possible clipping situations. The first is that you have some text selected in the target application window, and the second is where you do not have any text selected.

If I have "Application Title" selected:
a. No text selected: CintaNotes fills the title field (which is good), it leaves the text area empty (good), but it does not automatically complete the Link field (bad, because it is more work for me to have to manually copy and paste this into the field and considering I work exclusively with a web browser, this drives me bonkers).
b. Text selected: CintaNotes fills the title field (bad, as it is the wrong text, if I have text selected I want it to be used as the title), it adds a duplicate text to the text field (bad, because then I have to delete it manually), but it does complete the Link field (good).

The lack of CintaNotes completing the Link field is a serious issue for me, so I swap to the next mode.

If I have "First Line of Text" selected:
a. No text selected: CintaNotes creates a totally blank note, which is bad all around as I have to fill in every field manually.
b. Text selected: CintaNotes fills the title field with the selected text (good), it adds a duplicate text to the text field (bad, because then I have to delete it manually), but it does complete the Link field (good).

So far, each mode has problems that drive me mad, so I swap to the last mode.

If I have "Blank Line" selected:
a. No text selected: CintaNotes creates a totally blank note, which is bad all around as I have to fill in every field manually.
b. Text selected: CintaNotes leaves the title field blank (bad, as I have to manually add this), it adds the selected text to the text field (good), but it does complete the Link field (good).

So to summarise, there is no mode that currently does not cause me problems. So, this is what I want. A mode which:
a. If I have text selected, it completes the title field with that same text, it does not put anything into the text field (ie it does not duplicate the title field as the current modes do), and it does complete the Link field.
b. If I do not have text selected, it uses the application title as the title field, it does not put anything into the text field, and it does complete the Link field.
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4712
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:28 am

Hi usbpoweredfridge,
thanks for your suggestion!

I understand the problem.

Actually filling the URL when no text is selected is a really difficult technical problem, since CintaNotes takes the URL from the clipboard, and when no text is selected, there's nothing that can be put into the clipboard.
But a suggestion to do something about this already exists: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/320 ... ion-empty/

About using the selected text as the title. What if you select a lot of text? Are you sure that all of it should be put into the title?
Or maybe you can think of some rules how to split it into title/text?
Alex
User avatar
usbpoweredfridge
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm
Contact:

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi usbpoweredfridge,
Actually filling the URL when no text is selected is a really difficult technical problem, since CintaNotes takes the URL from the clipboard, and when no text is selected, there's nothing that can be put into the clipboard.
But a suggestion to do something about this already exists: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/320 ... ion-empty/


Cool, thanks.

About using the selected text as the title. What if you select a lot of text? Are you sure that all of it should be put into the title?
Or maybe you can think of some rules how to split it into title/text?


Well, personally I only ever select one single line of text so it isn't an issue, but I can see that some people may select multiple lines now that you point it out. Is there any way to detect if multiple lines are selected or only one line? If so:
a. One line selected - use as title.
b. Multiple lines selected - use first line as title, insert the rest of the lines into the text field
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4712
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Well, personally I only ever select one single line of text so it isn't an issue, but I can see that some people may select multiple lines now that you point it out. Is there any way to detect if multiple lines are selected or only one line? If so:
a. One line selected - use as title.
b. Multiple lines selected - use first line as title, insert the rest of the lines into the text field


Well I can only judge for myself, but more often than not this wouldn't be convenient for me. When I clip text, I want all of it to go to note body, and the title to be taken from the web page title.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
usbpoweredfridge wrote:Well, personally I only ever select one single line of text so it isn't an issue, but I can see that some people may select multiple lines now that you point it out. Is there any way to detect if multiple lines are selected or only one line? If so:
a. One line selected - use as title.
b. Multiple lines selected - use first line as title, insert the rest of the lines into the text field


Well I can only judge for myself, but more often than not this wouldn't be convenient for me. When I clip text, I want all of it to go to note body, and the title to be taken from the web page title.

Hi Alex,

i did not follow the discussion here. Personally i select one single line of text from the web page which i often use as the note's title. Sometimes i edit a title on my own and clip the selected text to the body, together with the page's link.

Thomas
User avatar
usbpoweredfridge
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm
Contact:

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:13 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well I can only judge for myself, but more often than not this wouldn't be convenient for me. When I clip text, I want all of it to go to note body, and the title to be taken from the web page title.


I guess that is an option, I didn't think of that. Really, the biggest issue for me is that in my preferred mode (Application Title, with no text selected), I have to keep filling in the Link field manually. Application Title, text selected of course fills in the Link field, but then screws up the other two fields (title and body), which means manual work for me.

There is just no mode where I don't have to do manual work to fix up a note :(
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4712
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: New Clipping Mode

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 am

Sorry that I disappeared from this topic for a while.

Ok, I think it's time to come up with the plan how to fix this.

I suggest the following:
1) Change the program behavior when "Options/Clipping/Use as Title/First Line of Text" is selected: the first line of text should be put into Title, and _not duplicated_ in the note body.
2) Wait till Save URL even if selection empty/ feature is implemented.

Would that fit the bill?
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”